shape
carat
color
clarity

Advise about brown diamond?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[Sorry in advance for detestable photos - my favorite phone is not even on the market yet, so these photos are taken by the cheapest phone, or should I rather blame the photographer? ;-) ]

So I never wear and almost never buy diamonds because I like colored stones. And colored diamonds cost an arm and a leg. I tried to pull the trigger several times, but it was too heavy.

This stone was bough exactly how one should not buy a diamond (spontaneously and uncerted), but now it has a GIA certificate, and it is untreated, S1, 3-ct, the cert says brown-yellow, but to me, indoors, it just looks warm brown. Not perfect but good cut and very good symmetry.

So I feel like a maiden who finally got married... seriously!

Moreover, a diamond can be bezeled (my stones usually are not).

So I tried coating it in silver foil, and outside it emphasises the yellow. And then I ordered golden foil on Amazon but upon delivery it appeared to be golden wrapping paper (Amazon has been very poor in quality recently but great in quantity - the amount delivered is enough to gift-wrap for for a small regiment).

So I made two photos. Want to know what people think about bezeling brown diamonds...WG or YG? What people do with them? Tbh it looks best against red foil, maybe it means, RG?

Sorry for blabbering...feelings abound! :)

20170620_225548.jpg

View attachment 500925

View attachment 500926

IMG_20170618_173155_312.jpg

IMG_20170618_215708_364.jpg

20170616_105108.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on getting married, lol!

No contest - white gold.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
White to my eyes too :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
white white white! It makes the stone really pop!

BTW where did you get the stone? I've always coveted a large brown/yellow/champagne diamond.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Minousbijoux, Burmesedaze,and Lovedogs!

Minous - there is something about these first marriages, lol... ;-)

Lovedogs, I spontaneously did something what I read about only much later. It was a show, and I bought an uncertified diamond (I would have never done it before, but I used to buy from that group of vendors, different stones, and personally trusted them). They promised to take it back in case of it being treated. I sent it to GIA for certification. I probably would not buy SI in a white diamond but this one is OK. These prices are better than what you can purchase online with certs. Perhaps I should have saved for a canary one, but the prices for vivid yellow (the one I want; from an online vendor, certs and all) are very steep. I think that emotionally I would not be able to shell out so much for my first diamond. This one, I know, I will be wearing, and it is large, even for my fingers.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe you bring your stone to a local jeweler (perhaps call ahead ) and see if they have a gold, white gold, and rose gold setting to fit your stone. You could place I your stone on top and try it on to see what looks best on you as well as what color metal looks best with your diamond. Take lots of pictures with all 3 metals and then decide!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ordinarily vote for RG especially given how you said it looks best in the red foil but wow, that silver foil just shows the colour so nicely, so I'll vote WG instead.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you can judge just by the 2 pics above, both seem to have different lighting. You can see how much darker the stone is in the red pic. Usually you want rg with orangy brown diamond, and yg with yellowish brown diamond. At least the head. According to the letter grade I would go with yg myself. But the best way to go is to do what crazy4cuts mentioned. Also how does rg and yg look with your skin tone? That's also important to think about. If all fails going with wg is a pretty safe choice since the stone is dark enough.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has to be bezeled?

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Congratulations! You will find the color of your diamond changes as the day goes on. She will go from a honey to a dark brown in an instant once you go from indoor to outdoor. I set mine originally in yellow gold, but recently changed mounts to white gold. The white imo reflects the best color. She still gets moody in white, but at least she's not so dark.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote would be either a white bezel or a halo of white diamonds it contrasts and makes the colour including a very slight hint of yellow pop out of the stone more IMHO.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote would be either a white bezel or a halo of white diamonds it contrasts and makes the colour including a very slight hint of yellow pop out of the stone more IMHO.
Ooh, this would work too!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous diamond! My friend has a large pear shaped cognac diamond with white trapezoid diamond side stones. Originally, she had it set in yellow gold. It looked lovely, but when she had it reset in platinum, it looked even better. Have fun setting your lovely!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like brown diamonds in rose gold. Nice stone!!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone. I'm no expert, but I think the silver foil really brings the color to life.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like the silver brings out the yellow beautifully. If it were me, that's the color I would probably go with.
The pic LisaRN posted of one in rose gold looks gorgeous too.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based om your story: RG
However... based on the pics: WG. It makes the diamond pop

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has to be bezeled?

