shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on these two Aquamarines

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
C4B85ED9-14EE-4A93-A507-C179D6C0A553.jpeg D21CB1CD-0315-4A85-87C7-DF4EEB3F8FE8.jpeg ADB487B7-F692-422E-8466-7EDEB6B3B1E9.jpeg ECF7FE4F-F6B1-4FC6-8F1B-F17F57F94CE5.jpeg i am looking at these two but really don’t know what to look for I like the colour the triangular one is being sold as a Santa Maria stone

Could anyone share their thoughts?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert, and I hope they will pop in with their wisdom soon enough, however, both stones appear to have a massive window, and would pass for that reason alone.

DK :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @dk168 : the window (the see trough area) in both stones are huge. I see more window than colour and personally I would pass on both

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much @dk168 and @Acinom I needed people with more expertise than me to advise me and I appreciate it will forgo both

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although aquamarine has low RI and will show tilt window easily, these are too large for my comfort.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
52D65681-17F3-4AC2-BA22-1C407B5B8D5B.jpeg
BAB1903D-0829-4064-8950-D47A4AA13188.jpeg 847E44C0-1057-40FB-BC89-9D4E07E92298.jpeg
81E6375C-05D6-43C5-9F5B-8445067D772C.jpeg
He did have this one too but the colour is perhaps not as strong?

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I should mention that last one isn’t heated.

The guy selling them collected gems for awhile and is clearing out his collection

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heating doesn’t matter much in aquamarine.
Yes, the colour is paler.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aquamarine is all about the colour. Most aquamarine is heated to improve colour (make it less greenish and more blue) and it’s done at a low temperature (only 400 degrees C) so it’s not easy to detect. There actually isn’t too much price difference between heated and unheated.
The biggest thing is to be sure it is Aquamarine, lots of blue topaz and synthetic Spinel is sold as Aquamarine so buy from a reputable vendor.
Aquamarines are fairly “clean” gems so it’s best to buy one without flaws to the naked eye. Cut is important. Most aquamarine you’ll find will have a “window” and the pale body colour means it’s easy to see through the gem to your finger underneath, some people hate this and prefer a modern, precision fancy cut that means “no window”.
The bluer the colour the higher the price. A deep blue aka Santa Marie can sell for x3 the price of a similar size pale blue/ green one.
Aquamarines are found in large crystals so huge gems aka 50 carats plus aren’t “rare” and unlike other gems where as size increases the per carat price increases (is a 1 carat Ruby is $3,000 a carat= $3,000 but a 2 carat Ruby is $5,000 a carat ie $10,000) the per carat price is the same.
And ask any vendor, if you’re buying sight unseen, to photograph on a white background in both natural light as well as inside light so you can properly assess colour. Also only buy from a vendor who will accept a return for full refund if the gem isn’t as expected when you get to see it in person.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 thank you so much for that very detailed response I am going to follow the advice on there.

I actually like the colour of unheated aquamarine gems that green sea foam colour but will make sure I get one from a trustworthy source.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
All other things being equal, there is no price difference between a heated aquamarine and an unheated one. Heating burns off the green, and therefore produces a more blue stone, which sells for more than had the stone not been heated. People don't heat stones to lower their value.

Here is a starting point on Aquamarine color.

AquamarineColor.png

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
@lovedogs thanks I was actually looking at a few things from that vendor. I think I found him through the pinned post of vendors

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I am actually crushing on the zircons on the mastecut site

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DW and I have been looking for an aqua with good color for a long time, it's not easy because almost all of them have windows. Usually the bigger the stone, the bigger the window. :eek2:

Also you have to be careful of the depth, to get better color some of the stones are cut really deep, often too deep for a ring.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Yep, it’s hard to find a good aqua, even though a bad or ok aqua is pretty easy to find. Santa Maria is a good locale for prime aquas, but beware of vendors using that deceptively (some will use that term to describe color even though the stone did not originate there, others will use that to trump up the cost, others will just lie outright and claim the stone originated there, etc.).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F6B4FF4E-605D-4A2F-A75A-501CCEA2F402.jpeg 58EBB432-1FFF-4741-AFFF-84E713F28BD0.jpeg An aquamarine was on my list for over 15 years! I finally “scored” one. It’s my preferred green / blue colour, it has a window that I don’t mind. Smaller gems need a stronger colour for it to be noticeable. But this one is a big stone, probably 40ct and very deep.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 that is one seriously impressive ring! Gorgeous

Yes I am sure half the ones I have seen labelled Santa Maria are using it to define the colour. I have no idea how to make sure it really does come from that region and if it did it’s probably out of my budget anyway.

