Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity
  • Pricescope Upgrade/Maintenance Is Complete.

We still have a few things to iron out. If you see any bugs, issues or have any concerns, let us know here in this discussion.

Advice on selling diamond to upgrade

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! Some of you might remember me from my whirlwind adventure exchanging a poorly cut diamond for GIA 517284825 (.90 carat, G, VS1, 35/40.8 ). While the diamond I have now is absolutely gorgeous, my fiancé and I want to sell my current diamond and upgrade to a 1.3 carat. We aren’t going to upgrade in the usual sense; we are going to go with an unmentionable unless we can get a decent deal on an earth grown 1.3 carat that’s 4.5k or below (which I know isn’t possible). The caveat to selling my diamond is that I don’t have the original GIA report. Should we send my diamond in to have it recertified or just sell it as is? The number is inscribed on the girdle, but if having the report will get us more money for the diamond I think it might be worth doing. We’re hoping to get at least $2,500 for my current stone.

A905C7F4-8900-4EC6-9B9A-2523AD68B35D.jpeg

Last edited:

Kaycee2018

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Did you not get the original GIA report when you got the diamond? If not, perhaps you can go back to the jeweler and request it. I can't get the GIA No. you posted to load a report. Have you checked the girdle under a loupe to confirm the GIA No.?

Wewechew

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could post it as is and see if there interest without the certificate. I would bet it would hold slightly more value if you had it re-certified.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried bringing that report number up and No Match was found. Are you sure you gave the right report number?

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
Did you not get the original GIA report when you got the diamond? If not, perhaps you can go back to the jeweler and request it. I can't get the GIA No. you posted to load a report. Have you checked the girdle under a loupe to confirm the GIA No.?
724D90A0-C92E-41EC-9035-C1898ACEB65A.jpeg

Kaycee2018

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow! Great shot! I can find the inscriptions, but there is no way I could actually get a photo. I read your post history with this diamond. Did the jeweler not give you the original GIA report? It sounds like you had some issues with a report matching a diamond, etc. with this jeweler. Given that history, if they didn't give you the original GIA report, I think it might be best to send the diamond to GIA to confirm it is in fact the same stone.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked the GIA website and they no longer issue duplicate certificates, but since it previously was graded by GIA you could submit it for an "Update" examination. You'd have to unmount the diamond and send it in loose. If GIA cannot match the stone to its original report, they'd issue a new report. It looks like a brand-new report would be $78 and if GIA was able to do the Update report the price would be 75% of the $78 cost. Personally I think it would be worth the time and cost to obtain a hard copy certificate.

https://www.gia.edu/gem-lab-service/diamond-grading-report-service
Update

Submit your diamond to be re-graded based on its current condition. Update Service can accompany Add-On Services such as Sealing or Inscription where a re-evaluation of the diamond is required prior to performing the Add-On Service.

Submission Criteria

• Loose natural
  • Colored or D-to-Z diamonds
  • Diamond must be submitted along with its original GIA report, if available
Service Restrictions
If an item cannot be matched to the original GIA report, it will be resubmitted for grading, a new report will be issued and full grading report fees will be charged. Not available for Diamond Focus Report.

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
So let me understand this: You are selling your current, beautiful, natural diamond to get something a little larger in a lab grown?
If we can get a good price for it, yes. Otherwise I’ll have it mounted so I can wear it as a necklace. A diamond is a diamond. I don’t really mind if it’s natural or synthetic. We can’t afford to buy a 1.3 earth grown diamond and I hate having a small diamond so much.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
If we can get a good price for it, yes. Otherwise I’ll have it mounted so I can wear it as a necklace. A diamond is a diamond. I don’t really mind if it’s natural or synthetic. We can’t afford to buy a 1.3 earth grown diamond and I hate having a small diamond so much.
I feel exactly the same way. I would definitely pay the $78 to have an original GIA, I would imagine you’ll make at least that and probably more to be able to sell it as certified. I also love the pendant idea!

Is the $4500 budget just for the diamond? Make sure to post in the Lab Grown section once you’re shopping for your new stone. =)2

ETA: Just saw your most recent post. You can easily find what you want for $4–4500. Possibly larger if your setting will allow for it.

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to be blunt, but why don’t you just get a cheaper synthetic and keep your beautiful diamond at the same time? I personally think that it is an unwise decision to sell a gorgeous, natural diamond for a lab-made stone as I think that we will see much pricing fluctuations in the upcoming years.
If you still want to proceed with an upgrade, I’d reach out to WF, HPD and IDJ and see if they will be interested in taking your stone.

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
I am going to be blunt, but why don’t you just get a cheaper synthetic and keep your beautiful diamond at the same time? I personally think that it is an unwise decision to sell a gorgeous, natural diamond for a lab-made stone as I think that we will see much pricing fluctuations in the upcoming years.
If you still want to proceed with an upgrade, I’d reach out to WF, HPD and IDJ and see if they will be interested in taking your stone.
I absolutely agree with you but I need help talking my fiancé into it.

