shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on this diamond...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrjonesandme

Rough_Rock
Can any of the experts on the board give me some feedback on this diamond? The price is 4360 and I have attached pictures and the report. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

104udpic1.JPG

ct-appr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Looks nice. Fair price.

mrjonesandme

Rough_Rock
Thanks ct-appr.

Should I be concerned about the VS2 clarity grade? What about the fluorescence being faint?

I think everything else is pretty good. Table and Depth are in the low 60''s. The color is obviously great and the girdle/polish/symmetry aren''t any show stoppers. Do the x-ray and ASET scans reveal anything alarming?

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Don''t give the faint UV a second thought. And the shape is great. I was often told that if the shape resembles a playing card, its the right shape and that is very important with fancy shapes. You have the best color. In my book VS2''s are a great clarity to have.

tap02150

Shiny_Rock
i wanted to bump this so others can make comment on that ASET. it looks off to me, but i have no prior experience with your cut

good luck

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/19/2009 11:10:38 PM
Author: tap02150
i wanted to bump this so others can make comment on that ASET. it looks off to me, but i have no prior experience with your cut

good luck
Not good, and not sure how they made the idelal-s-scope that red?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/20/2009 6:53:15 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

good luck
Ditto, its not a great ASET, this radiant does not look like it is returning much light regrettably ( sparkle).

More on ASET, these links will explain more about interpreting ASET images.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

mrjonesandme

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the help. So the deep red is an indicator that it might show a bit dull? I have another ASET image coming in tomorrow hopefully so I''ll post that soon.

Thanks again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/20/2009 11:09:44 AM
Author: mrjonesandme
Thanks all for the help. So the deep red is an indicator that it might show a bit dull? I have another ASET image coming in tomorrow hopefully so I'll post that soon.

Thanks again!
I believe what Garry is saying is that looking at the diamond, the ASET image and its overall cut quality, he is surprised looking at the Idealscope that it is showing the good amount of red that it is. Red in Idealscope is desirable as it shows light coming out of the diamond back to the eye. The ASET is showing there is little positive activity concerning the light return of this diamond, much of it is leaking out of the stone and not bouncing back through the rock to your eye where you want it!

Concerning the ASET one would expect to see a reasonable amount of green which is usual with fancy shapes, you see more green in these than with rounds, a good amount of red which is evenly distributed throughout the diamond and a little blue which can aid contrast. If you compare this image to the example images I linked for you above, you will see where this radiant is not doing well in ASET particularly.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks all for the help. So the deep red is an indicator that it might show a bit dull? I have another ASET image coming in tomorrow hopefully so I'll post that soon.

Thanks again!
No, what Gary is saying is that the IS actually looks really good, but the ASET does not. They are not correlating with each other. We'll watch for the next ASET pic.

tap, good on the bump.
28.gif

EDIT, Miss L beat me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/20/2009 11:20:59 AM
Author: Ellen

Thanks all for the help. So the deep red is an indicator that it might show a bit dull? I have another ASET image coming in tomorrow hopefully so I''ll post that soon.

Thanks again!
No, what Gary is saying is that the IS actually looks really good, but the ASET does not. They are not correlating with each other. We''ll watch for the next ASET pic.

tap, good on the bump.
28.gif

EDIT, Miss L beat me.
31.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/20/2009 6:53:15 AM

good luck
Indeed, Garry, the ASET and IS do not correlate. The question is which one is correctly taken.

From experience, I know that photographing the ASET''s is really tricky, and I see other vendors struggling in doing it correctly.

Live long,

mrjonesandme

Rough_Rock
If it helps at all, this response was included in the email with the ASET and xray attached...

"I have attached an “Idealscope” or diamond x-ray but, I do want to explain that it really meant for round cuts, we have had success with some princess cuts as well but, fancy shapes are not typically put into such devices. The major labs have not issued cut grades for fancy shapes other than the AGS for princess cuts.

This is also the case with an ASET and in addition, we really do not like offering this particular image, the one we have is only a hand held model only so, there is some error in handling.

It has a very nice outline, there are no visible inclusions, and the stone does display brilliance."

Does that explain some of the inconsistencies?

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/21/2009 11:06:25 AM
If it helps at all, this response was included in the email with the ASET and xray attached...

''I have attached an “Idealscope” or diamond x-ray but, I do want to explain that it really meant for round cuts, we have had success with some princess cuts as well but, fancy shapes are not typically put into such devices. The major labs have not issued cut grades for fancy shapes other than the AGS for princess cuts.

This is also the case with an ASET and in addition, we really do not like offering this particular image, the one we have is only a hand held model only so, there is some error in handling.

It has a very nice outline, there are no visible inclusions, and the stone does display brilliance.''

Thanks!
ASET is best for fancy shapes, yes there could be room for error however the image to me looks as if the diamond shows definite leakage - if they could retake the image that could be useful.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 11:52:16 AM
Author: Lorelei

ASET is best for fancy shapes, yes there could be room for error however the image to me looks as if the diamond shows definite leakage - if they could retake the image that could be useful.
Yes. IS is best for rounds. Without a better ASET pic, I would pass myself.

tallchickbarbara

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 11:52:16 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 9/21/2009 11:06:25 AM

''I have attached an “Idealscope” or diamond x-ray but, I do want to explain that it really meant for round cuts, we have had success with some princess cuts as well but, fancy shapes are not typically put into such devices. The major labs have not issued cut grades for fancy shapes other than the AGS for princess cuts.

