shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on specific diamond & feather/edge question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

billc

Rough_Rock
Hi all. Like many before me, I''ve had the fortune of finding this website and learning TONS about diamonds. I truly want to thank you all for the time and advice you''ve provided. You''ve helped turn a daunting process into something much less scary and (dare I say it) almost enjoyable. All that said, here''s my question:

I''m seriously considering the following diamond, but wanted to get your thoughts on it before taking the plunge. Here''s the description:

-Round Brilliant
-GIA Cert
-1.74 carat
-Clarity: VS2
-Color: G
-Measurements: 7.83 x 7.87 x 4.66 mm
-Depth: 59.4%
-Table: 59%
-Pavilion: 40.5 degrees
-Crown: 34.5 degrees
-Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
-Culet: None
-Polish: Very Good
-Symmetry: Very Good
-Price: $12,750

Again, it looks pretty good to me. HCA < 1. Pretty big table and not too deep (which I think should make it look bigger than the "average" diamond of similar weight). I would really appreciate your input, even if it''s a simple "Yep, looks like a good diamond and a good price".

One more thing, though the GIA report shows the diamond is table clean (VS2), there is a small feather that goes to the edge. Is this something to be concerned about? Could this cause the diamond to crack, chip, etc? Does this reduce the value of the stone?

Thanks for your input.
-Bill

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
In order to answer questions like this, send it to an expert like Dave Atlas or RockDoc (Bill Lieberum). They can give you an objective opinion on the entire characteristics of the stone before you buy it.

Regards,

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Go with Gary on this one. Have the diamond professionally checked prior to purchase. A feather going to the edge in the girdle area could be a potential hazard. Could also be perfectly safe too. Depends on size, location, internal, breaks the exterior edge, etc. Definitely something to be address by a professional evaluating the diamond live and in person.
2.gif

billc

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. Will definitely have it checked out by a professional.

Assuming the feather is not a problem, what do you think of the dimensions and price? I haven't seen it, so would appreciate your thoughts.

I can't believe I'm this close to buying a diamond (and getting engaged!!! ... assuming she says "yes").
-Bill

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results