shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite at MultiColour

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
Any one purchased one from them? Curious if you found the color in their picture matched the color when you received stone. Alex is my 'other' birthstone (I already have some nice pearls) and have always wanted an alex (my budget is only $3K). I do not like round stones at all. Pear, marquise, step cuts, even oval are good.

Although I have seen a couple of stones on their site I love (especially the color shown), I am wondering if the pictures, which are so enlarged, show a stone that in real life will be darker (because it is smaller).

Any help here would be appreciated. This would be for a ring. Possibly some small side diamonds.

Thanks, CMM

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour of their gems is generally less "wow" in person, possibly due to studio lighting and other factors. The dark usually appears a bit darker in person, and the light is usually a bit lighter in person. Always ask David Wein, as he will be honest and upfront with you. Alexandrites are tricky to photograph and that's just its nature.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you (OP) are still looking at an Alex or not, but mine is from Multicolour and I was quite pleased with it in terms of the color compared to the pictures on the site. Attaching the video link from David W. as well as a couple pictures to give you a comparison. Keep in mind however that lighting is different, my Alex is now set, different cameras, light sources, etc., and alexandrite is notoriously difficult to photograph. :wavey:

MC video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/62766553

I don't wear it a ton because I don't love pave as much as I thought I would, so I am thinking about resetting it to get more wear/enjoyment from it. :think:

_6510.jpeg

_6511.jpeg

_6512.jpeg

_6513.jpeg

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness I love your ring, JoCoJenn!!

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
well, I sent David a msg, told him I had been on the 'fence' over which one to buy, less expensive but larger, more expensive but smaller. I did finally make my mind up, so I will be placing order this week and will just have to wait and what I think when it gets here. If I keep it, then I will post pics. CM

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Keeliamira - Thank you! I do love my alex! :love: While it's not the most 'coveted' in terms of color change and it has a bit of a window, I admired it for so long and just knew it was THE one for me. I just wish I could capture in pictures how vibrant the color is that I see in person.

@new-beginning - Keeping fingers crossed that you love it! Definitely post pictures when you get it, even if you end up not loving it/sending it back. That will help others considering similar purchases to know what to/not to expect. :wavey:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! That is substantial for an alex, and I love the tones.

I would love to have an alexandrite someday. I did get myself a color change garnet, but not quite the same. I have a couple settings that would fit a smaller round stone, so maybe someday.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1486999278|4128069 said:
Beautiful ring! That is substantial for an alex, and I love the tones.

I would love to have an alexandrite someday. I did get myself a color change garnet, but not quite the same. I have a couple settings that would fit a smaller round stone, so maybe someday.

Thank you. The Alex is a smidge over 2cts, and I feel very lucky to have snagged it when we did, as David mentioned it was priced on old stock/under market value at the time. I would absolutely keep an eye out on his site for something. :wavey:

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
May I ask who did your setting ? Although you say you aren't as happy with the pave, it looks very nice and I wondered who set it .
Thanks in advance :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GLbluegreen|1488095198|4133802 said:
May I ask who did your setting ? Although you say you aren't as happy with the pave, it looks very nice and I wondered who set it .
Thanks in advance :)

Thank you; and I'm sorry, I didn't mean to infer I didn't like how the pave was done; it's overall everything I asked for; rather, I've since discovered that pave - in general - just isn't really so much 'my thing'. ;-)

The setting was a custom design, and made by Amcor Design in NY.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1486935403|4127884 said:
I don't know if you (OP) are still looking at an Alex or not, but mine is from Multicolour and I was quite pleased with it in terms of the color compared to the pictures on the site. Attaching the video link from David W. as well as a couple pictures to give you a comparison. Keep in mind however that lighting is different, my Alex is now set, different cameras, light sources, etc., and alexandrite is notoriously difficult to photograph. :wavey:

MC video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/62766553

I don't wear it a ton because I don't love pave as much as I thought I would, so I am thinking about resetting it to get more wear/enjoyment from it. :think:

Stunning ring JoCoJenn!! I hope the OP loves the stone they ordered! :wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone Hunter|1488141722|4134008 said:
Stunning ring JoCoJenn!! I hope the OP loves the stone they ordered! :wavey:

Thank you, and I agree/hope OP loves their Alex, and posts lots of pics. I ended up loving mine even more than I thought I would once I had it in hand.

Newbeginning - did you get any sort of estimated timing on delivery? Do you mind sharing a link to which one you chose? :naughty:

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
As you know, these stones are NOT in the US - and this is coming registered mail also. Possibly as long as three weeks - I will be patient on this. I did save David's picture, but I want to wait until I have the stone in hand (just in case I do not keep it - I know the stone is 'silky') The color change in the pictures is gorgeous though. It is an octagon cut (I am not a lover of round stones).

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
Oh, no JoCoJenn, I didn't think you disliked the workmanship of the pave. I knew you meant that you came to find out that you didn't care for it personally once you had it. My reason for asking was because I thought it was really nice looking and I am looking for a halo design for another stone I have to set. Thank you for answering my question.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
JoCoJenn - not fond of halo settings nor full bezel settings either - most likely a very plain basket with smallish flat/tab prongs on the corners - if I keep the octagon, then most likely trillion or trapezoid side stones - this would be set East-West, rather than North-South. White gold.

If I don't keep this one, then it is back to looking for a different stone, pear or marquise would be my next choices if I can't 'love' any of the octagons in my budget.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds lovely! :appl:

Fingers crossed you love it!

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
Guess what the USPS brought today? A registered letter and inside after opening envelopes, bubble wrap, small plastic baggie, and DROPPING THE STONE ON MY KITCHEN FLOOR, getting on my hands and knees with a flashlight, I finally get to see the Alex. Yes, it is small, but the color is 'dead on correct'. Since it is rather small, the 'silky' effect really isn't obvious. Do I wish it was larger? yes - but I do love it enough and the price was such that I have money left over for a nice setting with accent diamonds (not a halo though).

I need to have my brother (who has a nice Nikon) take a picture.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Can't wait to see pictures!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: YAY! So glad you seem to like the colors. Also will be eagerly await your pics. :naughty:

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
my_alex.jpg

This is one of the pictures David had posted on the selling site. Of course, the picture is HUGE - the stone is actually just under half a carat!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results