Probably picking a stone I like the look of from a reputable vendor is the best way to go.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't fuss over a Santa Maria origin. If you find a good one at the right price, grab it, no matter where it's from.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 that is one seriously impressive ring! Gorgeous

Yes I am sure half the ones I have seen labelled Santa Maria are using it to define the colour. I have no idea how to make sure it really does come from that region and if it did it’s probably out of my budget anyway.

Probably picking a stone I like the look of from a reputable vendor is the best way to go.
Thank you.
Yes, don’t get “drawn in” by a colour label and associated premium, buy what you love. 100 years ago it was the green blues that were “the best” and most expensive, now the “best” is supposedly the deeper clear Blue Santa Maria gems.
Personally, in that shade, I think they look too much like Blue Topaz which is a much cheaper and more common gem. A sea green/blue Aqua is more distinctive in my opinion.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also make sure I buy from a reputable dealer who knows his/her sources. There is extremely convincing synthetic material out there. It is also important to note that some irradiated dark material will fade in color over time. It is often that “Santa Maria” color that is so coveted.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I am more concerned I will choose something poorly cut as I have no clue at all as you can see. I will stick with the people most recommended on here hopefully then I will be safe when I buy something

DLee

Rough_Rock
I don't know much about aquamarines at all. But I hate windows in ANY gemstones & so I bought the one with the smallest window. After reading Bron357's post, I am even happier with my purchase.:appl:.

Does anyone know if there is any literature on aquas?TIA. IMG-20181231-WA0009.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357

Please advise if the colour is stable in heated aquamarines. Thank you.

And what a lovely blue aquamarine @DLee

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F6B4FF4E-605D-4A2F-A75A-501CCEA2F402.jpeg 58EBB432-1FFF-4741-AFFF-84E713F28BD0.jpeg An aquamarine was on my list for over 15 years! I finally “scored” one. It’s my preferred green / blue colour, it has a window that I don’t mind. Smaller gems need a stronger colour for it to be noticeable. But this one is a big stone, probably 40ct and very deep.
Now that is my dream aqua-color, cut, size and setting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:!!!!!!!!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ChaiK
Colour of heated Aqua is stable
Colour of irradiated Aqua isn’t.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@ChaiK
Colour of heated Aqua is stable
Colour of irradiated Aqua isn’t.

Thank you, Chrono. I recall a vendor from Bangkok telling me some aquamarines had been irradiated. Like topaz, then. And he did say it would be difficult to check for irradiation on aquamarines.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Chrono. I recall a vendor from Bangkok telling me some aquamarines had been irradiated. Like topaz, then. And he did say it would be difficult to check for irradiation on aquamarines.
The vendor is correct. Unlike Topaz, irradiated aquamarine isn’t stable and is difficult to detect.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you.
Yes, don’t get “drawn in” by a colour label and associated premium, buy what you love. 100 years ago it was the green blues that were “the best” and most expensive, now the “best” is supposedly the deeper clear Blue Santa Maria gems.
Personally, in that shade, I think they look too much like Blue Topaz which is a much cheaper and more common gem. A sea green/blue Aqua is more distinctive in my opinion.
@Bron357 DW has been questioning why we were looking for an aqua, and I just realized you hit the nail on the head. Why chase a blue aqua when there are other stones in similar shades of blue that are more available, and don't have the window issue? Your preferred sea green/blue color is growing on me, but I bet a good one is even harder to find than a blue. :((

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results