No, not at all. But I always wanted a bezeled stone with milgrain but my colored stones lost a lot of fire in bezel. I assume that the diamond is dispersive enough to be bezeled. But, I am open to ideas.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Everyone!
We've learned that holding a stone in or near things of a given color metal is not always ( in fact rarely) indicative of how a diamond will actually look when set.
Plus, sometimes with these browns, you get a surprise. You expected it to look more one way, and it doesn't listen to your thoughts:)
I also agree that the names of the colors GIA uses on brown diamonds don't seem to match the reality. of how they actually look.
Bad pics, yes- but the stone still looks lovely!@ Nice find!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that WG or Platinum would look great with your brown diamond. But I did a quick Google image search and I find that these diamonds also look wonderful in rose gold. Here is an example.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...-rare-vs-clarity-see-white-fluorescence-r4500

Thank you for this thread. I always felt that something reddish around (not sapphires or diamonds, but some reddish stones) would look better, warmer, but I don't understand, have they used brown diamonds for a halo? Very interesting!

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Arkteia,
Your stone is lovely! The stone in my engagement ring is somewhat similar, and I got a lot of help from PS members when I was facing a dilemma similar to yours. Here's the thread. You may find the pictures helpful:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-choosing-between-two-diamonds.185059/

The only caveat is that the rose gold I have is a little more copper-y than most.

ETA: I should have mentioned that I ended up choosing the rose gold. Pics of the final ring are here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mc2-e-ring-is-here-brown-diamond-rose-gold.186685/

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
freezing_in_MO - first of all, love your name! :) (I spent one year in IS, not so far away, and continental climate is something. Cold winters, and August is the scorcher).

Gorgeous ring, and such a beautiful setting! I wish I knew MC2 was in MA, we just flew there for kid's graduation... ah well.

Thank you for the idea, and the thread. I have no doubt you have the most wonderful ering ever.

In the meantime, I bought another thin yellow foil, for homemade truffles, and will start experimenting. Maybe someone sells RG foil, too. I think it is important to have several foils, for different projects.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
You are very kind. I love that ring, and probably would have ended up with something far inferior if it hadn't been for kind PSers. I hadn't even heard of MC2 until I happened upon PS. I got excellent advice and a lot of kindness here, at a time when I really needed it. My father died a few days after my ring arrived, so I did not return to PS for over a year. I still feel like I didn't thank people properly for all their help.

The foil idea is brilliant!

The nice thing about the climate here is that whatever is happening doesn't last too long. We've seen it all this year - tornadoes, biblical floods, scorching heat, cool weather in June. All of it passed in a few days.

Congratulations on the graduation! I'll try to stay far, far away from MC2 if I am in MA. I'm afraid that I'll lose control and start selling my kidneys on the spot ;-)

freezing_in_MO - first of all, love your name! :) (I spent one year in IS, not so far away, and continental climate is something. Cold winters, and August is the scorcher).

Gorgeous ring, and such a beautiful setting! I wish I knew MC2 was in MA, we just flew there for kid's graduation... ah well.

Thank you for the idea, and the thread. I have no doubt you have the most wonderful ering ever.

In the meantime, I bought another thin yellow foil, for homemade truffles, and will start experimenting. Maybe someone sells RG foil, too. I think it is important to have several foils, for different projects.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I liked it best in the pink background. Why? The most interesting thing I find about brown diamonds, are their pink modifiers. Rose gold I think would be most likely to bring that out. If I ever got a brown diamond, I would want to try to find one that at least to my eyes has those rose, pink tint to it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this was mentioned above, but place it on a shiny penny to see how it might look in rose gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results