shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on VS2 with knot

wvu51035

Rough_Rock
Hello,

First time poster. I’m looking to buy an engagement ring and came across a gorgeous stone at a reputable local jeweler. I did a lot of research and went in knowing what I was looking for. The only thing I’d not heard of where knots. This diamond is eye clean and brilliant. More so than a few other similar diamonds. I was thrilled and had them put it on hold. I’m now concerned about the knot and what I’ve read about them.

Can someone please give me some advice on whether I should worry about this inclusion? Particularly from a structural standpoint.

VS2 diamond, eye clean
I
Triple Ex
$12,500 cash price
GIA report: 1228003719

Thank you in advance!
H

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy this stone, not for the knot (though it's a total deal breaker for some people), but bc it isn't well cut. Gia XXX doesn't guarantee a top performing stone, and this is an example. It's what we call "steep/deep". Stones from GIA should be run thru the HCA calculator (in "tools") and anything scoring over 2 = reject. If under 2, it's worth looking into further, trying to get advanced images, etc. This one scores 4.8, so it's a "reject".

It's priced low bc the jeweler knows it's not actually a good deal given the cut quality.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps. If you tell us your size / color preferences we can help you find a better performing eye clean stone

wvu51035

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the response. I thought it out shone the other diamonds I looked at side by side. Is it fair to say that the eye test is appropriate, or is this one so far out of the range I should stay away? I loved it in person.

As for the knot, what are your personal opinion on the integrity structurally in an VS2?

1.5 or higher
I color
VS2 or higher
Going to be set in rose gold

Thank you

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jewelry store lighting can make almost any diamond look pretty good.

This is so true! Before you decide, definitely look at it under other lighting to see how it will really perform. Jewelers spend a small fortune on their lighting for good reason.

wvu51035

Rough_Rock
How do I ensure I’ve seen it in fair lighting? I had it in the tweezers up away from the table over and the direct light. So just the general office light (though I’m sure even that is good).

But, y’all both agree I should step away from this diamond based on the HCA regardless of how it looks to the eye?

Thanks,
H

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
How do I ensure I’ve seen it in fair lighting? I had it in the tweezers up away from the table over and the direct light. So just the general office light (though I’m sure even that is good).

But, y’all both agree I should step away from this diamond based on the HCA regardless of how it looks to the eye?

Thanks,
H

There are definitely better options for a better cut stone that is eye clean and more desirable inclusions. But ultimately it's what you like with YOUR EYES that matter. PS is notorious for nitpicking diamonds.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks,
H
you must look at some well cut stones before you decide.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks,
H
If you look at ideal cut stones and still prefer this one then 100% go for it. I just worry that if people haven't ever seen an ideal cut in person, they are comparing a bunch of sub par stones . So maybe this is the best stone the jeweler had (and yes store lighting makes even bad stones look good), but it isn't a great cut. That said, there's no substitute for your own eyes. So if you see ideal stones in person and still want this one, that's completely fine. I just don't want to see anyone choose something only ok bc they haven't seen something great.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
you must look at some well cut stones before you decide.

So much this. You really need to know what a well cut stone looks like before you can go out there and use your eyes to pick one.

Besides the jewelry store lighting that is coming from all directions to make it almost impossible to tell a good stone from a bad one, if you are relatively new to diamonds, you may not know what to look for or even exactly what you’re looking at. What may appear to you as a diamond outshining others could turn out to be a messy cut with no contrast, which would look pretty bad to you after a few minutes of diamond research.

If you can’t find ideal cut diamonds to look at in person ... well actually, even if you can ... please take some time and google some diamond cut videos. There are a ton of them on YouTube and I think they would really help you eye a better diamond.

The fact that you like and even prefer a diamond that scores 4.8 on the HCA makes me seriously caution you against buying a diamond using just your eyes. It’s not as if this is borderline. Obviously, there are some good things about it or you wouldn’t like it at all, but you could do so much better. It’s your money. I’d like to see you spend it on a diamond that you will enjoy immensely for a long time, so please do a bit of research. I’m not asking you to become an expert, you came on here for advice ... but please take 20 minutes out of your day and have a look at some videos and maybe an article or two from here on PS.

If you’re open to online purchase, we would be happy to help you find a super-ideal diamond that will be very bad for your retinas. Usually the online prices are better too, but we do hear stories of B&M stores lowering prices when they find out their customers are shopping online, so please be sure to mention that to your vendor as well. Oh ... and ask your vendor if he can get an AGS graded diamond that scores 000 on the light performance .... that would be *ahem* ... ideal .... (sorry) ... wait, one more tip if you’re shopping in person ...it would be good to pick up an ASET scope for $25, they are well worth it. Buyer beware is the law.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results