Wewechew

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This. Put this diamond in a pendent, and get a cheaper synthetic for your ring.

headlight

Brilliant_Rock
That strikes me as really troubling. If it’s merely due to cost, that you need to sell the natural diamond to fund the synthetic, then I think it goes back to it being a really bad decision on multiple levels to get rid of a beautiful, natural diamond for a synthetic. You said a diamond is a diamond... no, actually, a synthetic is not the same. The synthetic is not a rare treasure from nature, as it’s value illustrates. I can understand if you chose to go with a lab grown if you didn’t already have a natural diamond, but to get one and use it to replace the valuable natural one you have is a huge mistake I think you will come to regret. It strikes me odd that your fiancé would want you to do away with a valuable natural diamond, as well. That in and of itself is troubling. I really strongly urge you to reconsider this. You have a gorgeous ring and I think you are making a huge sacrifice to do away with a real diamond for less than half a carat increase in size. Hold on to the one you have and enjoy it and in time when it may be more affordable to upgrade to a larger natural diamond do it at that time. So many people would love to have a beautiful ring like yours, that is essentially a 1 carat diamond, a very respectable size, the most common size... and in a gorgeous fancy mounting above that. But they are not as fortunate to be able to get something like that so they go for the lab grown. You do have the real thing. Please reconsider.

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
That strikes me as really troubling. If it’s merely due to cost, that you need to sell the natural diamond to fund the synthetic, then I think it goes back to it being a really bad decision on multiple levels to get rid of a beautiful, natural diamond for a synthetic. You said a diamond is a diamond... no, actually, a synthetic is not the same. The synthetic is not a rare treasure from nature, as it’s value illustrates. I can understand if you chose to go with a lab grown if you didn’t already have a natural diamond, but to get one and use it to replace the valuable natural one you have is a huge mistake I think you will come to regret. It strikes me odd that your fiancé would want you to do away with a valuable natural diamond, as well. That in and of itself is troubling. I really strongly urge you to reconsider this. You have a gorgeous ring and I think you are making a huge sacrifice to do away with a real diamond for less than half a carat increase in size. Hold on to the one you have and enjoy it and in time when it may be more affordable to upgrade to a larger natural diamond do it at that time. So many people would love to have a beautiful ring like yours, that is essentially a 1 carat diamond, a very respectable size, the most common size... and in a gorgeous fancy mounting above that. But they are not as fortunate to be able to get something like that so they go for the lab grown. You do have the real thing. Please reconsider.
I guess I never thought of it this way! I always thought people go with synthetic to avoid the blood diamond issue. I also just don’t have a good grasp of the value of my own diamond. I figured that because it’s below a carat and sits on the cusp of a steep deep that it’s not all that valuable. I’m also used to comparing my diamond to the 2+ carats a lot of people on pricescope have. I rationalized selling my diamond because I feel like I might come off as being materialistic if I have 2 diamonds. And we actually don’t NEED to sell it to afford the synthetic, so I’m gonna talk to him about keeping it. I agree with everything you’re saying. Are there any articles out there so I can do some more reading about the impact the lab grown trend has on natural diamond value?

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to piggy-back on @headlight ’s post but take it a few steps further ... and I’ll apologize now for the ‘tough love’ that you didn’t ask for, but I’m going to point it out anyway because - in your shoes - I’d want to at least have awareness of these points if I didn’t consider them before making this decision.

... my fiancé and I want to sell my current diamond and upgrade to a 1.3 carat.
We can’t afford to buy a 1.3 earth grown diamond and I hate having a small diamond so much.
I also just don’t have a good grasp of the value of my own diamond.
It appears to me: 1) that your fiancé is not actually on board with your plan; 2) that you don’t like the size/want bigger (which I also recall from your prior threads); and, 3) this doesn’t appear to be a situation where - perhaps - you wanted a more ‘ethical’ choice, or this would have been addressed when you swapped the first diamond for the second one. All of which are entirely your prerogative; however ...

You stated in one of your earlier threads that your FI paid $6k for the initial diamond purchase and $7300 including the setting; and, you swapped diamonds at least once. You’re now looking to sell the current diamond and buy a lab stone. Assuming you reuse your current setting, and if you got $2500 for your current diamond and bought a lab stone, regardless of what you/he pays for that lab stone, that is a minimum of $3,500 of your/your fiancé’s hard-earned money forever down the drain, gone, wasted with only a lab stone to show for it that will never be re-sellable for anywhere close to what you pay for the new stone alone, and for which can not be ‘traded in’ toward any upgrade.

