shape
carat
color
clarity

Advise on buying a new setting

mishy

Rough_Rock
I am looking to reset my pear into a split shank halo. Is it less expensive to buy a setting online and have the local jeweler do the reset? Is buying a setting online safe? Or is it just all around safer and easier to go into an actual jewelry store where I can see, touch, and get a better visual? Thanks.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Watching with interest mishy as I have a few loose stones I am looking to have set. Don't want to hijack your thread however. Hopefully people who jump in with some good advice! :P2

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Buying a setting online is safe but if it does not match the size of your stone well, you could be spending a lot of money getting it customised by a jeweller, if that's possible. I was looking at buying a setting online but in the end I decided that my stone was too chunky to take the chance and had it set properly. My jeweller friend said that the fancy cuts like pear, heart, marquise are the hardest to get right in a semi-mount setting. If your stone isn't super expensive and you find a setting at a reasonable price, it could be worth trying.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With a pear, I would have the jeweler buy the setting, as pears are harder to fit into stock settings than rounds.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Great question. I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking of someday adding a thin halo to my RB. OP, I don’t know if you’re like me, but I like when the halo sits right on top of the diamond creating more of a flanked look. I don’t know if that’s the right word but I don’t like gaps between the center diamond and the halo. Not sure of what that style is callled and if it has a specific name or not or just halo.

mishy

Rough_Rock
I agree. Prefer no gaps, or whatever it's called :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results