shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrites in NYC

Kath1609

Rough_Rock
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a good jeweller in New York city who deals with alexandrites? I am travelling to NYC in November and would like to get a channel set alexandrite ring, with some square cut stones, but I don't know any jewellers in the area (I live in Australia). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, any recommendations for online jewellers who may stock /make such a piece would also be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
Kath

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kath - very few jewellers will hold alexandrites in stock - especially ones to set in a channel set ring. You may find one or two loose stones but it's highly unlikely you'll find somewhere that readily has matched ones. Alexandrite is very difficult to get hold of unfortunately. The only place I would try for the project you're thinking of is www.multicolour.com David Weinberg deals in Alexandrite and has probably seen more than most people. If anybody can do what you want, it'll be him - but he's not in New York. Sorry!

David also now sells jewellery and has some ready made Alex pieces: http://www.davidwein.com/jewelry/list/91411/10/0

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There's a bm store in town here that is selling a 5ct Gia cert act natural Alex that has 80% color change from red to blue. It is eye clean almost loupe clean. They want 35k for it. Who needs ny! Lol.

I know they are super hard to find in any city. If anywhere ny would be a place to find one!

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to kath1609-by all means do shop on ebay-very good selection-read any descriptions carefully-ask ?'s-most if not all buyers r protected w/purchase price & shipping in most cases-almost all my stones were bought this wa & have appr. very well-again my 2 cnts-steve....

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to kath1609-just an example of what i bought several yrs ago on ebay-this is a 2.34 ct russian alexandrite-very good color chg from greenish/blue to purpley/red very good clairity & pretty good cut-my price was under $1200.00 & several apprs. have put this stone well over the $10,000.00 pricerange. the stones r there 2 b had-good shoppin-steve....

041.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
m76steve said:
to kath1609-by all means do shop on ebay-very good selection-read any descriptions carefully-ask ?'s-most if not all buyers r protected w/purchase price & shipping in most cases-almost all my stones were bought this wa & have appr. very well-again my 2 cnts-steve....

OMG Steve I would respectfully disagree where Alex is concerned. Ebay is littered with synthetics. If they're real Alex then the chances are they'll have no colour change. Don't forget the OP is looking for a number of stones to match in a channel setting.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to lovingdiamonds-na na what u sa-iv done to many buys & have yet 2 b dissapointed 2 the point of returning a fake stone-all my stones have been verified-works 4 me-learn grasshopper-with all-do-respect-steve....

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
That alex that 76Steve posted looks to be extremely dark and has very large window. Not sure if thats due to the photograph or not. I am sure alexandrite like that can be found on ebay all the time and would be no problem for you to find there at a halfway decent price. Like LD said just be wary of syn.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to amethystguy-u r correct about my pics-my lighting is not the best & the stone does have a window but i am fully satisfied that the material is authentic-most of my stones have been verified at least twice if not thrice-i do have a small collection of russian LAB grown stones-which have been tested to mirror the real material-fine-but in all stones i have seen including my own there is almost a total lack of any green color, period. the stones r almost 100% color chg but only BLUE to RED, no green-steve....

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are several amazing alexandrites at Pala but again the prices are very high. The stones are from Brazil, though, Gubelin-certified so they are comparable to what other wholesalers charge. I saw several stones on Marc Sarosi's website but can not attest to their quality or % color shift though. Marc also has some jewelry with alexes and, helpfully, once a month there is a "sale" on a stone of the month (e.g. garnet in January, etc.). Consequently, once a year there is an "alex" sale, I just do not remember when.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This is from GIA on synthetic alexandrite with a short list of natural stones that are sold as alexandrites:

"Simulants, synthetics, and alternatives
Synthetic alexandrite was developed in 1973. It can be grown using the flux or Czochralski methods. Synthetic alexandrite will have a similar color change to natural alexandrite, bluish green in daylight and brownish red to purple-red in incandescent light. Synthetic alexandrites often have flux inclusions, triangular metallic platelets, curved striae, or gas bubbles, depending on the growth technique that was used to grow the synthetic. Synthetic alexandrites typically have a slightly lower RI, and stronger fluorescence than natural alexandrites.
Synthetic color-change corundum (of which ruby and sapphire are varieties) was developed approximately in 1909. The color change in alexandrite-like synthetic sapphire will be bluish purple or greenish blue changing to reddish purple, depending on the growth process used to create the synthetics.
Synthetic color-change spinel.
Color-change garnet
Color-change sapphire"

GIA definition of the real thing: "The most sought after alexandrites are a lovely green in daylight or fluorescent light, but change to red or slightly purplish red in the incandescent light from a lamp or candle flame."