As others have noted, you have a beautiful, natural, earth-mined diamond that IS a nice size (in many cases, larger & better than many start with); it appears to be well-cut, and has nice specs in terms of color & clarity. My sense is that your Fiancé has a very good idea about the ‘value’ of your current diamond (even if he isn’t ‘cut-specs savvy’), and doesn’t want to throw more money away only to have a lab stone to show for the thousands of dollars he (presumably) worked for & spent on this ring for you. I’m not advocating that “the little lady listen to her man”, but I think I’d be very considerate of and respect my partner’s feelings on this and back off the idea unless you foot the original and/or future bill for the diamond yourself and/or he was comfortable/agreeable without being ‘talked into it’. The engagement ring represents BOTH your & his relationship, so while you “have to wear it”, his feelings should be respected & factor into any decision and without pressure or excessive convincing.

Lastly, your posts contain various criteria that I think really need to be re-evaluated, prioritized and balanced with whatever budget you/your fiancé agree on ... for whatever path you decide. Good luck! :wavey:

moneymeister

Brilliant_Rock
Your diamond ring is beautiful. I'll jump in here and agree that synthetic diamonds are a "hot" new commodity. A bigger lab-grown stone may be tempting but supply and demand will soon catch up, just like man-made sapphire vs earth mined sapphire. You can buy a visually identical sapphire stone for 80 bucks (synth) or 4,000 bucks with GIA certification. People are currently very enamored with the idea of a big affordable diamond. And for some people with a tight budget, it's a great choice.

But once China cranks up and floods the market with synthetic diamonds, that 4,000 stone (today's price) you are considering may become as commonplace as a CZ and almost as cheap. I don't have a crystal ball, but that's my best guess. It all comes down to supply and demand.

I would wear my beautiful .90 and just wait for a while.

FYI, I just bought a .82 myself for a 2nd e-ring. I could have bought a larger synthetic diamond (I am a PSer!) but in time, I feel I would regret that decision when the market stabilizes.

I get it, some folks on here have AMAZING stones. And while some clearly have the means to start big, many of the people with those big 2 carat stones have been trading up for years.

I wish you the best luck!

StephanieLynn

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just going to chime in because I did the exact thing you are talking about. For our 10th anniversary bought a 1.01 G VVS2 princess cut then after seeing all the gorgeous moissy rings decided to sell it and get a moissy. I basically took a 50% loss on the diamond and got the moissy only to discover it wasn't my jam and discovered too late that I could have gotten a really gorgeous old cut diamond in an antique ring for what I paid for that princess. Hindsight right?

So now I have no princess diamond and no moissy because I sold it, I have acquired some gorgeous pieces though including that antique diamond but it took an enormous financial loss to get to this point.

Just make sure you really think this through, there is a mind clean issue for some, even though something has the exact composition as a diamond YOU will know it is not earth made and that MAY bother you down the line. Also do look into colored stones because you might find something you like there. Above all just really take your time and consider all the options.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As others noted, the lab grown diamond pricing structure is shifting. I wouldn't be dumping good money to chase bad money personally.

Also being a guy I can tell you that I would be frustrated with my fiance to be two upgrades into a diamond and lost thousands of dollars to "upgrade" to a fake diamond before I said I do. Yes, I'm aware they aren't truly fake and are lab grown but to friends and family it's real or fake.

The fact you have to talk him into this makes me believe you two need to have some honest conversations. Just as you'd expect him to be open minded to your idea, you need to be open minded to his reasoning for NOT wanting to change.

Just my 2 cents and with inflation it's not really worth that.

Mamabean

Ideal_Rock
I don’t think anyone has mentioned this so sorry for repeating if it was mentioned ...but what about a different setting with a diamond halo? It will significantly increase your finger coverage. You can also bezel it with a beautiful design instead of diamonds...but...I do think the diamond halo will give you the extra sparkle you are looking for. I would go to a jewelry store that has nice well cut diamonds and try on their halo designs and see if you like it. I agree I would think long and hard about selling your natural diamond to go up in that small increment. You can get that in a diamond halo...

bludiva

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t think anyone has mentioned this so sorry for repeating if it was mentioned ...but what about a different setting with a diamond halo? It will significantly increase your finger coverage. You can also bezel it with a beautiful design instead of diamonds...but...I do think the diamond halo will give you the extra sparkle you are looking for. I would go to a jewelry store that has nice well cut diamonds and try on their halo designs and see if you like it. I agree I would think long and hard about selling your natural diamond to go up in that small increment. You can get that in a diamond halo...
+1 on the halo idea. I tried on a .9 in a halo that was wayy blingier than my 9mm solitaire...people in the store kept commenting "that's a big look" may be worth checking out a few halo settings.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:clap: I would totally go this route in OP’s shoes before selling that diamond.

OdetteOdile

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the above idea about the halo. That could be the perfect solution. However, if that is not the look you like, this is what I would do. I would buy a very inexpensive larger CZ ring and alternate wearing it with your current diamond. I would hold off on making a decision for a year.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.