shape
carat
color
clarity

Agreement posts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find them annoying.

Example:
Diamond pro A will post some technical thing.

Prosumer X quotes it and posts, "+1"
Prosumer Y then posts, "+2, I agree with pro A."
Prosumer Z posts, "Agreed, pro A nailed it, again".

What's the point?
It is just noise.

Whew. Rant over. I fell so much better now.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 11:10:26 PM
Author:kenny
I find them annoying.

Example:

Prosumer X quotes it and posts, ''+1''
Prosumer Y posts, ''+2, I agree with pro A.''
Prosumer Z posts, ''Agreed, pro A nailed it, again''.

What''s the point?
It is just noise.

+1

I hate this too. You totally nailed it, again.
3.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find them annoying.

Example:

Prosumer X quotes it and posts, '+1'
Prosumer Y posts, '+2, I agree with pro A.'
Prosumer Z posts, 'Agreed, pro A nailed it, again'.

What's the point?
It is just noise.

+1

11.gif

ETA hahaha you beat me to it, lucky!

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
It's called ressurance. Not all of us can be as confidnet and wise as you are
2.gif

and "thritto" since it can be annoying
3.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2009 11:21:00 PM
Author: exoticisabella
It's called ressurance. Not all of us can be as confidnet and wise as you are
2.gif

and 'thritto' since it can be annoying
3.gif

But it frequently happens to a pro who does not need the support of the metoos.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Quaddito....
31.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 11:23:53 PM
Author: kenny

It''s called ressurance. Not all of us can be as confidnet and wise as you are
2.gif

and ''thritto'' since it can be annoying
3.gif

But it frequently happens to a pro who does not need prosumer X, Y or Z''s the support of the metoos.

Not all the "pros" have opinions that others support. It gives reassurance to someone asking the question that others also agree with what the pro has said.

I can think of at least one "pro" who MANY people disagree with here. So just because someone is a "pro" doesn''t mean they are right!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I quintuple!

Sooooooo annoying
11.gif

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
3.gif

Date: 11/29/2009 11:27:04 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 11/29/2009 11:23:53 PM
Author: kenny

It''s called ressurance. Not all of us can be as confidnet and wise as you are
2.gif

and ''thritto'' since it can be annoying
3.gif

But it frequently happens to a pro who does not need prosumer X, Y or Z''s the support of the metoos.

Not all the ''pros'' have opinions that others support. It gives reassurance to someone asking the question that others also agree with what the pro has said.

I can think of at least one ''pro'' who MANY people disagree with here. So just because someone is a ''pro'' doesn''t mean they are right!
Agreed
3.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I suspect it''s also designed to let the original poster know his post has been read by more than one person.

It''s pretty common that many opinions on Pricescope are widely shared, and if everyone just let someone else answer and didn''t answer or reply because they agreed with something already posted.....well, PS would be a much quieter (and perhaps less helpful) place.

Many are the times I''ve seen posters come back to a single reply or two and ask "uh.........so, is anyone else reading?"

1.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2009 11:27:04 PM
Author: neatfreak
I can think of at least one ''pro'' who MANY people disagree with here.
So just because someone is a ''pro'' doesn''t mean they are right!

Indeed, so true.
I forgot about that person.
But even then, few prosumers challenge that pro, or offer their -1s, -2s and -3s.

But I just wonder what people like John Pollard, Serg, Neil or Garry think.
They are gracious enough to remain silent, but they must just roll their eyes when they see +1s, +2s and +3s from the prosumers.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I agree with Neatfreak. I found it very reassuring when I was posting about prospective diamonds for purchase. The more who agreed that the stone was a keeper, the better I felt about taking the plunge.

I'd take Stone-Colds and Lorelei's thritto anyday when I am looking for advice on bling.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also happens when a poster agrees with parts of what the previous poster said, and wants to add his/her own opinions on another part.

I know that if I post a question and I see a reply that's been +1'ed by several people, esp. the experts and longtime prosumers, I have more confidence that it is, in fact, an excellent reply. Whether this is logical or I'm just a slave to group-think, well...

ETA: +1 to what miraclesrule said
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Consider the "dittos" and the "+1s" to be the print version of a conversational head nod, or a grunt of agreement. If you were sitting at a table with eight other people, and one asked a question which was answered by one of the "pros" present, would you expect everyone else to stare ahead in silence even if they agreed with the pro's response?

I imagine that real professionals who are confident and know what they are doing don't find a "ditto" from a lowly consumer to be annoying.

If they do find it irritating, I hope they know they are free to leave at any time, or in the very least, to skim past the offending posts.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2009 12:05:26 AM
Author: Haven
Consider the ''dittos'' and the ''+1s'' to be the print version of a conversational head nod, or a grunt of agreement. If you were sitting at a table with eight other people, and one asked a question which was answered by one of the ''pros'' present, would you expect everyone else to stare ahead in silence even if they agreed with the pro''s response?

I imagine that real professionals who are confident and know what they are doing don''t find a ''ditto'' from a lowly consumer to be annoying.

If they do find it irritating, I hope they know they are free to leave at any time, or in the very least, to skim past the offending posts.
+1
3.gif

I also think on forums, sometimes when you have the exact same thing to say it''s just easier for everyone reading that thread if you just "+1/ditto" the comment. Less clutter and often someone has already said it better than you could have yourself.

And to follow up on what Haven said, if someone said something at a table that you agreed with, would you repeat the whole comment verbatim or would you just say you agree and/or add something that hasn''t been said as yet?

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
I find them annoying.

Example:

Prosumer Y then posts, ''+2, I agree with pro A.''

What''s the point?
It is just noise.

