shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS 0, IDEAL, True Hearts - J?? Help!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
J is nothing but a color..especially with fluorescence, J color diamonds face up very white. If it fits the bill, I say go for it! My first upgrade was from an H to a J, I was able to see some difference in color, but nothing really extremely noticeable. I did, however, noticed and enjoyed the size upgrade. ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked quickly at your other thread. My feeling is that jumping from a G to a J is a pretty big jump and would personally look for I color....which is exactly what I did when I upgraded from a G. But the bigger question for you is, do you mind seeing that your stone is not quite as bright white when looking at it? I love lower colors in antique stones, but not so much in modern ones. Is the J graded by AGS or GIA? Because I'd be more likely to consider it if it is GIA graded.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
I looked quickly at your other thread. My feeling is that jumping from a G to a J is a pretty big jump and would personally look for I color....which is exactly what I did when I upgraded from a G. But the bigger question for you is, do you mind seeing that your stone is not quite as bright white when looking at it? I love lower colors in antique stones, but not so much in modern ones. Is the J graded by AGS or GIA? Because I'd be more likely to consider it if it is GIA graded.

Interesting, I was under the impression that AGS is superior. It's AGS graded.

Screenshot:

https://ibb.co/fkWdw5

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
The setting is really my only hesitation. Which is why I have the J on hold and I'm going to look at some H-J's in person tomorrow. I am somewhat sentimental and I'd prefer to stick with my current setting. My fiancé picked it out and he's proud of it, as am I. It's a simple, pave band but does have G & H diamonds.

Forgot to mention over here that the J does have strong fluorescence.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your current setting won't take a 1.24 unless they remove the head and put on a new one. You'd better check and see if the jeweler will do that for you.

AGS is stricter on cut grading as AGS Ideal cut is a narrower grade than GIA Excellent cut. However, GIA is stricter on color grading, so an AGS J sometimes, not always, might be graded GIA K. You might need a third party independent appraiser to evaluate that for you.

The problem with fluorescence is that it sometimes results in the overgrading of a diamond's color, which also could mean the stone would be a K.

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/blue-fluorescent-diamonds-color-grading-issues

I'd order the stone on credit, if possible, to look at it next to your current stone and the setting. I do think I color might work better since you have whiter stones on your shank. But only you can decide if you can handle the color. And you will not know that until you see it in your home, your car, and the places you most often will be wearing your ring. You will not be able to tell much about color at all in a jewelry store.

Akalahab

Shiny_Rock
I have a J as well with lighter colored melee - If you are looking for it, you can see some difference in certain lighting. Other times, all you see is sparkle. And with my J, the tint is really only noticeable from the side and it is an AGS stone. And nobody else would ever be able to glance at my ring and see the difference - I was at Intergem the other week and the jeweler was really surprised when I told him my diamond was a J and another grabbed my hand and told me that my husband must really love me. Granted, mine is only .8 carats and I'm a tan complexion anyway so everything looks white on me.

On here, they say that GIA has stricter grading on color while AGS is the stricter for cut.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The J should not be a problem with G/H melee. People do it all the time and dont have an issue with it. So, unless you are very color sensitive and very
picky then you should be fine with it.

Make sure when you look at J colored stones that they are well cut. Color is graded face down but when you look at the top of the stone what you see will
be dictated by how well the stone is cut. The J you are looking at is a well cut stone. If you look at poorly cut Js then you may see more color/tint than what
you are going to see in the stone you picked. Matter fact it would be nice if you would find an AGS J to look at but that might not be too easy.

Here are a few color videos so you can see the relative color difference between stones. (GOG videos are quite educational)

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are good videos. Also remember that color is graded table down. Table up, the color differences are harder to discern. An AGS 0 will definitely be well cut, and color and clarity grades will be the same or within one grade for GIA (some people feel that AGS is not as strict as GIA when it comes to color, I personally feel that they are a bit too strict in clarity, but this is all apocryphal). It depends on your preferences. Order the stone and see what you think.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all! Didn't know about GIA being stricter with color.

I will check out those videos after work. I'm loving this forum and learning SO much about diamonds.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
I have a J as well with lighter colored melee - If you are looking for it, you can see some difference in certain lighting. Other times, all you see is sparkle. And with my J, the tint is really only noticeable from the side and it is an AGS stone. And nobody else would ever be able to glance at my ring and see the difference - I was at Intergem the other week and the jeweler was really surprised when I told him my diamond was a J and another grabbed my hand and told me that my husband must really love me. Granted, mine is only .8 carats and I'm a tan complexion anyway so everything looks white on me.

On here, they say that GIA has stricter grading on color while AGS is the stricter for cut.

Do you have a picture of your ring by chance?

I am very pale... hmm didn't think about that.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Your current setting won't take a 1.24 unless they remove the head and put on a new one. You'd better check and see if the jeweler will do that for you.

AGS is stricter on cut grading as AGS Ideal cut is a narrower grade than GIA Excellent cut. However, GIA is stricter on color grading, so an AGS J sometimes, not always, might be graded GIA K. You might need a third party independent appraiser to evaluate that for you.

The problem with fluorescence is that it sometimes results in the overgrading of a diamond's color, which also could mean the stone would be a K.

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/blue-fluorescent-diamonds-color-grading-issues

I'd order the stone on credit, if possible, to look at it next to your current stone and the setting. I do think I color might work better since you have whiter stones on your shank. But only you can decide if you can handle the color. And you will not know that until you see it in your home, your car, and the places you most often will be wearing your ring. You will not be able to tell much about color at all in a jewelry store.

My setting is from JA and it says it can take up to 3.5 carats but I imagine they will probably have to adjust it or change it. I have to get it resized and was going to send it in for resizing and upgrading at the same time.

I'll have to check what their policy is on returning/exchanging upgraded diamonds. Something I probably should have already checked!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My setting is from JA and it says it can take up to 3.5 carats but I imagine they will probably have to adjust it or change it. I have to get it resized and was going to send it in for resizing and upgrading at the same time.

I'll have to check what their policy is on returning/exchanging upgraded diamonds. Something I probably should have already checked!

Oh, okay, I didn't realize the setting was from JA, too. When a setting says it can take up to 3.5 cts, it means they have heads to fit up to 3.5 cts. So they can make the rings for stones up to that size. So all you'd have to find out is whether they will charge you to change the head and if so, how much that costs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results