shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on selling diamond to upgrade

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to come back and suggest a halo. My only hesitation was that a good halo setting can be expensive. I think that OP has a peg head setting, so I would personally look for a Stuller peg-head halo, that will be a great way to try a halo style on a smaller budget and use the current setting.
Otherwise, a halo can provide a great size increase.

One of my favorite comparisons - a friend’s 1ct halo vs my old 2.1ct Center stone.
1A325D31-1A26-49D8-BBBC-4A229CFA42D2.jpeg

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the above idea about the halo. That could be the perfect solution. However, if that is not the look you like, this is what I would do. I would buy a very inexpensive larger CZ ring and alternate wearing it with your current diamond. I would hold off on making a decision for a year.
I actually tried to find a CZ that looks like my ring and I couldn't find one with pave diamonds

bludiva

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually tried to find a CZ that looks like my ring and I couldn't find one with pave diamonds

Berricle has one

Wewechew

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was going to come back and suggest a halo. My only hesitation was that a good halo setting can be expensive. I think that OP has a peg head setting, so I would personally look for a Stuller peg-head halo, that will be a great way to try a halo style on a smaller budget and use the current setting.
Otherwise, a halo can provide a great size increase.

One of my favorite comparisons - a friend’s 1ct halo vs my old 2.1ct Center stone.
1A325D31-1A26-49D8-BBBC-4A229CFA42D2.jpeg
Wow.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a Stuller halo that I think is pretty awesome:

Capture999.PNG

This probably won't give the noticeable size bump like a halo, but the way it tapers and how thin it is in certain areas helps make a diamond look larger than it really is. Really like this one.

1571074987439.png

1571075014706.png

headlight

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I never thought of it this way! I always thought people go with synthetic to avoid the blood diamond issue. I also just don’t have a good grasp of the value of my own diamond. I figured that because it’s below a carat and sits on the cusp of a steep deep that it’s not all that valuable. I’m also used to comparing my diamond to the 2+ carats a lot of people on pricescope have. I rationalized selling my diamond because I feel like I might come off as being materialistic if I have 2 diamonds. And we actually don’t NEED to sell it to afford the synthetic, so I’m gonna talk to him about keeping it. I agree with everything you’re saying. Are there any articles out there so I can do some more reading about the impact the lab grown trend has on natural diamond value?
Who told you it’s “on the cusp of a steep deep”? That is just not true. And your color and clarity are extremely desirable and valuable. And look at the photo! Don’t get caught up in diamonds larger than yours. My 2ct E color is my 4th diamond, I got engaged 30 years ago, I’m 54. It’s been a journey to get to this point and you may have read in other posts where I talk about my huge regret of getting rid of my original 1.01ct diamond because I didn’t think it was large enough. That stone was D color. I was so stupid. Please learn from my mistake. There is not one person here that has a larger natural diamond that would suggest you get rid of your natural 90 pointer for a large lab grown. The “blood diamond issue” is not an issue. That has been rectified by the industry with a strict protocol to prevent this called the Kimberley Process. You may find this interesting about natural diamond https://realisadiamond.com/

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To add to what other people have said, I think the general consensus is that lab grown diamonds will continue to decrease in price over time.

There are some that think that lab grown diamonds will eventually be as cheap as synthetic sapphires or the like. I'm not sure if it's actually going to get to that level (a few dollars a carat) because lab grown diamonds do require a lot more energy to create than most other synthetics and there might be an effective lower bound on the amount of energy required. It's also not clear to me that our energy costs will go down. Energy costs could easily go up as coal is further phased out. But I think it's a safe bet that better processes and more competition will cause the prices to decline further in the short to medium term.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Please explain to me why you would even entertain the idea of selling something beautiful if value and getting something of very little value and in the meantime losing a lot of money. If it is for appearances sake, well your ring holds its own. If you want a flashy, big rock then why not save up to get into an upgrade program and enjoy the process of getting to your Ultimate goal eventually and in the meantime learn as much as you can about diamonds? A diamond like yours is already larger Than the average engagement stone around the world. Or if you really want a bigger diamond right off the bár then why not contribute to the expense and get the real thing? Also, you could consider going down in color and/or clarity. There are so many better options than what you are considering, in fact just about any other option is.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To add to what other people have said, I think the general consensus is that lab grown diamonds will continue to decrease in price over time.
Yup, That's one thing I can guarantee.

