shape
carat
color
clarity

African American Brides with Short Hair - I''m not trying to be offensive

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Coreysgirl

Rough_Rock
Good Morning...

Before I type what I''m looking for let me just say that I''m not trying to discriminate or cause any kind of arguements with the subject of my post. I really need help with finding a hairstyle for my wedding. So please don''t take offense to this.

How do you plan to wear your hair for your wedding? My hair is really short (kind of like Halle Berry''s hair was cut). I''ve been looking everywhere and I can''t find a cute style for my hair. Please post pictures if you have any.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Can''t help I''m afraid, but just wanted to say I can''t see how your post could possibly be offensive.

Someone posted a hair thread the other week for advice on very fine, won''t hold a style, zero volume hair - was very useful for me; and I''m sure yours will be for lots of other people!

Coreysgirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for that. Sometimes things get taken the wrong way and I didn''t know if my subject line would. I can''t wait to find a hairstyle. It seems like I''m having the hardest time. I get my hair done every Saturday but for some reason everytime I try to explain how I want my hair she does it completely different. So I''m looking for pictures so that she can see exactly what I want. My sister suggested I go to someone else and let them do my hair and I''m strongly considering it.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I can''t really help but why don''t you just google Halle Berry at red carpet events? I''m sure you''ll find some good formal hair pics
emteeth.gif

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE that hair cut - with such a strong, bold cut, why not wear it normal and add a little bridal flare to it?

First, do you want to wear a veil?

And why not look at "hair vines" or head bands - they have some GOOOORGEOUS head bands and vines and they look great with short hair!

I''ll try to find some pictures!

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Check this out - with finger waves - would look beautiful!

251855.jpg

Coreysgirl

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help! My mother really wants me to wear a veil but I personally can''t picture myself in one. I thought about wearing a Tiara but I don''t want the tiara to outshine my hairdo. So I''m strongly considering wearing some pretty sparkly hair pins or something.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
If it is long enough, I love the tiny corkscrew curls, they look so pretty in African American hair. A beautiful white flower like an orchid or a gardenia would be such a lovely contrat as well.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
What about a tiara comb or something? I think that might be pretty. Or even a headband? Do you have a photo of your dress so we can match your hair to it?

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I understand your dilemma -I looked on the Net myself for suitable hairstyles but didn''t find much.

My hair is natural so I wore it in loose curls (twisted with gel then taken out) with two thiin sparkly diamond headbands. I didn''t want to wear a veil either. Sparkly pins, flowers, and headbands look nice on short hair. If you''d like you can then dress up your look with matching earrings/necklace.

If you''re open to other type of veils..A birdcage veil also looks nice with short hair...but I guess that depends on the style of your wedding too.

Did you check out the hair gallery on The Knot? If your hair is relaxed you might find a suitable style there - I think they have a style gallery for short haircuts.

Or maybe your hairdresser might be able to recommend a style? Most hairdressers will have style magazines in their shops. Also, what about the ''Black Hair'' magazine?

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
This is style in which her hair was slicked back - not sure if you''re a fan of this kind of hairstyle, but it is a nice, sleek look and the flower behind the ear is so pretty :)

Style 12321.jpg

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 12:46:01 PM
Author: Sha
I understand your dilemma -I looked on the Net myself for suitable hairstyles but didn't find much.

My hair is natural so I wore it in loose curls (twisted with gel then taken out) with two thiin sparkly diamond headbands. I didn't want to wear a veil either. Sparkly pins, flowers, and headbands look nice on short hair. If you'd like you can then dress up your look with matching earrings/necklace.

If you're open to other type of veils..A birdcage veil also looks nice with short hair...but I guess that depends on the style of your wedding too.

Did you check out the hair gallery on The Knot? If your hair is relaxed you might find a suitable style there - I think they have a style gallery for short haircuts.

Or maybe your hairdresser might be able to recommend a style? Most hairdressers will have style magazines in their shops. Also, what about the 'Black Hair' magazine?

