shape
carat
color
clarity

Afghan Panjsheri Emerald

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JTM933

Rough_Rock
Does anybody here know anything about Emeralds from the Panjsher Valley of Afghanistan? I can get them straight from the mine cut and uncut up to 5 carats. Most of these guys are untreated because most of the miners and cutters here don''t know about the treatment methods. If anyone could give me some direction with this I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
John

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It depends on if you want them clean or included. I have a 3.5ct that was $10,000/ct wholesale when I got it right after Afganistan openned up after the war. They have a very good crystal in the best stones.

Regards,
Maurice

JTM933

Rough_Rock
Here is a picture of one of the emeralds.

Afghan.Emerald0023.JPG

JTM933

Rough_Rock
Can anybody help me out here? Are the emeralds here bunk, I am running out of time in this country and I need a shove in the right direction here.

Thank you,
John

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2008 8:01:48 AM
Author:JTM933
Most of these [Afghan emeralds] are untreated because most of the miners and cutters here don''t know about the treatment methods.
I would be truly surprised if this was really the case, as the most common emerald treatment is oiling which has been practiced for thousands of years.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/18/2008 8:01:48 AM
Author:JTM933
Does anybody here know anything about Emeralds from the Panjsher Valley of Afghanistan?

I visited the Panjshir valley emerald mines during summer 2006.
I''ve written a report about this gemological expedition:

Afghanistan expedition report summer 2006

You will find also a lot of link to interesting publications about emeralds from Panjshir.

Hoping to have helped,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results