shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice please on star sapphire

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
I have bought a star sapphire, it was not expensive about £200, but I could do with some advice about it. It appears to have something that looks like cracks, that I did not see in the vendor photos. The listing disappeared as soon as I purchased it and didn't take a screenshot, so I don't have the original listing.

I'm unsure if it was damaged in transit, or if they really are cracks or just inclusions. I'm considering whether to just return the stone.

I have taken some photos...
20181012_164504.jpg 20181012_164510.jpg 20181012_162815.jpg 20181012_162807.jpg 20181012_164459.jpg

I would be grateful for your advice on this!

voce

Ideal_Rock
How do YOU feel about your sapphire, as you received it? Would you wear it often? Is it worth 200 quid to you?

In my opinion, some sellers will do a bait and switch. They post pictures of similar but better stones than the stone they ship out. I would return the stone just because it's different from what I was expecting to buy.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
How do YOU feel about your sapphire, as you received it? Would you wear it often? Is it worth 200 quid to you?

In my opinion, some sellers will do a bait and switch. They post pictures of similar but better stones than the stone they ship out. I would return the stone just because it's different from what I was expecting to buy.

I am unsure whether it will grow on me, or if it will keep bothering me. If they are cracks I'm worried about whether it's even safe to set. I was expecting some colour zoning based on the price and pictures, but not cracks/surface reaching inclusions. I will definitely not be buying online again without taking a screenshot of the listing! I have 30 days to return, no questions, so then I'll only be out shipping costs if I decide to return it.

I have emailed the vendor to ask if this is the condition it was shipped in, or if it's been damaged in transit. I'm also worried they'll try to say I damaged it, as obviously it has to be returned in the same condition.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m concerned that it may be a titanium diffusion star, which is fine as long as it was disclosed to you before buying. If it looked really different in pictures, I’d say return it. It’s unlikely that it cracked like that in transit. Those look like natural fractures/inclusions to me.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
I managed to get a couple of pictures through my 30x loupe, I don't know if they will be any help as to whether these are cracks or inclusions:

20181012_220125.jpg 20181012_220157.jpg

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
I’m concerned that it may be a titanium diffusion star, which is fine as long as it was disclosed to you before buying. If it looked really different in pictures, I’d say return it. It’s unlikely that it cracked like that in transit. Those look like natural fractures/inclusions to me.

It came with an AIGS report stating natural and unheated, so I thought if it is unheated then it couldn't be diffused?

Here is the report : 20181012_221604.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It came with an AIGS report stating natural and unheated, so I thought if it is unheated then it couldn't be diffused?

Here is the report : 20181012_221604.jpg
Well then it appears to be natural! One less thing to be concerned about.... I would say those are natural fractures/cracks. In the second pictures, it looks very natural to me. My response was based on the first set, which looked a little bit similar to the way titanium stars sometimes look.
It’s very pretty but only you can decide whether you would be completely happy with it. If you feel that you would want a different one if you kept it, it might be best to return it and get one you would be completely satisfied with. In my opinion, stars are beautiful even with fractures, but when it comes to setting them, one really should be in love with the stone.

Last edited:

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Well then it appears to be natural. I would say those are natural fractures/cracks. In the second pictures, it looks very natural to me. My response was based on the first set, which looked a little bit similar to the way titanium stars sometimes look.

Thank you for your input, I hope that one day my bling budget may stretch to a star sapphire as beautiful as yours! Most of the budget has gone on some things that we're not supposed to talk about in this forum.

If these are natural fractures/inclusions and don't affect the integrity of the stone then I think I will think for a while whether it will grow on me, imperfections and all. Hopefully the sun will come out tomorrow, it's dark now and it's been raining all day here, so I haven't seen it at its best. I may take it for a walk around the garden and see how it feels :bigsmile:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your input, I hope that one day my bling budget may stretch to a star sapphire as beautiful as yours! Most of the budget has gone on some things that we're not supposed to talk about in this forum.

If these are natural fractures/inclusions and don't affect the integrity of the stone then I think I will think for a while whether it will grow on me, imperfections and all. Hopefully the sun will come out tomorrow, it's dark now and it's been raining all day here, so I haven't seen it at its best. I may take it for a walk around the garden and see how it feels :bigsmile:
I re wrote my above post...I think all stars are really beautiful, fractures or not. Just when it comes to setting them, it’s important that you really love the stone. I think that’s a good idea, to think it over and see if it speaks to you. It’s a lovely size and color, and has personality! It’s hard to say whether the fractures would affect strength. Can you see if they run all the way through the stone? Would you wear it as a ring or a pendant?

Thank you for the kind compliment! I looked for such a long time before I found one that really spoke to me. My first one was an Indian star ruby with lots of fractures and flaws, but I just adored it. I could only see the magic of it. My dad brought it back from India as a girl. I lost it shortly after having recieved it and had been looking ever since.

It is also possible just to keep it as is and place it somewhere where you can admire it. I bought a $15 star ruby ( a very opaque brown/red stone with an undefined star ) which I put in my office because I love looking at during the day. It makes me just as happy to see as set jewelry. They all have their own kind of beauty!