I always remember it by thinking alexandrites are red and green, like Christmas. I never buy it because I can't tell the difference between "slightly purplish red" and "reddish purple". :???:

Lastly, considering that the Czars liked Alexandrite (and the ultimate fate of the family line) I found this bit of lore from GIA to be woefully inaccurate: "Alexandrite is said to enable its wearer to foresee danger." :rolleyes:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steve,
If I'm not too nosy, which reputable lab verified your stone?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
m76steve said:
to lovingdiamonds-na na what u sa-iv done to many buys & have yet 2 b dissapointed 2 the point of returning a fake stone-all my stones have been verified-works 4 me-learn grasshopper-with all-do-respect-steve....
Hi there! I have to agree with Steve to some of the points:) I bought my Alex from eBay tan store. It was described as strong color change. I paid for a git certain and yes it is fully natural. I have not seen a truly top grade natural alex. Though my color change is distinct, I would wAnna know just how distinct. Light, moderate or strong? % Of color change.? So I decided to bring it to Singapore reputable nanyang gemological Institute. The gemologist tested it and yes it is a fully natural Alex. And he highlighted that it has a strong distinct color change from greenish - reddish. I am very please with the result and this eBay purchAse. I have decided to set it in a diamond mount. Just wanna share my positive eBay experience;-) o ya, it is rather small 0.64 carats but well polished and well - cut with no window. Eye clean almost loupe clean.

Eta the color in sunlight is pretty green with a tint of yellow sometime bluish. In incadescent it is an obvious purplish red.
Git memo states yellowish green to orangey red. Though I really can't see the orange tint though :)

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to chrono-my stones have been appr. by three different certified gem graduates-all independent-some familiar with other people in the business-iv paid a good deal of $ to assure myself & people i associate with gems that i am representing material that i say it is-i feel i overdo sometimes but that is my bourden-when i sa this is an example of x-im assured to myself this is the stuff x is made of-i have been dealing with gem professionals since early 2000 & have been lucky to meet some very knowledgeable peeps who have given me much good info about what i have & have interest in-i am not a professional gem person but have a real interest in gemstones & helping others who r in the business-when i can contribute to a specific instance on buying or appearance of gems il chime in with my opinion-any return i receive from the pannel is taken as a + i can learn from-my 2 cnts-steve....

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to chicktomato-i think u mentioned something @ inclusions in ur alex-iv read where some inclusions r a definate + as to the value of the stone & id-ing good from best-a good example is demantoid garnet-the russian material in some cases has horsetail inclusions which appear to look like sea grass within the stone-i have a large red spinel that when put under a scope shows @ 6 cubic inclusions-grow inclusions-that help id spinel material from manmade material-in this case the inclusion gives the stone validity & character-my 2 cnts-steve....

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Steve are you channelling ee cummings or are you texting this in . . . :?:

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to ilander-im not texting-am not familar w/ee cummings-just posting in a shorthand type of way-?-not sure how u r comming at me-steve....

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to ilander-this is a learning experience 4 me-i quess i am texting as i enter my replies & i am now familar w/ee cummings-thanks-if my replies seem vague-sorry-will try to correct-steve....

iLander

Ideal_Rock
m76steve said:
to ilander-im not texting-am not familar w/ee cummings-just posting in a shorthand type of way-?-not sure how u r comming at me-steve....

ee cummings was an author who wrote his stories and poetry without capitalization or punctuation and often wrote from the point of view of archie the cockroach required reading when i was in school but i found it very annoying you can write however you wish i was just wondering if that was what you were going for

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
m76steve said:
to chicktomato-i think u mentioned something @ inclusions in ur alex-iv read where some inclusions r a definate + as to the value of the stone & id-ing good from best-a good example is demantoid garnet-the russian material in some cases has horsetail inclusions which appear to look like sea grass within the stone-i have a large red spinel that when put under a scope shows @ 6 cubic inclusions-grow inclusions-that help id spinel material from manmade material-in this case the inclusion gives the stone validity & character-my 2 cnts-steve....

Hi Steve, the alex was graded as vs2 and have slight silk under magnification according the seller. honestly I was a little disappointed as I have not been able to pick up any inclusion with my 10x. Alex is a type 2 stone there should be some inclusion. I will try to look harder:)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
m76steve said:
to ilander-this is a learning experience 4 me-i quess i am texting as i enter my replies & i am now familar w/ee cummings-thanks-if my replies seem vague-sorry-will try to correct-steve....