Op. If you gonna buy a lab grown just wait a couple of yrs and you will be able to buy twice the size at today's price.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Would a super blingy wedding band scratch this itch at all? Would that be an easier and more logical discussion since you do need a wedding band?

I think the halo setting could be a good suggestion, too. I also liked the idea someone said of maybe a "starter" diamond in an upgrade program like many ladies here have done. Maybe as a wedding necklace as someone here was posting about yesterday?

In the meantime, please don't take this advice any other way than good intentioned and excuse the many assumptions I'm making, but I think I'd get married before another upgrade. Think it through, let him come home, get settled in, and plan for possibly an anniversary upgrade. If I remember correctly, he was kind of stressed working through the diamond swapping issue before he left, right? And granted, I do not know your situation, but I promise you there will be things that come up in that first year of marriage that you would never expect. Or you realize you may want to buy things for your shared life together: Furniture, a more expensive dream wedding gown, a storm takes out a bunch of trees in your yard (:(), etc., etc.

You only live once and you should 100% be happy, but as you take this step together you of course want to consider the other person's happiness, too. It is a difficult balance. For him, too. Please just don't let someone else's bigger ring take away even a moment of joy from your future life together. At the end of the day, it is just a ring. (And yes, I have had to remind myself of this, too.)

My 2ct+ came at ~40 years old on a second marriage with a small wedding and I did compromise on specs. (I VS2) At the end of my first marriage, I wore a .908 in a setting just like yours that literally stopped everyone in their tracks. I got comments everywhere I went and I was in my mid-30s. Not sure where I am going with this, but I think my points are 1. Take your time to think through and get what you really want even if it means waiting a bit longer, and 2. Pricescope is not the real world for 99.9% of people. Photos of my ring on PS make it look 3x the "real-life" size. My arrows don't hit everyone in the face in every type of lighting. Sometimes it's dirty or needs a polish. In my mind, PS is like the social media equivalent for our diamonds. They are being presented in their best light. (pardon the pun)

I wish you guys the best and will keep you both in my prayers for his safe return! And fwiw, I think your ring is absolutely stunning and it is awesome you were finally able to get that jeweler to come through for you! So glad you stuck to your guns. I would probably have to keep that stone forever just for the victory lap of it all, haha.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, if you decide to entertain the halo idea, here are some peg style halo that can work with your current setting.

My personal favories are these two:

The double halo reminds me of a T&Co soleste design that I have always adored. I have a pic of one with an appx 1ct Center stone:

B6028F65-D781-4AF8-A71E-AFE070D5A864.jpeg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding value: debeers is selling their lightbox lab diamonds for $800 a carat. They are marketing these stones as purely disposable and for fashion (not fine) jewelry. Keep your stone. It’s gorgeous.

Buy a one carat lightbox diamond for $800.

You can get a larger real one later. As a push present perhaps.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Buy a one carat lightbox diamond for $800.
DeBeers is not selling 1 carat stones for $800. They are selling approximately 1 carat total weight pendants and earrings set in silver or 10k for $800/carat plus $100 for the mounting and have someone else reset the stones. You can't buy loose stones at all and the bigish ones are mostly 'out of stock', even if you want to eat the mounting. That's not the same thing.

Ibrakeforpossums

Rough_Rock
Your ring is, as you stated, gorgeous, and it's a lovely size on your hand. And it sounds like your intended is a lovely man. Give yourself time to appreciate what you have, which is considerable, and plan on a five-year upgrade.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man made/lab diamonds are set to dramatically decrease in price over the next two years because a few large companies are going to make them and flood the market with them. What this means is that buying one right now is a REALLY bad investment and a stupid thing to do.

Keep your diamond it will hold a lot more of it's value than a man made diamond ever will. Look on Loupetroop and DiamondBistro you can buy a decent CZ or a decent quality diamond simulant preloved (moissanite, asha, just to name a few) for a fraction of the price you are talking. Then you could have both a real diamond and something else that isn't expensive that is larger as well.

Show your other half this post, and let him fully understand why purchasing a man made diamond right now is a really poor choice.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Man made/lab diamonds are set to dramatically decrease in price over the next two years because a few large companies are going to make them and flood the market with them. What this means is that buying one right now is a REALLY bad investment and a stupid thing to do.

