shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on value of Vintage Ring

ndgillies

Rough_Rock
hi everyone I've spotted a second hand ring or "vintage" ring that I really like the look of. We are planning on going to try it on to see if I love it...My questions relates to the value.

The guy we are buying from didn't have it valued ...they have a business where the trade is second hand rings mostly engagement rings.

The ring is set with 4 princess (square) cut diamonds in the centre. Flanked on each side with 8 baguette cut diamonds and further offset on each corner with 4 round brilliant cut diamonds. The diamonds total just over 1ct. 18ct white gold estimated at 1960's

The asking price is 1400 dollars. There is no other information available as to cut or colour etc.

If i'm buying a second hand ring I do want to get good value for my money otherwise I may as well go to a shop a get myself a brand new ring. People slap the word vintage on second hand items to bump up the value. My question is how much would a ring like this normally go for?

I can send the link via a personal message with pictures of the ring. It does appear to be very bright and shiney but obviously this is only an picture.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you just post the link or post the pictures? There are not PMs on pricescope and it's hard to know what you are talking about
without pictures.

Is it 4 princess in the middle that are close together to look like 1 stone? Or are they spread out? Pictures...

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a quick look at the images - and based on these pics, I do see what I perceive to be: inclusions in at least one baguette and two princess-cuts; and at least one if not two of the baguettes seems to be set a bit crookedly (look particularly at photo 7 of 7 - you can see the two baguettes at the upper left are off-set from each other and from the princess-set square; and at the lower left, the top baguette looks to have a feather running horizontally).

Whether any of these perceptions bear out in real life, and/or to what extent they are visible and/or matter to you, I don't know. I also tend to distrust listings which include only total carat weight info but no breakdown as to individual stones and no color/clarity estimates. The shank and undergallery does look substantial in terms of metal weight. I guess if there is a reasonable return policy, and you like this kind of ring, it may be worth checking out.

eta: I agree in this case "vintage" seems to mean "estate," or "second-hand" - I would guess it is from the 1970s or 1980s (?) - whether $1400 is a reasonable value I can't say, since we don't know the diamond quality. However, for me, even if I liked this ring style, the crooked baguettes would eliminate this particular ring from my own consideration.

ndgillies

Rough_Rock
Thank for the feed back I also thought one of the stones were crooked too but I wasn't sure... if both of us spotted that then it must be. I do really like the ring and even if it is crooked that wouldnt be a deal breaker for me. What is a deal breaker would be paying over the odds for a secound hand ring. I dont care about the word vintage but I do care about value for money. More feedback very welcomw

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think for the money you could find a better ring.

Its interesting. But I fear its overpriced for what you're actually getting.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the price negotiable? If you actually like it, you can try getting the price down a bit (lot) based on what marymm said.

ndgillies

Rough_Rock
I don't know if they would move on price but it's worth asking I suppose. I'm in Ireland and so is the ring I posted.

Neil... I love the first and last rings you posted very different .... but I would have to be able to actually see them on my hand before I bought...I will be living with it every day.

what would you say at an estimate would be a good price for the ring in Ireland...900?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results