shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS platinum vs quality cert

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
Just wondering if anyone can tell me the difference these 2 certs? Both are issued by AGS

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the platinum has a computer generated aset. Is the quality cert in anyway inferior to the platinum one? Any other difference?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just wondering if anyone can tell me the difference these 2 certs? Both are issued by AGS

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the platinum has a computer generated aset. Is the quality cert in anyway inferior to the platinum one? Any other difference?

Grading is the same, but I believe platinum report allows customisation by vendors with branding, etc put on the report. Along with having crown up ASET and pavilion up ASET if vendor chooses.

After doing a little more digging, maximum cut grade on Quality report is AGS1. Platinum incorporates light performance grading to allow up to AGS0.

https://www.americangemsociety.org/page/agslabsdiamondq

https://www.americangemsociety.org/page/agslabsplatinumdi

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
DB222519-563C-451E-B95A-631F6B3ECAA2.jpeg Thanks @bmfang

That makes perfect sense, probably cost less as well for the vendor. But I got thrown off with this ... would this stil be a triple O

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@EncikG , this one looks likes it’s an older DQD which did incorporate light performance grading. I wonder when AGS decided to drop light performance testing for DQD’s because the current version looks like it doesn’t have it anymore.

On that old DQD, I think it’s pretty clear that it’s AGS000.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s also a little bit weird that the sample report AGS has on their DQD page shows an AGS0 cut grade when the text on the page says something else.

Wonder if this is something that those in the trade might be able to clarify for us consumers...

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies @bmfang @John Pollard

This stone is currently on sale from a vendor. Surely u would think that such an old cert would be recertified on purchase, but was just told it’s at your own cost

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the replies @bmfang @John Pollard

This stone is currently on sale from a vendor. Surely u would think that such an old cert would be recertified on purchase, but was just told it’s at your own cost
You're welcome. If its priced 'to go' that could make financial sense, if not marketing sense. A reasonable question considering a 10 year-old report is whether it has been in circulation, or dormant in a vault. If the diamond was circulated it's prudent for any buyer to request the opp to send it through the lab again for update - to verify no bruising or other damage - before the sale is finalized.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cheers @John Pollard

I got a DQR mixed up with a DQD in my head.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results