I really like birdcage veils also! I also like headbands.

Coreysgirl

Rough_Rock
I''ve always been scared to wear my hair slicked down because my face is fat (or at least to me it is). Here''s a picture of my dress. I thought about putting some weave in my hair but I haven''t wore weave in so many years. If my hairstylist would take her time and do my hair then I''d probably have an idea of how I want it. I swear it seems like everytime I tell her to give me a soft look she ALWAYS spray extra hairspray on my hair. She told me last week I''ll make your hair look soft but I''ll make it hard. I don''t know what''s her problem.

My Beautiful Dress II.jpg

Coreysgirl

Rough_Rock
That''s really pretty. I''ve never seen a headband like that. This might be a dumb question, but do you think I''ll be able to incorporate a couple of pins in my hair if I wore this headband or do you think the headband will sparkle enough.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Your dress is gorgeous! And I vote for the headbands or something simple too! If you always wear it short, I wouldn''t get a weave... you want to look like you on your wedding day. Well for me it was "me, only better!" so don''t drastically change your look to comply with the wedding photos of long flowy hair.

and I do think you should try another hair stylist! one that will listen to you!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 12:58:27 PM
Author: Coreysgirl
I''ve always been scared to wear my hair slicked down because my face is fat (or at least to me it is). Here''s a picture of my dress. I thought about putting some weave in my hair but I haven''t wore weave in so many years. If my hairstylist would take her time and do my hair then I''d probably have an idea of how I want it. I swear it seems like everytime I tell her to give me a soft look she ALWAYS spray extra hairspray on my hair. She told me last week I''ll make your hair look soft but I''ll make it hard. I don''t know what''s her problem.

Beautiful dress!
30.gif
Wow sounds like you need a new stylist. I know it''s hard, but find someone who will do what you want. It''s really frustrating to not get what you want.
40.gif

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I think the headband will sparkle plenty - but remember, it''s your day, your hair - so do what you want!

This type of headband will give just the right amount of soft sparkle while not being over-powering like a tiara....

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Coreysgirl, I saw a few pictures of short hair and thought of you. I also like the idea of headbands.

fall05_hair1a.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that last one looks photoshopped now.

spring07_hair9a.jpg

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
wow I love the last look! Cutting it a bit close to Cruella DeVille''s hair, just kidding
9.gif
, but absolutely stunning!!!

Coreysgirl

Rough_Rock
I really like that one too. If you have time please continue to post pictures. These are really giving me a good idea of what I want. I am so glad I found this forum, it has helped me out so so much.

Coreysgirl

Rough_Rock
I think the rhinestone headband would look gorgeous with this necklace set. Can you ladies also post pictures of short hair with hairpins? I hope I''m not asking for too much but you guys are finding some really nice pictures that I haven''t seen online.

Thanks so much
28.gif

Anna Bellagio Jewelry Set II.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
I like all the suggestions already mentioned: finger waves, corkscrew curls, tiny double headband, delicate headband, etc. There are a lot of options open to you.

As for your stylist, I would find another who can do what you ask or gives you a reason why it wouldn''t work or is honest that it''s something they can''t do.

BTW, your dress is gorgeous!

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Attached is my favorite picture of short hair and a subtle hair pin....don''t know if this style will work for you or not...

Keira 3.jpg

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 1:10:03 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS

Date: 4/9/2008 12:58:27 PM
Author: Coreysgirl

Beautiful dress!
30.gif
Wow sounds like you need a new stylist. I know it''s hard, but find someone who will do what you want. It''s really frustrating to not get what you want.
40.gif
Right on!!!!!!!!!

14.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Coreysgirl, would it be possible for you to post or link to a pic of someone with a hairstyle like yours?

Coreysgirl

Rough_Rock
My hair is the length of the picture I attached and this is similar to the style I wear in it.

fandresd[1].jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results