Sorry, Steve, not trying to get all up in your grill (this is what my teenagers say :tongue: ) just thought you were being very clever. I found it very hilarious and smart of you . . . :D

Sometimes I over think things. . . :rolleyes:

You might want to look through Dana's site at Mastercut Gems, search alexandrite. He has a couple of little cabachons that would make interesting sidestones for a project.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ladies and Gents

Can I just reiterate please - the poster is not looking for a single stone. The OP is looking for several stones to channel set in a ring. There are very few places that stock matched multiple Alexandrite.

Chic - There are some genuine pieces of Alex on Ebay (Tan for example). There are genuine sellers on there BUT unfortunately they are outnumbered by those who aren't. Synthetic Alexandrite is all over Ebay. If you see something marketed as "Russian" then you'd probably be 100% correct if you thought that was either synthetic or low quality! It definitely tells you that the Vendor doesn't really know much about Alex. Like every other stone, you can buy rubbish Alexandrite easily. The problem is that if you've not seen it before it will look ok!

iLander - Despite what you've read, there's only one known Alexandrite that actually turns from green to red (owned by Tino Hammid) and very few people have seen it in real life to qualify the colour change. People will tell you their turns to red - it won't. This is the stuff of folklore and probably because the official colours of the Tsars were Red and Green it helps to perpetuate the tale that this is the stone of the Tsars! Most Alexandrite will turn to a purple red or brown red in incandescent light. Never ever ever a ruby red. Leaving that apart, you don't have to be an afficienado of Alexandrite to distinguish between purple red/pinkish red etc because what's important with an Alex is the percentage of colour change and the strength of colour change. So if you have one that is a green during the day and turns to a purple/red at night or even a magenta/purple etc., so long as the whole stone changes and it's an attractive colour in both colourways (which can be difficult to find) then the Alex will be a good one. The ones to veer away from are yellow/green during the day and orange/brown at night. So if you're interested in buying one don't be put off because, trust me, your eyes will tell you if you have a good one! By the way, NEVER trust photographs of Alex. I can photograph mine to make them look red! I don't of course because what would be the point! Even dreadful Alexandrite photographs with a strong colour change even though your eyes won't see it so you must, if you're going to buy, see a piece in real life.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to chicntomato-iv heard the slight inclusion in alex as silk or spilt-milk inclusion-just because its a type 2 stone doesnt mean there is an inclusion-it could b there & if so would not hurt its properties or affect its value by a large measure-this measure comes w/the territory of a type 2 item-my paraiba is rated fl. & is a type 2 stone-very nice 2 c under a scope under magnification-my 2.345 cnts-i love trying 2 defend myself at times-on guard!!-steve....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steve - I'm sorry but I desperately have trouble reading your posts. I'm mildly dyslexic and so reading "text speak" is almost impossible for me. So I apologise but I think I'm just about the say the same thing as you but in long hand!

Chic - Type 2 means that "typically" inclusions can be expected. However, that doesn't mean that there will always be some. My 3ct Alex is eye clean and yet I have a 2ct with inclusions. It really does depend on each stone. The one you have is a very good specimen if it is so clean. If it has a good colour change also then you're onto a winner. Actually if you see silk it can make the gem look hazy although sometimes enhances the colour change so is a double edge sword.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds, how did you learn all that you know? From collecting? If its okay to ask, how long have you been collecting?

-Minou

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
As a consumer and non-trade member Ld has as much clout as many trade members I know. It's impressive since she is not in the biz. You exect that depth of knowledge from someone who works or deals with stones. I can say the same for Chrono and TL and now RockHugger who has made great steps from her first days on PS(from novice to trade member/G.G.) I value her(LD) and there opinions highly.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to lovingdiamonds-from here on out i will try to express myself so all can better read my thoughts-i to am a little dislexic? i can look at directions on a map & when i tell someone what i see i give them info thats 180 degrees out of phase-i also reverse numbers i read then write them down in reversed order-im left handed also & have been told this is part of the norm-anyway i still enjoy my hobby-iv met some very nice people and have seen gems that some jewelers have only read about-thanks to all who have the same interest as i-steve....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steve,
I hope you won't take this the wrong way but I, too, would appreciate if you at least capitalized the first alphabet of your sentence and typed out the full words. Reading text speak after a few seconds gives me a horrible headache, so I end up glossing over it completely. ::)

Kath1609

Rough_Rock
Hi all, thank you all so much for your help, and stimulating conversation :) I will definitely check out the recommendations :) I am very open to dealing with online stores, I was just hoping to be able to see the stones in person before purchase, but we can't always get what we want :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results