shape
carat
color
clarity

alternatives to $1000 costco diamond studs or did I get the best deal in town already?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whispers

Rough_Rock
I just bought a pair of 14k white gold. diamond stud earrings with screwback posts. Each earring is set with one round brilliant cut diamond. Total weight 0.62cts with Costco''s usual VS2 and I. I paid $999 and the appraisal sheet I got says replacement value $2050 which I figured was a "make you feel like you got a baragin" piece of paper.

I have read a bit on PS and am, like most noobs, wondering if I got a good deal @ $999 or if I could do better online, or if at the VS2|I|0.62ct level that''s pretty much par for the course and I''d have to go up a lot in cash to get anything better than what I have currently. I went into a jeweller in the mall that sold the hearts on fire diamond earrings (total 0.5cts) was $1950, with another set that were the same size and not quite hearts on fire quality @ 1550.

Anyway I''m wondering if it''s better to get from GoodOldGold, James Allen, WhiteFlash and buy a mount from them or get them mounted somewhere else, what''s best?

On James Allen I found 2 Round 0.31 carat, execellent cut, H color VS2 clarity diamonds for about $950 total, then mounts were between $110 and $375. I tried their design your own earrings, chose the mount but then it didn''t find any 0.3-0.33 loose diamonds (strange since there were a bunch when I picked the two I mentioned above).

I want to make sure I''m spending in the right places for diamond studs, like is it better to get clarity I and a larger diamond than going for H and smaller diamond when buying studs?

Anyway hoping I can get some guidance here and if I should use my costco return policy to full affect :).

Thanks

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Tragically only 3 of the 4 Cs are understood and mentioned by many diamond sellers.
Cut is the most important C affecting the beauty of a diamond.

You have not mentioned the specs that tell us how well the diamonds are cut.

Look on the report and find:

Depth%
Table %
Crown Angle in degrees
Pavilion Angle in degrees.

Then we can find out how good the cut is.

I would never buy a diamond without knowing these four numbers.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
My concern would be the cut of your stones and the certification. Were they certified? Do you know the crown and pavilion angles?

I got a pair of 0.72ctw studs for $800 something online (but granted this was over two years ago and my stones are K SI1-SI2 with top cuts and GIA certs, so we''re not comparing apples to apples). I used the Holloway Cut Adviser up top under tools to select my earrings, and I love love love them. Cut is definitely key.

I have no problem with I color but I wouldn''t restrict yourself to VS clarity in earrings of this size. SI should be just fine and enable you to make sure you''re getting the cut you want in addition to the size and price.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Which lab graded the Costco diamonds I VS2?

Not all labs use the same standards.

Shocking but true.

I just went to Costco's website and noticed IGI grades some of their diamonds.
7.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2009 8:28:05 PM
Author:whispers
I just bought a pair of 14k white gold. diamond stud earrings with screwback posts. Each earring is set with one round brilliant cut diamond. Total weight 0.62cts with Costco's usual VS2 and I. I paid $999 and the appraisal sheet I got says replacement value $2050 which I figured was a 'make you feel like you got a baragin' piece of paper.

I have read a bit on PS and am, like most noobs, wondering if I got a good deal @ $999 or if I could do better online, or if at the VS2|I|0.62ct level that's pretty much par for the course and I'd have to go up a lot in cash to get anything better than what I have currently. I went into a jeweller in the mall that sold the hearts on fire diamond earrings (total 0.5cts) was $1950, with another set that were the same size and not quite hearts on fire quality @ 1550.

Anyway I'm wondering if it's better to get from GoodOldGold, James Allen, WhiteFlash and buy a mount from them or get them mounted somewhere else, what's best?

On James Allen I found 2 Round 0.31 carat, execellent cut, H color VS2 clarity diamonds for about $950 total, then mounts were between $110 and $375. I tried their design your own earrings, chose the mount but then it didn't find any 0.3-0.33 loose diamonds (strange since there were a bunch when I picked the two I mentioned above).

I want to make sure I'm spending in the right places for diamond studs, like is it better to get clarity I and a larger diamond than going for H and smaller diamond when buying studs?

Anyway hoping I can get some guidance here and if I should use my costco return policy to full affect :).

Thanks

Ironically, I have a similar pair of studs (smaller though) purchased by my mom from Sam's Club (it was a present). They're very pretty, though not close to being ACAs. But I was just contemplating getting them reset - the screwbacks are killing my ears, and it takes forever to get them on or off, so I hardly ever wear them! I think the diamonds sold there aren't bad necessarily - mine came with an IGI cert, and they're pretty white and sparkly, though not amazing. That said, if I had the money and opportunity, I would totally get ACAs or BGD Signatures instead. Unfortunately, I'm just looking into a reset right now due to money reasons, but if you can afford it, I'd definitely check out WF or BGD.

shelleydog

Shiny_Rock
I would go with someone who has a great upgrade policy (BGD, Whiteflash, etc.) I have a pair of 1.42 tcw studs we got from a B&M before we knew anything diamonds. I wish I would have gotten them with an upgrade policy where you don''t need to double the cost. I upgraded my pendant stone I got from Whiteflash and the process was painless.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would get the diamonds from a PS vendor with an upgrade policy. BUT... I would have the vendor get me Stuller Martini or 4 prong Basket settings in 14K. I priced them out for my 5 mm garnets and all the qoutes were MUCH less than any of the 'in house' settings offered by our vendors.

http://www.jamesallen.com/build_your_earring.asp?cid=471&module=diamonds&item1=1213034&item2=1213035 pair posted before are beautiful and with these in house settings actually they come at budget for you with the 1.5% PS discount (I think it's with a wire, but I could be wrong).

whispers

Rough_Rock
Yeah, unfortunately the "Appraisal" form from Costco gives none of the cut information, the information I listed above is pretty much all that''s on the cert!
7.gif

whispers

Rough_Rock
However thanks for all the info I''ve gotten so far, think I may be returning them in the very near future! :)

whispers

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped make my decision and also found james allen to be very helpful and quick to respond, especially when I called to chang my order slightly.

In the end I went for the following:

http://www.jamesallen.com/build_your_earring.asp?cid=180&module=diamonds&item1=1197244&item2=1197246

Diamond Details
Item Number: 1197244
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 0.36
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: VVS2
Certificate: AGS

Depth: 60.2%
Table: 56.1%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet:
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 4.60*4.65*2.79

Crown Angle: 33.8°
Crown %: 14.80
pavilion Angle: 40.7°
pavilion %: 42.80

Diamond Details
Item Number: 1197246
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 0.37
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: AGS

Depth: 60.7%
Table: 55.2%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet:
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 4.67*4.71*2.84

Crown Angle: 33.9°
Crown %: 15.20
pavilion Angle: 40.8°
pavilion %: 42.90

Specifically went for a the best cut I could get at 0.73tcw. After all she was born in '73, she's 36 today and you never know what will happen when she turns 37! ;-)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those should be a nice match Whispers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results