shape
carat
color
clarity

advises?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for my poor photography. The main reason why I am not posting here, but I have three mint garnets and no ideas so I'd welcome any advises. This one was bought from Lisa. No camera can capture its blue-green color, or at least none of mine. It is portugueze cut and very suitable for a ring, I wonder if I should just prong it or use a halo from tiny pink sapphires or pink (irradiated of course) diamonds?

mint garnet33.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is a 5+ct very clean stone but a window in a mint garnet spoils all effect. This will be probably slightly recut.

mint garnet 22.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my heart-shaped 5+ ct stone, a window in which I hope to close in a setting. I have a faint idea about a possible pendant, but nothing concrete...

heart mint1.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my questions are about the general plan. Would you advise to make a simple 6-pronged ring with Lisa's stone or a pink -haloed ring? And perhaps, a matching pink-haloed pendant? Perhaps someone could give me an idea of what to do with the oval garnet after the recut? And sorry for poor quality of photos, the main reason why I am not posting here any longer.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lisa's is a beautiful stone (I know the stone because I wanted to buy it, and dragged my feet a day too long :)) ). Because its cut so well, I would minimize the bling. If I remember it correctly, its fairly large and therefore unless you want cocktail ring proportions, I would not halo it. What about a simple split shank prong setting with diamond melee on the shank?

The other two I would make more elaborate to take the focus off the less than stellar cutting. I can't wait to see what you do - I was worried that we had lost you for a while there when you said you were losing interest in stones and settings - and glad to see you back!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and rose gold please, if you can stand it... =)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you got any pink that you can put next to the stone? I'm not sure that pink will work but it's so difficult unless knowing the shade of pink you're thinking of. Irradiated pink diamonds tend to be very pink and this would probably not work against the subtle green/blue. Paler pinks might work but I wonder if it would be too much going on? How about a tiny white melee halo if you're going to halo?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Arkteia, I'd much rather have you here with photography you aren't happy with, than to lose you. Your pics are better than quite a few vendor sites, ya know.

Really nice stone of Lisa's & a good ring size. My first thought was "not pink," but you have such a talent for combining unexpected colors into a smashing look that I'd love to see a photo of them next to each other. In general LD makes a good point, that you don't want to out-bling that subtle mint color -- or imo take away from a fabulous Portuguese cut. If you want to halo it, I agree a tiny halo would do it more justice.

The heart shape with halo or other stones in pink would be really unique & I like the idea. A Spring pendant!

--- Laurie

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1330864174|3140402 said:
Arkteia, I'd much rather have you here with photography you aren't happy with, than to lose you. Your pics are better than quite a few vendor sites, ya know.

Really nice stone of Lisa's & a good ring size. My first thought was "not pink," but you have such a talent for combining unexpected colors into a smashing look that I'd love to see a photo of them next to each other. In general LD makes a good point, that you don't want to out-bling that subtle mint color -- or imo take away from a fabulous Portuguese cut. If you want to halo it, I agree a tiny halo would do it more justice.

The heart shape with halo or other stones in pink would be really unique & I like the idea. A Spring pendant!

--- Laurie

+1, though I do understand your frustration (the process has left me with far fewer threads than great stones). So, you are the one who acquired that amazing stone of Lisa's! I'm so glad (though also would have been happy for you, MB!). :) I tend to agree with the others, I would keep it fairly simple around that one - it really is a statement all on its own, though the simple white diamond melee on the sides idea might be nice.

The pink stones around one of the other stones in a pendant might be nice, though I also have a hard time picturing it without seeing it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the pink. I would halo it because I think haloing minty garnets makes them glow even further, and really brings out their color. Perhaps light pink stones. Stones that are too pink might be a little distracting, or alternating white and pink stones. You can probably find pale pink diamond melee for a reasonable price from Leibisch, or somewhere. The Lisa stone is very bright, is it lighter in tone? If so, I would definitely halo that one. My mint is medium light in tone, and I still haloed it. It's my favorite ring to wear. Rose gold will definitely bring out the blue more in these gems.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yes, rose gold!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IIRC, Lisa's stone is extremely bright with a good bit of blue in it. I feel that I must disclose the fact that I have little success for setting stones, but that said, what about white diamond melee in rose gold? Won't that give the pink tone and make the diamonds seem more pink? I still wouldn't halo it though - its just too perfect for that. :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1330896213|3140642 said:
IIRC, Lisa's stone is extremely bright with a good bit of blue in it. I feel that I must disclose the fact that I have little success for setting stones, but that said, what about white diamond melee in rose gold? Won't that give the pink tone and make the diamonds seem more pink? I still wouldn't halo it though - its just too perfect for that. :love:

I think there's a misconception that a halo takes away from a stone. It doesn't, it can actually highlight a stone and deepen a lighter toned gem. With extremely bright and sparkly gems, they literally glow in halos vs. non-halos in my experience.

I think certain ugly gems, like the Kate/Diana sapphire, are haloed because they're so pitiful, they need some bling around them to make them look better, but when a halo is properly used around the "correct" gem, it can be drop dead gorgeous.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please do not leave on account of bad pictures; we'd rather you remain with no pictures instead of not having you here at all. ;(

I think the first round garnet will do well in a pink halo, most likely a medium pink. Irradiated pink will be too strong and detract from the beauty of the mint garnet. The rose gold and halo will help amp up the colour of the mint.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1330913338|3140806 said:
Please do not leave on account of bad pictures; we'd rather you remain with no pictures instead of not having you here at all. ;(

+1

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your advises. Actually, I wanted something light-pink, like pink sapphires. I have two smaller ones and thought about obtaining more and making a kind of a bale with it for a pendant. Like a stem of an apple. Does anyone knows where to get ligh-pink-sapphire stones, 4 mm or around, ... good cut, preferably round? Or light-pink sapphire melee, if it even exists? And yes, I love rose gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkteia|1330986352|3141345 said:
Thank you all for your advises. Actually, I wanted something light-pink, like pink sapphires. I have two smaller ones and thought about obtaining more and making a kind of a bale with it for a pendant. Like a stem of an apple. Does anyone knows where to get ligh-pink-sapphire stones, 4 mm or around, ... good cut, preferably round? Or light-pink sapphire melee, if it even exists? And yes, I love rose gold.

Pink sapphire melee exists, but it's most probably diffused, if that's okay with you. It would be too costly and not worth it to get untreated or heated only pink sapphires.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It shouldn't be an issue for your jeweller to source light pink sapphire or even spinel melees. It seems that Stuller offers all sorts of melees these days according to their sales catalogue.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1331001457|3141501 said:
It shouldn't be an issue for your jeweller to source light pink sapphire or even spinel melees. It seems that Stuller offers all sorts of melees these days according to their sales catalogue.

I also saw them in my Rio Grande catalogue too. They're very inexpensive.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!
I made some daytime pics of two stones...
And I found two pale small sapphires, but I am going to browse Stuller and Rio Grande, to see if they can offer a better choice. Thank you!

mint31.jpg

mint9.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results