shape
carat
color
clarity

AJ''s ering "downgrade"...to a GOG OMC !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 3:50:27 AM
Author: cindygenit
I want your diamond miss! And your photography skills...

Why can't I take pics like that???
7.gif

I love love love your ring! Its so beautiful!
30.gif
he he, thankyou Cindy..
I'll offer to take pics of your ring - but no can do on the diamond, lol..

Btw, how's things going with your jewelle? - (I'm sorry if you've posted an update I didn't see..)

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Arjunajane :) I posted in a thread on rockytalk but it seems to have disappeared off the page and I'm not sure if you ever saw it.

First off, I absolutely adore your ring. Each time I go out and look at the stones local jewelers have sourced for my ring I came back to this thread and they just look like junk compared to your ring. I think I'm about to cave and try to convince my FH to purchase one of these stones online. I've been looking locally for anything that might slightly compare but am having no success at all.

Since you are in Australia, if you don't mind answering, how did the process of finding a stone and setting, getting it put together then sent to Australia work? I'm a bit confused about the process if I don't want to get the diamond and setting from the same vendor will I need to shuffle the stone to and from Australia?

My FH isn't too keen on buying online and I can understand his reservations but I don't think we will be able to beat buying online for price or quality locally and we will have no chance of finding anything similar to a chunky cushion.

Thanks for sharing your lovely ring :)

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 1:31:48 AM
Author: arjunajane

Why can''t I take pics like that???
7.gif

30.gif
he he, thankyou Cindy..
I''ll offer to take pics of your ring - but no can do on the diamond, lol..

Btw, how''s things going with your jewelle? - (I''m sorry if you''ve posted an update I didn''t see..)
Ring is done
9.gif

I am itching to take nice pics... But alas, i have neither the appropriate camera or the steady hands you seem to have!

Oooo sure u can take pics of my ring anytime
3.gif

I really love the GOG OMC, they''re incredible!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 3:17:45 AM
Author: hihowareyou
Hi Arjunajane :) I posted in a thread on rockytalk but it seems to have disappeared off the page and I'm not sure if you ever saw it.

First off, I absolutely adore your ring. Each time I go out and look at the stones local jewelers have sourced for my ring I came back to this thread and they just look like junk compared to your ring. I think I'm about to cave and try to convince my FH to purchase one of these stones online. I've been looking locally for anything that might slightly compare but am having no success at all.

Since you are in Australia, if you don't mind answering, how did the process of finding a stone and setting, getting it put together then sent to Australia work? I'm a bit confused about the process if I don't want to get the diamond and setting from the same vendor will I need to shuffle the stone to and from Australia?

My FH isn't too keen on buying online and I can understand his reservations but I don't think we will be able to beat buying online for price or quality locally and we will have no chance of finding anything similar to a chunky cushion.

Thanks for sharing your lovely ring :)

Hello hihowareyou,
My apologies I didn't see your other post, and thankyou for your lovely comments on my OMC!
I'm not sure what city you are in, but you are correct in your assumption that you won't be able to get anything just like the GOG OMC's in Aus - apparently I am the only person with one ! (so far, lol)..
Your best bet to get anything close would be finding a really good antique dealer, but than that is really the luck of the draw; plus there are other downsides I probably don't need to explain (cost, policies, settings etc etc).

There is no need for your FH to be worried about purchasing from the US if you are shopping with trusted PS vendors - especially in GOG's case, your FH can phone Jon or his staff and ask anything he needs, if that makes him feel at ease. They are a real life store with a great rep both online and in the community. Same goes for others such as WF. I had a couple great chats with Jon in the middle of the night throughout the process
2.gif

Please feel free to show your FH my threads - I have a number about GOG's service and diamonds, and also WF's service and products - and please convey any questions/concerns he (or you) have.
Probably the best thing you can do is have him browse this site - just search for any vendor and you will get the whole truth about them - the good and the bad. People are very honest and responsible in their reviews on PS.
5.gif

You are on the right track, as the truth is even after exchange rates/taxes/shipping etc pretty much every time the US is still cheaper (and nicer quality in my experience).

To answer your specific question, it's no problem at all if you want the diamond from GOG and a setting from elsewhere - I did the same thing, as my setting is a WF one.
The PS vendors are used to working together, and it won't be a drama - you just order your setting (giving them the exact measurements of the stone), and they ship it to GOG, who set the diamond. This is the common wisdom on the way to do it, as than it means your diamond is still insured whilst being set (but it wouldn't be the other way round - does that make sense?).
If you are going custom or have a more intricate setting, you may need to have the diamond shipped temporarily to that company to make sure the measurements etc are exact - but I wouldn't worry about that yet, your rep will advise you what's needed.

