shape
carat
color
clarity

Allergy recommendations

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fall leaves are killing me this year. I was taking 24 hr Zyrtec 2x/day but no help. Now I’m on Allegra and Sudafed but I run like a faucet. It makes it difficult to work as I wear a mask and I can feel the faucet dripping on my lip as I work. HELP!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the one thing that helps is cleaning your nose. either a netipot or something similar (I never use tap water for that process)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH takes alfalfa pills to help with seasonal allergies. It seems to help him and it's a natural remedy.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
See an allergist!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
As someone with severe allergies (and I did allergy shots for 10 years), my best tips:

-shower before bed to remove allergens before sleeping
-nasal spray like Flonase or Nasacort
-wash all bedding regularly
-you can double up on meds, if needed, like take a Zyrtec AND a Benadryl
-allergy shots work; see an allergist who can do a skin test

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my allergies get bad, I take to allerclear (costco claritin) and a couple shots of flonase sensimist. if I am stuffy, then one allerclear and a generic claritin d (costco brand).

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What rubybeth said. Also, try Xyzal. It takes a few days to build up in your system and start working. Take it at night so you're not as groggy during the day. When it kicks in, it works well.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot I have Flonase. I will give that a try. I think a trip to the allergist is on order!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubbing some Vaseline or lip salve just below the nostrils helps for hay fever by catching some of the pollen, maybe that would work in this situation?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good recommendations above. One thing that has not yet been mentioned is the supplement D-Hist. My holistic practitioner swears by this.

https://www.orthomolecularproducts.com/natural-d-hist/

And just to add, my dh has been getting allergy shots for over 15 years and they work like a charm (for him). He started with weekly shots and now is down once a month or so. His severe allergies to kitties/dogs/dust/pollen etc has decreased dramatically. He skipped the shots the entire summer (due to our schedule) and is still doing OK but is resuming them now.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As someone with severe allergies (and I did allergy shots for 10 years), my best tips:

-shower before bed to remove allergens before sleeping
-nasal spray like Flonase or Nasacort
-wash all bedding regularly
-you can double up on meds, if needed, like take a Zyrtec AND a Benadryl
-allergy shots work; see an allergist who can do a skin test

This is what I do. I take Zyrtec (Reactine here in Canada) 10 mg/day. Flonase or Nasacort (I prefer Nasacort) daily - it's amazing the difference it makes. Wash *everything* regularly - I'm allergic to dust and pollen and pet dander and a whole host of other things, and honestly having a cleaning service come in once a week to wash the floors, vacuum, and dust has done wonders for my allergies - as has making sure that there's no mold in the bathroom - a 1 part bleach to 2 part water spray takes care of any grout mildew pretty efficiently. Avoid any scented products of any kind (nothing sends me running for kleenex more than perfume). Seeing an allergist also helped, even though the 3 weeks of not being able to take antihistamines prior to the skin testing is horrible. I was shocked at the things my skin testing revealed that I was allergic to, and then doing an elimination diet/adding one food back in at a time helped a lot to identify the sneakier food allergies that don't necessarily make me break out in immediate hives like my more severe allergies do, but did cause more subtle symptoms of congestion and GI issues (before that I had no idea that they could do that). Plus, I found out that there were a host of medications/supplements that I should avoid (like echinacea) due to issues of cross reacting. With a multipronged approach it does get better.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son’s allergy test was really terrible. He was allergic to every tree, grass, and plant in the area. He was also allergic to molds, dogs and cats but he wasn’t allergic to dust...?

He takes Allegra and Flonase everyday. In the spring and fall he also has to take singulair. When he comes to my house, he has to take Claritin on top of all of that because he’s really allergic to my dog.

We were going to start him on a program of local honey/bee pollen to see if that would help at all but we wanted to talk to his doctor first.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfume puts me in the grave, it feels like the air is sucked out of the room. Same with fresh flower bouquets. I have allergine cycle on my washer dryer and I do sheets 2x/week. I had to do leaves again today, last time, and I’m dying.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results