shape
carat
color
clarity

After a year long search, success!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

San Francisco

Rough_Rock
When your wife opens a package containing a gift from you and says WOW!!!! you know you have done something right.

Here is the final concluding chapter to my story about upgrading my wife’s stud earrings. I thought other prospective buyers might benefit from hearing of my journey.

I originally titled my earlier post “Buying is a lot easier than selling, isn’t it?” But I now think that is an inaccurate statement. While it took me almost 5 months to sell the pair of diamond stud earrings discussed with me by the Pricescope community in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/buying-is-a-lot-easier-than-selling-isn%E2%80%99t-it.36227/ it has taken an additional 8 months to find their replacements. The Gray’s at Niceice.com, who found a diamond for my wife’s pendant a couple years ago, taught me the real 4 C’s of diamond analysis. It is Cut, Cut, Cut and Cut that makes the difference between “oh that’s nice and WOW!!!” So buying turned out to be a much tougher project than I ever envisioned and it involved viewing a number of diamonds from a number of different sources, both brick and mortar retailers and Internet dealers, before I found what I wanted.

I sought F or G, no worse than VS2, AGS Ideal Cut (with new certs) matching pair of 1.25 round brilliants for a price of around $20k. To find two VERY closely matched diamonds meeting that criteria is apparently not easy for there were several dealers here who tired unsuccessfully over the past 8 months to find them to enable a sale to me.

But to make a very long story short, my wife’s beautiful new diamond stud earrings arrived last night. With the able assistance of Lesley Harris at Whiteflash and the comprehensive services of the ever reliable RockDoc, I found and purchased the replacement pair of stud earrings I wanted.

The money was wired this week, so at this writing the comparison of my two stones is still up at Whiteflash.com, but it may be removed by the time you read my comments.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=179763,59305

They are AGS Ideal Cut, Hearts & Arrows, 1.236 and 1.245 round brilliants. Measuring 6.88x6.90x4.25 and 6.89x6.91x4.24 and both are G, VS2.

RockDoc did the independent third part analysis and provided me with voluminous documentation supporting his opinion that these were two very closely matched superior diamonds and a good value, given Whiteflash.com’s just under $18k price for the pair, after receiving a Pricescope.com member discount. RockDoc does not do a rubber stamp analysis, even if the diamonds being analyzed are AGS Ideal cut stones. The first pair of ACA’s from Whiteflash that he did an initial analysis on we returned. While they were very nice diamonds, they simply did not face up as closely as we wanted. Fortunately, Lesley received a new ACA diamond (AGS cert is dated 12/13/06), that was a very close match to another one she had in stock and they turned out to be what we sought and I purchased them after RockDoc’s analysis. As he said, their “Fire is nearly off the Gemex chart” and their Brilliance and Scintillation are almost as dramatic. For those who have not used an independent certified gemologist like RockDoc before when purchasing a diamond, I can only say it enable me to see many pictures of them in many different formats before deciding to buy and feel comfortable enough to wire the funds to the seller and have the diamonds mounted in their setting and shipped to me before I ever saw them in person. And to have my expectations greatly exceeded when I finally did see them.

Here is RockDoc’s web site http://www.consumersgemlab.com/ for those who are seeking that level of professional service and here is Whiteflash.com’s web site for those seeking exceptionally well cut diamonds http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Default.aspx

Thanks to Lelsey and RockDoc and all those here at Pricescope.com who offered advice and assistance on this nearly year long project to trade up my wife’s earrings. Needless to say, a picture does not begin to do them justice but for what it is worth here they are mounted in a three prong Martini style 950 Platinum setting.

San Francisco

PS Now my beautiful wife keeps looking at her wedding ring and mumbling “upgrade”….. I wonder what that could possible mean???

Mountedpair.jpg

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful congrats! All that hard work pays off!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Those studs are just gorgeous! You found a terrific pair of diamonds and of course she loves them!!! I have studs that same size and I wear them every day.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are just gorgeous!!!
30.gif
30.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, they are beautiful!! Nice work!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all the nice comments. Now I''m turnin'' all red!

These are probably one of the most exactly matched pair of diamonds that I''ve had to do.

Yesterday, we were both biting our nails over UPS getting them delivered in time. UPS tracking said they never left the hub, so we didn''t know where they were, but they finally showed up just before Don and his wife left for dinner just about 5 30 PM.

Too bad Don didn''t find his box cutter, which I advised him to get. He was so excited that the box did finally show up, that he called me asking " Do I believe in miracles"? when it showed up. He told me " Fort Knox isn''t protected like this!"

But we were talking on the phone as he opened and saw the new pet rocks for the first time, and they got a rave review from a very excited Mrs. ( which is really the best joy I get from this ).

Now they have to think of names for the twin pet rocks!!!!

Thanks again, glad they arrived and of course I''m thrilled that the "kids" are a hit!

36.gif

Rockdoc

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did a fabulous job, SF! Congratulations on an excellent choice!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Goodness and mercy me, those earrings are just Gawjus!!!!!! Congrats on a great experience hunting those rocks.

shay

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Your time and effort diamond hunting really paid off - BIG!!! Beautiful... and soooo closely matched! Great Job!

San Francisco

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your kind comments.

My wife has indeed reveled in the "WOW" comments she has been receiving from her friends when she wears them. I am enjoying watching her wear them as much as she does wearing them.

There is nothing quite like an Ideal Cut diamond and when one understands the difference, I think their "mind''s eye" actually help their real eyes see a little extra fire, scintillation and brilliance when they look at them in the varying lights of the day and evening. But then maybe that is just my imagination. But then again, isn''t that what diamonds are all about.....dazzling our eyes and our imagination.

San Francisco

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2007 1:01:24 PM
Author: San Francisco
Thank you all for your kind comments.

My wife has indeed reveled in the ''WOW'' comments she has been receiving from her friends when she wears them. I am enjoying watching her wear them as much as she does wearing them.

There is nothing quite like an Ideal Cut diamond and when one understands the difference, I think their ''mind''s eye'' actually help their real eyes see a little extra fire, scintillation and brilliance when they look at them in the varying lights of the day and evening. But then maybe that is just my imagination. But then again, isn''t that what diamonds are all about.....dazzling our eyes and our imagination.

San Francisco
Very well said...a great quote that could be used in an ad for ideal cut diamonds! And I completely agree! Once you have them, you can''t settle for less!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow, they''re gorgeous! Glad your search is finally over!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results