Holey moley - how many threads do you start each day?!

I also don''t see the point.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find them annoying.

Example:

Prosumer Y then posts, ''+2, I agree with pro A.''

What''s the point?

It is just noise.

The +1''s are not for the benefit of the experts who respond to a question, they''re for the benefit of the person who posted the question. Newbies especially may not know who''s who... the added voices could help them make up their mind.

And I doubt the "first responders" mind the added voices. Expert, prosumer or other, they''re responding to offer help -- not for ego strokes.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the +1 comments are quick enough to skim past if the reader is not interested in them and reassuring for a lot of board members. It seems that their posite aspect outweight their negative, at least to me.

Or are we going to start complaining about all the "how lovely" comments in SMTR too?

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I find agreement posts helpful, not annoying. They give me a sense of how Pricescopers feel about an issue or question.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I don''t find them annoying -- but I do wish people would elaborate on their "ditto"s sometimes, because it''s more interesting to read text than "+1, +2, +3."

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 8:49:11 AM
Author: TheBigT
I don't find them annoying -- but I do wish people would elaborate on their 'ditto's sometimes, because it's more interesting to read text than '+1, +2, +3.'
This is where I have tried to start going with "dittos". Rather than just echo, add a comment or two, it makes the post more interesting.

To me the dittos & +1's do a few things. As others have mentioned, they reassure the poster that more people are in agreement. They also are a good way to show a newer contributor that they are on the right track--when a poster over in RT ventures to give advice for the first time, it is reassuring when a respected, regular poster agrees. They are also a sign to thread readers and lurkers that the advice is in the majority and therefore, likely to be something they would also agree with.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are only so many ways to say "No, fluorescence won''t affect your diamonds appearance negatively in normal light." The affirmation can be reassuring to the original posters.

Also, contextually ... CaliSun? +1.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a fan because I feel they cause threads to become unnecessarily long and scroll-heavy. I like Youtube or Facebook's system of individual like/dislike buttons for each entry, and wish the forums I frequent had such functions as well. I do really appreciate people chipping in, though, since that's what it's all about!
1.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 8:49:11 AM
Author: TheBigT
I don''t find them annoying -- but I do wish people would elaborate on their ''ditto''s sometimes, because it''s more interesting to read text than ''+1, +2, +3.''
LOL. I actually find it "annoying" (for lack of a better word) when people ditto and then elaborate. That''s not a ditto to me if you need to further explain. Like on another website people write NFT (no further text) and then elaborate.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Well, if I have a certain opinion and I want to reply to a certain post, and then I see another poster who's already said everything I was planning on saying, I have 3 options:

A) don't post at all because I have nothing new to add. Then another 10 posters decide not to reply either because they share an opinion that's already been stated. The OP starts thinking there's something wrong because they only got two replies and they feel confused and neglected.
B) try to come up with a different way of expressing my POV (that's already been stated by someone esle) so that I don't repeat the post I agree with, and spend half an hour rummaging in synonym dictionaries only to end up with something like Joey's (from "Friends") letter to the adoption agency (Remember that one? "They are warm, nice, people with big hearts" = "they are humid prepossessing Homo Sapiens with full sized aortic pumps". lol) The OP is confused again, but this time they feel vaguely insulted too.
or
C) at the risk of annoying Kenny, I quote the post I agree with and add +1.
3.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 11:13:54 AM
Author: AdiS
Well, if I have a certain opinion and I want to reply to a certain post, and then I see another poster who''s already said everything I was planning on saying, I have 3 options:

A) don''t post at all because I have nothing new to add. Then another 10 posters decide not to reply either because they share an opinion that''s already been stated. The OP starts thinking there''s something wrong because they only got two replies and they feel confused and neglected.
B) try to come up with a different way of expressing my POV (that''s already been stated by someone esle) so that I don''t repeat the post I agree with, and spend half an hour rummaging in synonym dictionaries only to end up with something like Joey''s (from ''Friends'') letter to the adoption agency (Remember that one? ''They are warm, nice, people with big hearts'' = ''they are humid prepossessing Homo Sapiens with full sized aortic pumps''. lol) The OP is confused again, but this time they feel vaguely insulted too.
or
C) at the risk of annoying Kenny, I quote the post I agree with and add +1.
3.gif
+1.....ditto.....i agree.....couldn''t have said it better.....

why reinvent the wheel if everything i was going to say was said perhaps even better than i would type it?

mz

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreement posts are one way of making friends on the board. I don''t mind them at all.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kenny.

I don''t mind the +1/ditto stuff everyone does. It is nice to see that other people are reading and interested.

As someone who still has much to learn about diamonds, I find these to actually be comforting/reassuring. I started a thread a couple of months ago looking for suggestions about where to buy a custom ring. One or two people responded with a handful of suggestions. Having all of the +1''s was a huge help. Instead of being one person liking White Flash it was a bunch of people. I don''t think I would have contacted WF if it was only one person. In fact, I probably would have gotten nervous and just went with some local mall store where I can at least look at the ring and take home something I''ve actually touched.

E B

Ideal_Rock
It doesn''t really bother me, but I do it a lot. When someone says something well, and I don''t feel the need to repeat it in different words, I "ditto." Saves time.
2.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2009 1:10:01 PM
Author: EBree
It doesn''t really bother me, but I do it a lot. When someone says something well, and I don''t feel the need to repeat it in different words, I ''ditto.'' Saves time.
2.gif
There are so many people here who can put stuff into writing very well. Much easier to "ditto" an excellently written post that you agree with.

And a big DITTO to EBree''s post.

It is so much faster to "ditto" than to try to restate the same thing (and end up not coming across as clearly after all the effort)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results