shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS fluorescence: negligible… but I see bright blue?

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Yes, they do… once again, very frustrating because the glow stays a lot longer to my eyes than what the camera can capture but I just took this video thinking it may be easier to see.

So is one more yellow and the other more white? Thank you for making a video!

Last edited:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
So it one more yellow and the other more white? Thank you for making a video!

Yes, I edited my post to add that I think the GIA N Faint is more yellow BECAUSE it’s an N… all guesses honestly LOL

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I meant the letter (D-Z). Because I was thinking if nitrogen is causing fluorescence (I read this from internet but I’m not sure if it is true) shouldn’t lower letters fluorescence more. Yet this doesn’t seem to be the case.

No, it is about the way the nitrogen exists in a diamond.
All type I diamonds have nitrogen (its the definition).
What causes blue fluorescence is when the nitrogen have wiggled their way through the carbon to hold hands (electrons) with two others forming N3 clusters. This happens gradually over millions of years in about 1/3rd of diamonds (but new diamonds like LGDs have disseminated nitrogen).

nojs

Shiny_Rock
No, it is about the way the nitrogen exists in a diamond.
All type I diamonds have nitrogen (its the definition).
What causes blue fluorescence is when the nitrogen have wiggled their way through the carbon to hold hands (electrons) with two others forming N3 clusters. This happens gradually over millions of years in about 1/3rd of diamonds (but new diamonds like LGDs have disseminated nitrogen).

Thank you Garry! This is why I love pricescope :) It has great curious individuals such as @Muluver, whose thread was really inspiring, and true experts in the field such as Garry and @Karl_K who have been patient and kind to answer these questions. Thank you so much!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you Garry! This is why I love pricescope :) It has great curious individuals such as @Muluver, whose thread was really inspiring, and true experts in the field such as Garry and @Karl_K who have been patient and kind to answer these questions. Thank you so much!

We need enquiring questions to be at our bestest
Thank you :)

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock

Agreed! I wish we could all huddle together in darkness with our diamonds and UV lights comparing…. Sorry that kind of sounds weird now that I am reading that back to myself…

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I’m still curious if the experts have more knowledge or links to studies/info on phosphorescence (@Garry H (Cut Nut) @Karl_K). I read from the internet that phosphorescence is very rare (this site claims only 0.01% of stones have it: https://www.finnies.com/blog/diamonds-fluorescent-phosphorescent-matter/ - yet in the light of my and @Muluver ’s little experiments that figure seems unlikely).

I’m especially interested in the link between the properties of the diamond and the color of phosphorescence (do lower letters exhibit more yellow/orange?).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@nojs it changes over time in my opinion, the sources of diamonds is very diverse these days and each has its own set of conditions then you just get oddballs. But is that oddball 1 of 1 or 1 of 100000?
I do not believe that only 2% or less are strong or more and I dont believe the .01% number.
Also the 25% number is likely not accurate either, it is likely low.
Any number I could give you would just be a wild guess.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m especially interested in the link between the properties of the diamond and the color of phosphorescence (do lower letters exhibit more yellow/orange?).
I have no idea and know of no study on it, but its a very interesting question.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
@nojs you may find this interesting as I do… I also acquired an eternity band since my old thread. Every single stone on that band has fluor. All have blue fluor EXCEPT for 2. One seems to have orange fluor and the other seems to have pink/purple fluor.

Here are the pics… all of the blue ones also seem to have orange phosphorescence but the orange fluor one seems to have no phosphorescence and the pink/purple fluor one seems to have a tiny bit?

634B98B8-734A-407F-B869-255290FE768F.jpeg

nojs

Shiny_Rock
@nojs you may find this interesting as I do… I also acquired an eternity band since my old thread. Every single stone on that band has fluor. All have blue fluor EXCEPT for 2. One seems to have orange fluor and the other seems to have pink/purple fluor.

Here are the pics… all of the blue ones also seem to have orange phosphorescence but the orange fluor one seems to have no phosphorescence and the pink/purple fluor one seems to have a tiny bit?

You have the coolest piece! That is incredible! I love that effect, it is so cool :kiss2:

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I would love to drop my day job right now and make a study on the phosphorescence of diamonds. I wound make two study hypothesis:
- what ever causes blue fluorescence also causes phosphorescence
- lower alphabets have more yellow / orange phosphorescence

:)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would love to drop my day job right now and make a study on the phosphorescence of diamonds. I wound make two study hypothesis:
- what ever causes blue fluorescence also causes phosphorescence
- lower alphabets have more yellow / orange phosphorescence

:)

it is true that colored diamonds fluoresce more often - but rarely blue (except of course yellow diamonds)

nojs

Shiny_Rock

Do you hapen to have a picture of this in regular light?

Last edited:

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I found an old thread:

In that thread there was this link:
https://instagr.am/p/B4sDnWflc70/
In that picture there are colourless (!) lab diamonds that have phosphorescence. If white lab diamonds cannot have blue fluorescence, how can they phosphorescence? I’m puzzled :-o

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I found an old thread:

In that thread there was this link:
https://instagr.am/p/B4sDnWflc70/
In that picture there are colourless (!) lab diamonds that have phosphorescence. If white lab diamonds cannot have blue fluorescence, how can they phosphorescence? I’m puzzled :-o

It is complicated. If I can I will make a video of a chart tomorrow

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results