shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on this Diamond

murusashi

Rough_Rock
https://www.brilliantearth.com/rings/cyorings/view_diamond/7689744/?sid=1325454&is_tab=1

I'm in the market for a 2CT diamond.

From what I've seen eye, clean ideal cut (fall into the super ideal crown/pavillion angles), SI1, I colored mined diamonds seem to be around 15K.

I'm now looking at man-made diamonds as a possible alternative, again 2CT in the super ideal cut range, G+, VS1. The proportions of the below diamond seem to fall into that range (34 crown angle, 40.8 pavillion) and GCAL seems more reliable than IGI.

Is the diamond in the link at 9.5K a good buy, seems like based on the grades and cut specs it would be very good. Thoughts?

290590023.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HCA score looks promising and the crown and pavilion angles are not on the edge of the PS-recommended / PS-accepted parameters, so even if the cut consistency varies across the facets, hopefully all should be within the required tolerances to still work well together.

I am not sure if BE can provide an ASETscope image, but the (not directly comparable but still useful) similar image on the grading report looks fairly consistent.

G colour should be colourless enough to avoid any brown tint that some MMDs can have - you would have to check that out in person. It's annoying there are no actual pictures or, better, videos - VS1 should hopefully be eye-clean, though.

As for the price... the MMD market is still quite new, there are quite a few potential vendors, there is no MMD version of the Rappaport pricing reports, and the long-term secondhand value of them is an unknown, hence it is hard for both vendors and purchasers to price consistently and confidently.

If you are considering MMDs then you must be prepared to write off the entire cost as a sunk-cost - Mined diamonds can trade from / be returned/exchanged for 10% to 80% of their original purchase value, but the secondhand MMD market is still largely an unknown, so you must purchase in the awareness that you may only get towards the very lower end of that range if you ever need to liquidise it as an asset. Additionally, the retail prices of new MMDs could, potentially, come down substantially - many people are saying this will be the case, and De Beers' 'lightbox' diamonds are priced at $800/ct but currently limited to 1ct maximum size, so future potential pricing across the wider market remains unclear.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results