Keep your diamond it will hold a lot more of it's value than a man made diamond ever will. Look on Loupetroop and DiamondBistro you can buy a decent CZ or a decent quality diamond simulant preloved (moissanite, asha, just to name a few) for a fraction of the price you are talking. Then you could have both a real diamond and something else that isn't expensive that is larger as well.

Show your other half this post, and let him fully understand why purchasing a man made diamond right now is a really poor choice.
People have been saying this for years. It hasn’t happened yet. They have dropped in price a bit, but not even close to what so many projected. They have hurt the natural diamond trade though, prices of natural diamonds has fallen as well. A simple search of recent articles published on the topic shows that the market for diamonds is simply changing. There are lab grown vendors who are starting to offer upgrade programs as well. I don’t think we will be having the same debate years from now.

ETA: I don’t begrudge anyone who decides to purchase a mined diamond. People should research and make an informed decision on what they prefer.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People have been saying this for years. It hasn’t happened yet. They have dropped in price a bit, but not even close to what so many projected. They have hurt the natural diamond trade though, prices of natural diamonds has fallen as well.
Soon or later MMD will sell for about 15% of mined diamonds with the same 4 Cs.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
There is nothing like the real thing. I mean, would you rather carry a HUGE bouquet of fake flowers on your wedding day, or one, single, perfect fragrant rose?

btw, my husband proposed over twenty years ago with a little .48 that I got compliments on all the time. It wasn't even a perfect cut...but it sparkled across the room. I upgraded and now regret it because of the sentimental value.

hang in there...your ring is really really pretty.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People have been saying this for years. It hasn’t happened yet. They have dropped in price a bit, but not even close to what so many projected. They have hurt the natural diamond trade though, prices of natural diamonds has fallen as well. A simple search of recent articles published on the topic shows that the market for diamonds is simply changing. There are lab grown vendors who are starting to offer upgrade programs as well. I don’t think we will be having the same debate years from now.

ETA: I don’t begrudge anyone who decides to purchase a mined diamond. People should research and make an informed decision on what they prefer.
Rubbish, the technology has changed and DeBeers, a large Indian company and several large Chinese companies are all going to ramp up production, so in the next two years the price is expected to totally crash. All of the diamond industry is talking about the mass production of man made diamonds.

I'm not saying don't buy one if that is what you are into, but yes, anyone that rushes to buy one right now, when they are still at a premium price is an idiot - unless for some strange reason you are happy to lose money on them.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soon or later MMD will sell for about 15% of mined diamonds with the same 4 Cs.
So at the moment when MMDs are at a all time high the diamond experts have been quoted as saying over the next 2 to 5 years expect them to devalue in price up to 80% or more.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So at the moment when MMDs are at a all time high the diamond experts have been quoted as saying over the next 2 to 5 years expect them to devalue in price up to 80% or more.
Yup, JMO. within the next 2 yrs a MMD will sell for 80-85% less than a mined diamond with the same 4Cs.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubbish, the technology has changed and DeBeers, a large Indian company and several large Chinese companies are all going to ramp up production, so in the next two years the price is expected to totally crash. All of the diamond industry is talking about the mass production of man made diamonds.
They are making these by the truck load.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup, JMO. within the next 2 yrs a MMD will sell for 80-85% less than a mined diamond with the same 4Cs.
I'd be willing to bet against this. We've been seeing that prediction for at least 10 years since the synthetics have become a serious product and it hasn't happened yet. Why not? The problem is that the process of manufacturing what people here call a diamond involves a lot more than a grower. There are cutters, shippers, labs, retailers, wholesalers, tax collectors, setters, designers, and even appraisers. There are a lot of fingers in this other than the miners. They're not even the biggest players (usually). These costs are all the same price for both synthetics and mined. The only people being replaced by the factories are the mining companies.

Last edited:

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
It’s like Mikimoto. There will be cheap, poor quality man made diamonds available for a low cost and there will be a range of prices as you go up in quality. Diamonds aren’t even the rarest gem stone, DeBeers has always kept the supply low to feed into their marketing campaign. Diamonds weren’t even highly sought after for engagement rings until DeBeers started telling people they should be. And I like diamonds! Obviously I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t, but I don’t see it as representative of anything or more meaningful than a piece of jewelry. My husband could have proposed with a rock from the side of the road and I would have said yes.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.