shape
carat
color
clarity

Affordable grocery stores

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Help, PSers! I'm staying in the US for a couple of months and I'm finding it difficult locating affordable grocery stores. I went to one today, spent 50 dollars and all I bought was bread, sugar, butter, you get the idea. Can you suggest cheap stores?

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
Holy moly! Did you go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes?

Check out Kroger, Super Walmarts or Super Targets.

What state are you in? That would make a difference since there are different grocery stores all over the country...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Mayer- Check out Vons, which is the SoCal version of Safeway. They have the best sales. There's even an app you can use to download digital coupons.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aldi stores aren't everywhere, but if I remember correctly, their prices are really good. It's worth Googling to see if there's one near you. It's the type of place where you either have to bring your on bags or buy ones from the store, and I think you also need to bag your own groceries. I guess that helps keep costs down. They have their own brands too, knock-offs of popular brands, so that's something you might want to keep in mind if your brand-loyal.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Vons is the one I was talking about…

I have been to Trader Joe's and did notice that my bill was significantly lower than Vons, but I don't think they carry as much of a variety. However, I'll try to go there again and see if I still get lower bills.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What area are you in?

Safeway can have some really good stores but I don't like their store brand for food stuff. Paper goods, produce, and other brand foods can be very good for low price. (set up a rewards account and get awesome coupons online -- just have to use your phone number at checkout)

Albertsons (same notes as Safeway)

QFC can have very good produce and I like their store brand for lots of stuff (Kroger). Same online rewards coupon thing. (If you find a good store, you can even get "manager's special" stuff that is a week or two before sell by dates for a fraction of the price -- like Greek yogurt for $0.29 each rather than $1+)

Fred Meyer is hit or miss. I don't use their meat, but some of the produce is quite good.

Whole Foods -- Really good store brand. Some stuff is less expensive than the other stores and much better (pasta sauce, dried pasta, canned tomatoes, some frozen stuff) but you've got to be careful because the non-store brand stuff is $$$ as is the meat & produce.

Trader Joes -- Just don't go there. The three I've been in have had rotten produce, not so great selections, and high prices.

Also, depending on where you are there can be AWESOME farmer's markets.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1401747847|3685175 said:
Vons is the one I was talking about…

I have been to Trader Joe's and did notice that my bill was significantly lower than Vons, but I don't think they carry as much of a variety. However, I'll try to go there again and see if I still get lower bills.

You've got to shop their sales. I've found that if you shop smart it's the least expensive store there is.

Another store to check out is Winco (I just checked, there is one near you). They have really good prices, especially on produce.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I shop at save-a-lot sometimes and can get a week's worth of groceries for under $40. Most people there are using food stamps but I just don't like to pay more for things than I have to. A friend just turned me on to Big Lots and now I'm getting all my non perishables and juice there for super cheap. Their assortment is random and sometimes the expiration is pretty close but it's great that they usually have tons of natural and organic brands that cost three times as much in the grocery store.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good lord it sucks living in a small town. We easily spend 100-150/weekly. More when we have to get toiletries, dog food, litter etc.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are fortunate to live in a big city with a large latino community.
The supermarket, a full-sized store of a chain with perhaps 6 stores throughout Southern California, that caters to the latino community has phenomenally cheap produce, like tomatoes for 33 cents a pound and a bunch of green onions for 25 cents.
Two days of the week the prices are lowest and the place is packed.

I'm usually the only white person in the building.

Milk, eggs, meat, fish, cheese, and paper products are cheapest at Costco.
Wine and half and half are from Trader Joe's.
Bulk stuff like beans, peas, lentils come from Winco.

FWIW Winco's prices for produce are around double what I pay at the supermarket catering to latino clientele.

FWIW we buy nearly zero packaged processed convenience foods from corporations like General Foods, Nabisco, Kelloggs etc.

I recommend making a shopping list.
Take it to several stores and compare prices.
It will take some time but be worth it.

