shape
carat
color
clarity

Akoya pearls? Ideas to reset the earrings.

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,
I bought this pearl necklace and earrings set from an estate sale several years ago and I’ve finally decided I should get some information.

The pearls are from a store in Japan.

Do you think these are akoya pearls?

I think the earrings are too large for me (as studs) and my ears are pierced. Should they be reset as dangling earrings? Or maybe a ring?

Any information/advice will be appreciated. Thanks! B86D5FF9-C100-4E7A-9F10-C5B8FF9C1F68.jpeg

Attachments

• A375E90F-182A-426D-B80D-1AE941C74D85.jpeg
    A375E90F-182A-426D-B80D-1AE941C74D85.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 19
  • 7ED9F4F7-8E09-434B-AE11-99898B91DAE7.jpeg
    7ED9F4F7-8E09-434B-AE11-99898B91DAE7.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 17
  • C6064511-1B2D-4628-906C-2DC4E1F5A187.jpeg
    C6064511-1B2D-4628-906C-2DC4E1F5A187.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 251E0794-91C2-43B0-9006-1BCC469CB762.jpeg
    251E0794-91C2-43B0-9006-1BCC469CB762.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 20
  • CF30A7E8-FE01-4C25-84E7-B1AA689F8110.jpeg
    CF30A7E8-FE01-4C25-84E7-B1AA689F8110.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 16

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are very lovelly

But may i just say
pearl shrinkage syndrome is very much a real thing
Pop those earings in and wear them all week and just see how they look once you get used to them

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Those are very lovelly

But may i just say
pearl shrinkage syndrome is very much a real thing
Pop those earings in and wear them all week and just see how they look once you get used to them
[/QUOT

Thanks! They look big on me but to be fair, I probably wore them for only a few minutes bc they hurt. But if they are a good size, they can easily be reset.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ouch if they hurt :(2
i only recently learn that not all posts and all piercings are the same size :(2

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Oops… obviously I don’t know how to reply to comments.

Thanks Daisys and Diamonds.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oops… obviously I don’t know how to reply to comments.

Thanks Daisys and Diamonds.

Just hit the blue reply text at the bottom of a post you would like to reply to =)2
RHS

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photograph makes them look a bit egg shaped but that could be distortion caused by the camera.
If they actually are egg shaped they are freshwaters.

If they are round, they could be akoyas or they could be imitation.
Try the "tooth test": rub two of the pearls together gently, or rub one of the pearls against the edge of your front tooth (I usually use a pearls near the clasp for this test, just to be extra careful not to scratch a pearl that is visible in front. But if you rub gently it should not damage the pearls' surface regardless.)
Genuine nacre feels a bit gritty or rough when rubbed this way. Imitation pearls glide smoothly.

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
The photograph makes them look a bit egg shaped but that could be distortion caused by the camera.
If they actually are egg shaped they are freshwaters.

If they are round, they could be akoyas or they could be imitation.
Try the "tooth test": rub two of the pearls together gently, or rub one of the pearls against the edge of your front tooth (I usually use a pearls near the clasp for this test, just to be extra careful not to scratch a pearl that is visible in front. But if you rub gently it should not damage the pearls' surface regardless.)
Genuine nacre feels a bit gritty or rough when rubbed this way. Imitation pearls glide smoothly.

Hi. Yep - they do feel gritty against my tooth. And they do look round.
Thanks for the tip.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About the earrings...
Akoyas don't come larger than 10mm max, but most are smaller. Most people could wear a pearl that size as studs, I would think. However, if you use the phone a lot, studs may be less comfortable. If you truly feel they are too large for studs, try holding them below your earlobe to visualize if you would like a not-large, round pearl under your lobe as a dangle. (Personally I prefer drop shapes, and larger pearls, for dangles. But this is a very individual preference.)

A ring is certainly doable. Just be aware that the nacre on akoya pearls is not very thick (0.4mm would be considered thick!) and rings and bracelets tend to get more wear and tear than necklaces and earrings. Also, hand sanitizer wouldn't be great for a pearl ring, if you use that often. You'd want to be mindful of the ring.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi there,
I bought this pearl necklace and earrings set from an estate sale several years ago and I’ve finally decided I should get some information.

The pearls are from a store in Japan.

Do you think these are akoya pearls?

I think the earrings are too large for me (as studs) and my ears are pierced. Should they be reset as dangling earrings? Or maybe a ring?

Any information/advice will be appreciated. Thanks! B86D5FF9-C100-4E7A-9F10-C5B8FF9C1F68.jpeg

I just reread your OP
i for one have been terrible in the past at buying something and then not
wearing it
Have you worn the necklace ?
Pearls do like to be worn

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
About the earrings...
Akoyas don't come larger than 10mm max, but most are smaller. Most people could wear a pearl that size as studs, I would think. However, if you use the phone a lot, studs may be less comfortable. If you truly feel they are too large for studs, try holding them below your earlobe to visualize if you would like a not-large, round pearl under your lobe as a dangle. (Personally I prefer drop shapes, and larger pearls, for dangles. But this is a very individual preference.)

A ring is certainly doable. Just be aware that the nacre on akoya pearls is not very thick (0.4mm would be considered thick!) and rings and bracelets tend to get more wear and tear than necklaces and earrings. Also, hand sanitizer wouldn't be great for a pearl ring, if you use that often. You'd want to be mindful of the ring.

Thank you for your insight! I’m rather clumsy so a ring may not be a good idea after all.

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
I just reread your OP
i for one have been terrible in the past at buying something and then not
wearing it
Have you worn the necklace ?
Pearls do like to be worn

I have not worn them. Frankly I haven’t been to any social event since quarantine. But you know - there’s no reason why I can’t wear them w my lounge wear thanks for your advice!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have not worn them. Frankly I haven’t been to any social event since quarantine. But you know - there’s no reason why I can’t wear them w my lounge wear thanks for your advice!

There are some members here who have pearls to wear with their PJ's =)2
Yoi just gotta sometimes make your own pearl worthy occasion
i am wearing my blue boutique freshies to work today ...and i work behind the counter in a bakery (all be it in quite a well to do neighbourhood) but my work shirt also has coke a cola on it :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results