Last edited:

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
I re wrote my above post...I think all stars are really beautiful, fractures or not. Just when it comes to setting them, it’s important that you really love the stone. I think that’s a good idea, to think it over and see if it speaks to you. It’s a lovely size and color, and has personality! It’s hard to say whether the fractures would affect strength. Can you see if they run all the way through the stone? Would you wear it as a ring or a pendant?

Thank you for the kind compliment! I looked for such a long time before I found one that really spoke to me. My first one was an Indian star ruby with lots of fractures and flaws, but I just adored it. I could only see the magic of it. My dad brought it back from India as a girl. I lost it shortly after having recieved it and had been looking ever since.

It is also possible just to keep it as is. I have a star ruby ( a very opaque brown/red stone with an undefined star ) in my office which I love looking at during the day. It makes me just as happy to see as set jewelry. They all have their own kind of beauty!

I am planning to set in a ring, nothing too fancy, but I hope to wear it a lot. I love stars, I just find them magical. The star in this stone is very good and sharp, and the size and colour are good for the price. I have not fallen in love with it yet though :think:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am planning to set in a ring, nothing too fancy, but I hope to wear it a lot. I love stars, I just find them magical. The star in this stone is very good and sharp, and the size and colour are good for the price. I have not fallen in love with it yet though :think:
I’m with you, they are magical! You are right, it does have a nice size, star and color for the price.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
I found that I have still been feeling uncertain about this stone, mostly because of the fractures, some of which seem to be surface reaching. I was browsing the mastercut gems rocktober sale and saw that there were some nice looking star sapphires at very good prices, I trust Dana's gem selection so I think it's a better bet. So I've decided to return this one and I bought another.

Screenshot_20181014-202841_Firefox.jpg 39011.jpg 39014.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found that I have still been feeling uncertain about this stone, mostly because of the fractures, some of which seem to be surface reaching. I was browsing the mastercut gems rocktober sale and saw that there were some nice looking star sapphires at very good prices, I trust Dana's gem selection so I think it's a better bet. So I've decided to return this one and I bought another.

Really lovely! I think this one is more suited to a ring because of the lack of fractures and the shape. It’s also a higher carat weight. Love the denim blue color.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Really lovely! I think this one is more suited to a ring because of the lack of fractures and the shape. It’s also a higher carat weight. Love the denim blue color.

Thanks! CS is such a learning curve trying to read vendor photos and learning what's actually good value o_O

At least this is not a particularly expensive lesson, just shipping costs!

I hope I'm still excited by this new stone when it arrives.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! CS is such a learning curve trying to read vendor photos and learning what's actually good value o_O

At least this is not a particularly expensive lesson, just shipping costs!

I hope I'm still excited by this new stone when it arrives.
It really is a gauntlet shopping with pictures! Let’s hope this one speaks to you...please show pics when it comes!

Last edited:

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
It really is a gauntlet shopping with pictures! Let’s hipe this one speaks to you...please show pics when it comes!

I definitely will, if it's a keeper I'll add it to the star thread too. At least I can put the money I saved towards setting!

voce

Ideal_Rock

Good decision imo! Your star sapphire was one that was in my cart briefly, but I decided to go for an 8.83ct that was more shallow so that I could have an easier time setting it myself. I'm looking forward to seeing how you will set it! :roll2:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good decision imo! Your star sapphire was one that was in my cart briefly, but I decided to go for an 8.83ct that was more shallow so that I could have an easier time setting it myself. I'm looking forward to seeing how you will set it! :roll2:
@voce, I can’t wait to see how you set yours! Any particular ideas?

voce

Ideal_Rock
@voce, I can’t wait to see how you set yours! Any particular ideas?
il_570xN.1576915111_ptuo.jpg

38989.jpg
I'm having PointyPaws on Etsy make me a serrated stackable ring blank for this star, and then I'll set it myself. I think I'll need to wait a few weeks before I have both and can set my ring.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
il_570xN.1576915111_ptuo.jpg

38989.jpg
I'm having PointyPaws on Etsy make me a serrated stackable ring blank for this star, and then I'll set it myself. I think I'll need to wait a few weeks before I have both and can set my ring.

I am looking forward to this project! That is cool that you found someone to custom make you the cab setting!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I am looking forward to this project! That is cool that you found someone to custom make you the cab setting!
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this project too. I got the serrated type not only because it looks prettier than a plain band going around the cab, but also because I've never set into bezels before and I heard that serrated will be easier. Any tips from more experienced self-setters would be welcome! :P2

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this project too. I got the serrated type not only because it looks prettier than a plain band going around the cab, but also because I've never set into bezels before and I heard that serrated will be easier. Any tips from more experienced self-setters would be welcome! :P2
I can offer some advice on setting that serrated bezel.
As you push down the serrated points, think of a clock face.
Push them down in this manner: 12, 6, 9, 3, and so on. If you start at one side and work around the stone, you may get an uneven bezel in the end.
Press them down pretty hard, and make sure you get close contact with all surfaces. Check this with a loupe. Any prongs that are slightly raised will catch on everything!
Good luck! It will be beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results