May I ask where you'd like to get the setting from? (and you are aware that GOG also carry designer lines and do custom, just in case..?)

As far as the rest, it's really very easy - depending on the vendor, you pay by a wire or CC, they FedEx it to you once complete - and on our end you need to pay customs and import duty upon arrival, than the package is released for delivery or pickup.
This is really the only bit that gets a lil complex, but I can help you with that too if you like
1.gif

My best advice is just to do some research and come up with a spec range on what you desire (ct, colour, clarity ranges) & your budget, and than email GOG and make contact - they will guide you from there.
I have to say, if you've fallen for the OMC like I have, it's true that not much else will do!

This was a pretty long answer, sorry - I hope it was helpful for you.
Please do ask me anything else, if I can't help I'll find someone who can
1.gif

(if you have lots of Q's feel free to start your own thread and let me know).

Good luck in your search and congrats on the upcoming engagement!
35.gif

ETA: I'm not sure if you were the guy or girl - I assumed girl, but than I realized in your other thread it was the guy posting.
Sorry if I got it wrong!
37.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 3:59:21 AM
Date: 8/19/2009 1:31:48 AM

Why can''t I take pics like that???
7.gif

30.gif

he he, thankyou Cindy..

I''ll offer to take pics of your ring - but no can do on the diamond, lol..

Btw, how''s things going with your jewelle? - (I''m sorry if you''ve posted an update I didn''t see..)

Ring is done
9.gif

I am itching to take nice pics... But alas, i have neither the appropriate camera or the steady hands you seem to have!

Oooo sure u can take pics of my ring anytime
3.gif

I really love the GOG OMC, they''re incredible!

Missy,
that''s simply not good enough ! do you want to have your membership revoked, hrmm... *shakes fist*..

lol..just j/k - would love to see pics though. All you need is any camera with macro mode, have a go!
3.gif

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Arjunajane, I don''t have time to answer your questions right now but wanted to quickly come in and say how wonderful your post was. I don''t think I''ve come across someone who has been so nice and helpful to a stranger. Your wisdom is much appreciated :)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 7:00:33 AM
Author: hihowareyou
Arjunajane, I don''t have time to answer your questions right now but wanted to quickly come in and say how wonderful your post was. I don''t think I''ve come across someone who has been so nice and helpful to a stranger. Your wisdom is much appreciated :)

ah, you''re most welcome hon. I really enjoy helping out fellow Aussies on here, as I know it can seem like a daunting task at first - but its 110% worth it in the end.
We could never have gotten such an awesome diamond and ring where I live - and I know for a fact that when I had my problems earlier this year, leading to my downgrade, no retailer in Perth would''ve given me a hand like GOG did.

take your time, it''s all good. I''m not on PS everyday atm, so if need be just "page" me
(can start a thread saying "calling AJ" or whatever)..

have a great night!
35.gif

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade

May I ask where you'd like to get the setting from? (and you are aware that GOG also carry designer lines and do custom, just in case..?)
We haven't decided yet, I was interested in some things on WF but have since met with a local jeweler who is very competitive with prices (including diamonds but can't offer a OMC
2.gif
), I was very impressed with their workmanship and the person we spoke to seemed to get where we were coming from completely. He advised us that there were risks with buying online but wasn't too aggressive about it, he even agreed that we were better off buying online than at 90% of the stores in our city in terms of quality. If we use them for a custom setting I'm a bit concerned about possible damage to the stone but it seems like an unlikely occurrence?

As far as the rest, it's really very easy - depending on the vendor, you pay by a wire or CC, they FedEx it to you once complete - and on our end you need to pay customs and import duty upon arrival, than the package is released for delivery or pickup.

This is really the only bit that gets a lil complex, but I can help you with that too if you like
1.gif
I found a really great thread here and I think I'm confident I understand how much extra we'd be paying in taxes.

I have to say, if you've fallen for the OMC like I have, it's true that not much else will do!
This is so true.

This was a pretty long answer, sorry - I hope it was helpful for you.

Please do ask me anything else, if I can't help I'll find someone who can
1.gif

(if you have lots of Q's feel free to start your own thread and let me know).
If I think of anything else I'll start a new one. I don't want to take over this thread dedicated to your lovely ring.

ETA: I'm not sure if you were the guy or girl - I assumed girl, but than I realized in your other thread it was the guy posting.

Sorry if I got it wrong!
37.gif
I'm a girl but we've been working on this together. Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for giving such a comprehensive reply
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results