shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

essequamvideri

Rough_Rock
Hey there friends...thanks in advance for all the great advice available on this board. I am currently shopping diamonds for an engagement ring, and need help determining whether or not this diamond is priced fairly or cut well. It has an EGL USA certificate providing the following info:

Weight: 1.03 ct
Shape: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.53 - 6.41 x 3.98 mm

Proportions:

Depth: 61.7%
Table: 58%
Crown: 14.6%
Pavilion: 43.1%
Girdle: Medium to Sl. Thick Faceted

Cutlet: None

Finish
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good

Clarity Grade: SI2

Color Grade: H

Flourescence: Medium Blue

The dealer I have spoken with offered this diamond for 4200 dollars. Do you think this is a fair price? The dealer attached a Universal Gemological Services appraisal taht estimated the retail price to be 8,940 dollars. I have been promised it is eye-clean and may have a chance to see it in person, but when I put it in the cut grade tool, I don''t get any response?

What are your general thoughts on this stone/price?

Thanks!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a 1.5 on the HCA when I ran it through. If it's eyeclean it could be a runner. I think that it has been mentioned before that the EGL grading can be a bit lax, so it would probably be worth getting it independently appraised if you go for it.

Here's one that's a little bit less in price and it's more or less the same size.

stone 1

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
A quick search on Pricescope showed H, S12 stones with GIA certs starting at about 800 less. There were even a few excellents in there. So yes, you are overpaying for that stone. Also, I wouldn''t put too much weight in the UGL appraisal. Aren''t they part of EGL?

BUT, the stone could be a winner. I would though take it to an independant appraiser anyway just to make sure I''m getting what I''m paying for. With EGL (even EGL US) stones are discounted from what I''ve seen on 47th st in ny- so why not make sure it really is an H SI1, and not an I I1.

essequamvideri

Rough_Rock
To conclude...

1) The cut is indeed excellent (Holloway- 1.5 total).

2) EGL is a risk that I should use as a factor to negotiate.

3) Eye-clean must mean eye-clean if it is indeed a good deal.

Anymore advice? I will be making my decision tomorrow and would appreciate any final thoughts.

Thanks!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 8:14:34 PM
Author: essequamvideri
To conclude...

1) The cut is indeed excellent (Holloway- 1.5 total).

2) EGL is a risk that I should use as a factor to negotiate.

3) Eye-clean must mean eye-clean if it is indeed a good deal.

Anymore advice? I will be making my decision tomorrow and would appreciate any final thoughts.

Thanks!
No, The hca tells you the basic combo has the potential to be excellent.
It does not tell you that the particular implementation you are looking at is well cut.
You need your eyes, an ASET or IS to confirm that.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally think you could do a little better.
1.gif

This diamond is out of round, and Symmetry is only Good. We recommend sticking with Very Good and up.

Here''s a couple I found. Of course you need to ask if eyeclean. This first one may not be, but the majority may be possible to hide under a prong. PS discount not reflected.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1111985.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

The IS on this looks funny because the stone, or something was tilted when they took the pic, it should be fine.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1112005.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely see the stone - is there a refund policy if you don''t like it?

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Check out the fluorescence.
Check it out in lots of different lighting.
Compare it to other diamonds. If they have a AGSL/GIA graded H, compare it to that.
Look at it with a loupe. Where are the SI2 inclusions?
Ask about their return policy (not an exchange policy).
Good luck!

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Cutlet: None

I know its corny but thought this very cute
emotion-5.gif

essequamvideri

Rough_Rock
The honesty is definitely appreciated. I''ll move forward with a bit more caution...since it seems this isn''t as great of a deal as the dealer I spoke with led on. (who would have thunk it!)

This process is so detail oriented...I can see why many guys just end up settling for what''s in front of them for the sake of ending the hunt.

I''ll be sure to keep everyone posted on my next diamond of inquiry...thanks a million for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results