It has a very nice outline, there are no visible inclusions, and the stone does display brilliance.''

Thanks!
Hey Lorelei and all...

Just wanted to clarify what''s going on with the ASET image above. We only have a handheld ASET here that our customers can use during appointments and aren''t really set up to take ASET images and have them be 100% accurate. I''ve been working with Patrick Stout at the AGS and showing him the images that I''ve taken through the handheld and while quite a few have come out pretty good, some, not so good since we are taking them against a white lighted background which is going to show more white through the diamond (there are at least two other threads showing UD ASET images and you''ll see white in those as well. I''ve actually taken a picture, shown below, of our handheld and the light box that the images are taken in so that you can see why we reallly don''t offer ASET images or advertise that we do. We will always explain to the customer that we only have a handheld which will not show a completely accurate image, however sometimes the customer wants to see those anyway which is why you''ve seen a few of them posted here on the forum. We''re sort of doing a "makeshift" image because we have to hold the digital camera steady atop that teeny hole in the scope. It''s quite a sight.

I hope that helps for future posters as well. Thanks, guys.

DSCN7515.JPG

mrjonesandme

Rough_Rock
Experts,

I don''t doubt the validity of what Barbara is saying. It could very well be the fact that they are using a hand held ASET device that would explain the poor ASET image. However, I''m hesitant to make such a large purchase with so many variables involved. What do you all think? Would another image be beneficial at all since it''s going to be from the same hand held device?

Also, are IS images with Radiants (fancy''s) completely useless or just not very accurate but can be a decent indicator?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
It may be worth waiting for another ASET photo. But what's the return policy for the stone? Sometimes the best thing to do -- especially if the stone has potential and is the size, cut, clarity, color you want -- is to order the stone, see it in real life under different lighting conditions, and return it if it's not what you want. It will also give you time to take it to an independent appraiser for evaluation, as well. And if you can find someone with an ASET tool, you can view the stone under the ASET yourself.

mrjonesandme

Rough_Rock
Ok, apparently other attempts at getting a better ASET image were not successful which is a little disheartening. They did send me two additional images along with a video of the diamond here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIEv8DqSONY

Image one...

UD_d1.jpg

mrjonesandme

Rough_Rock
Do the new pics or video help at all?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a suggestion, if there is an appraiser near you, you could maybe arrange for the diamond to be sent there so you can get the appraiser's opinion on the stone, plus see it for yourself. That way if the appraiser has ASET or other tools you could get more images on the diamond.

Appraiser tool here - https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Radiants are tricky shapes, in my opinion this is quite a pretty stone from the photos so maybe if you wanted to take a look in person and get another opinion the above might be an option.

Thanks for the reply Barbara! Understood, and it is appreciated very much that you are providing images!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello Barbara,

Would you mind sharing your setup for taking the Idealscope-pics? There is a problem of correlation, and I do not think that it is due to the white background in the ASET. We might be able to give you some good tips.

Live long,

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/22/2009 6:48:52 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
Hello Barbara,

Would you mind sharing your setup for taking the Idealscope-pics? There is a problem of correlation, and I do not think that it is due to the white background in the ASET. We might be able to give you some good tips.

Live long,
Ditto
off line if you prefer.
I would also like to see a photo of the inside of that ASET and what type of camera you use?
Have you seen http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.taking_IS_photos.asp

The main problem is the ASET and the ideal-scope images appear to show totally different info.
Someone is using the term Xray = GOG - but that is not the case - so if you are taking a photo thru an ideal-scope then I know what that should show.
I am unfamiliar with the AGS ASET you showed and would like to learn more about it. I do not have a lot of faith in AGS''s instruments (but i am biased).

tallchickbarbara

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 7:37:19 AM

Date: 9/22/2009 6:48:52 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
Hello Barbara,

Live long,
Ditto
off line if you prefer.
I would also like to see a photo of the inside of that ASET and what type of camera you use?
Have you seen http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.taking_IS_photos.asp

The main problem is the ASET and the ideal-scope images appear to show totally different info.
Someone is using the term Xray = GOG - but that is not the case - so if you are taking a photo thru an ideal-scope then I know what that should show.
I am unfamiliar with the AGS ASET you showed and would like to learn more about it. I do not have a lot of faith in AGS''s instruments (but i am biased).
Hi Gary -

Here''s the ASET we have... the link takes you to the AGS site and shows what it looks like with and without the cover.

http://www.americangemsociety.org/newhandheldaset.htm

Our camera is a basic digital. A Nikon Coolpix 5600, flash off, macro on. It''s the same camera we use for all of our images. Nothing changes on it - not even the set up. It''s always flash off, and always on macro. But, it''s always being held by hand over the eye hole.

The ASET was placed over the diamond, over the floor of the light box which is also lighted. White light is coming up through the diamond from the floor of the box.

The video was taken under a microscope with no additional light other than that of the microscope.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about the IS?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results