You may end up buying only certain things at certain stores, like I do.
I've found no store has everything cheapest, or of quality I find acceptable.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to ask if there are any ethnic stores around.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found that the two big hispanic supermarkets in our neighborhood, Mi Tierra, and Mi Ranchito, have the best prices on meat and produce, not so much for staples. Sometimes I go to several markets in a day - the well known and largely organic produce market for produce, Mi Tierra for meat and some produce, and Lucky/Safeway for staples on sale. But sometimes I don't, heh, and just do a more expensive, one-stop shopping.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I shop at Super-Walmart for pre-packaged items, and for produce etc, I buy from 99 Ranch (chinese market chain) or Zion Market (Korean grocery chain). I have to say, fresh foods are much cheaper at ethnic markets for sure! sometimes I can get 6lbs of Navel oranges for $2, or the other day, my hubby bought 4 honeydew melons in a crate (they were the size of basketballs) for $3!!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
If shopping at Von's, make sure you sign up for the loyalty cars even if you're just visiting. You need that to get the deals.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would have to say which state your in for people to tell you the best places to shop. Anything less just wont be helpful.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume stores with unionized workers have higher prices.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'm in SoCal. Maybe I should just sign up for a Von's card.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where in SoCal?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1401768930|3685353 said:

It's free. Ralph's and Albertson's are other options but I find the quality at Von's much better.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayerling|1401768930|3685353 said:

Check out Superior.
Their produce prices MUCH are lower than Vons, Ralphs, Albertsons, Stater Brothers, etc.

Call them and ask which week days have the produce sale.
I think another day has the meat sale, though we buy our meat at Costco.

Wow, I had no idea they had 41 locations in So California.
http://superiorgrocers.com/locations/

screen_shot_2014-06-02_at_10.png

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling said:

That would be the easiest. You'd probably save a little by running around to different stores for different things, but if you want quick and easy, just get a Von's card.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'm in San Diego.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1401765356|3685319 said:
I assume stores with unionized workers have higher prices.
That's not always the case. All three of our local chains are Union and they're the cheapest besides walmart, and I don't patronze walmart, ever. But I usually shop at Costco for most things like meat and produce, unless I need something specific I know they dont' carry.

And Unions are needed now more than ever. I don't get the Union bashing in this country. Without them we would have no weekends at all (for most jobs), and we'd be paid less than we are already. They set a good standard of living and fair wages. Sure some of them have their own issues, but by and large...this country NEEDS them. I am so damn sick of hearing about CEO salaries being 8 figures and the same company paying their people minimum wage and racking up record profits like that is something to be proud of.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't believe no one has mentioned SPROUTS in So. Cal. I love sprouts! Trader Joes is good too. Safeway (Vons) is only good if you stick to meat and things on sale.

Honestly, go to farmers markets for produce. MUCH better quality.

We usually end up going to 4 stores for groceries. Costco. Trader Joes. Sprouts. Safeway (only for meat and stuff on sale). And then a farmers market for produce.

And if I want fancy stuff like cheeses or pate or caviar. I''l hit one of the high end stores for ONLY that.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1401832017|3685896 said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned SPROUTS in So. Cal. I love sprouts! Trader Joes is good too. Safeway (Vons) is only good if you stick to meat and things on sale.

Honestly, go to farmers markets for produce. MUCH better quality.

We usually end up going to 4 stores for groceries. Costco. Trader Joes. Sprouts. Safeway (only for meat and stuff on sale). And then a farmers market for produce.

And if I want fancy stuff like cheeses or pate or caviar. I''l hit one of the high end stores for ONLY that.

Ha I was going to recommend it but I've always found them to be more pricey than Von's!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Try a farmers market for veggies--I always find that so much cheaper. There are also some grocery outlet stores that can be good for dry goods.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're near the San Fernando Valley check out Sunland Produce. I stopped there once on my way out of town and was impresssed with the prices. It has kind if a warehouse mercado feel to it.

ETA oops - San Diego. Nowhere near San Fernando Valley!

Gypsy, keep an eye out for Grocery Outlet stores. They're finally expanding into the Bay Area, and they're great for grocery bargain hunting!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Is it possible to shop at Costco without membership?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1401918626|3686615 said:
Is it possible to shop at Costco without membership?

Nope. I think you can get a trial pass if you go to customer service? I'm not sure on that, I know you used to be able to do it. The membership is $50 for a year, though, so really not bad. Especially if you'll be buying a lot of diapers and wipes.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW you can patronize Costco pharmacy, hearing clinic and optometry clinic without being a Costco member.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results