shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite?

samantha11110

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know the difference between a color change garnet and an alexandrite?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're both different mineral species. Alexandrite is a color change chrysoberyl that goes from purplish reddish hues to green depending on the lighting. Higher qualities are extremely expensive. It's also a very hard and durable gem, but unless you get a high quality one, many look muddy and have poor color change.

Color change garnet also shifts color depending on the lighting. I'm not a as familiar with these gems as many are super dark and unattractive to me. I don't recall the hues they shift color to, but some people look at them as a far more affordable alternative to alexandrite.

Beware of vendors selling color shift garnet as color change garnet. Color shift is when a stone goes from one color to a similar color like purple to red, or red to peachy colors. A color "change" stone goes from one color to a completely different hue, like red to green. Some people sell common color shift stones in order to get higher prices by denoting them as color change. Almost all reddish family garnets are color shifters.

Last edited:

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Well said, TL!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results