shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Purchasing 1ct LG Diamond

gamerkonks

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I need some help with purchasing a Diamond.
I'm looking for a Lab grown, around 1ct. My priority is the cut / light performance.
From my research online, it seems like the optimal parameters are the following.
Table range: 54-57%
Depth range: 61-62.5%
Crown angle: 34°-35°
Pavilion depth: 40.6-41%
I'm based in Sydney and currently in discussions with Cerrone, which seem like a fairly reputable jeweler.
But the diamonds they are recommending to me have a table closer to 60%.
They have been telling me that a larger table (around 60%) is better, and that having both table and depth around 60% is their recommendation.
They also said that their supplier doesn't really have anything that match my parameters.
I'm not sure who their supplier is, so I'm unable to check what they have available.
I'm wondering how much of this is true and how much of this is just trying to sell diamonds that are cut for size, rather than light performance.
At the moment they're getting a couple of diamonds in for me to look at, but I'm not sure how to objectively judge the light performance in store as I don't have an Idealscope or ASET or a diploma in Gemology.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you able to purchase online? You can probably get a better cut diamond (and likely better price as well) by looking on RareCarat.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put the suggested measurements into rarecaret and find a nice diamond. Most people on here do not prefer a 60/60 diamond. If that’s all they have of course that’s what they will tell you to buy!

gamerkonks

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that.
I've just found out about the 60/60 cut.
Looks like these diamonds are cut for maximum brilliance and understanding the inverse relationship between fire and brilliance, this would sacrifice on fire, which I do not want to do.
I think I'll let them know I prefer a Tolkowsky cut rather than a 60/60 and see what they come up with.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I would take some your time finding the right stone. Being recommended a 60/60 stone is a bit odd. Also keep an eye on price. Compare what they quote you for a stone versus what you can get online out of the US (Aussie here also).

I understand you may have reservations committing to a stone you haven't seen and the possible hassle with returns, so you may not buy from OS, but you should be able to get Cerrone's very very best price if you have some reference points to bargain with.

gamerkonks

Rough_Rock
I would take some your time finding the right stone. Being recommended a 60/60 stone is a bit odd. Also keep an eye on price. Compare what they quote you for a stone versus what you can get online out of the US (Aussie here also).

I understand you may have reservations committing to a stone you haven't seen and the possible hassle with returns, so you may not buy from OS, but you should be able to get Cerrone's very very best price if you have some reference points to bargain with.

Thanks, this is helpful. Although because the price they're quoting me is including a setting, I'm not 100% sure how much of the price is for the setting and how much is for the stone.
The setting is a basic 18k white gold knife edge solitaire (Tiffany setting) and they did say the setting itself would be around $2000.

So far they've quoted me the following (All in AUD, Incl. GST).
F/VS2 1.00ct $6200
D/VS2 1.00ct $6800
F/VS2 1.03ct $6300
E/VS2 1.03ct $6900

Which seem like quite a premium (~45%) if I subtract $2000 and then compare to similar diamonds on other Australian online sites (e.g. Novita, MoiMoi).

I want to avoid buying overseas, and I would like a setting handmade, rather than cast.
What also attracted me to Cerrone was the lifetime clean / polish / checking wear on setting.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Ouch. Yes, there's a bit of a mark-up there but you do have the assurance of seeing the stone in person and minus the stress of bringing it in to the country.

The price of the setting is fair though. James Allen has a basic Tiffany style 6-prong at 1500 AUD and that's less their current discount and it would be cast.

If you're not fully set on Cerrone, see if Bert can help? I'm her Instagram fangirl and were I in Sydney I would have approached her. She sources and happily uses lab stones. Good luck!

gamerkonks

Rough_Rock
If you're not fully set on Cerrone, see if Bert can help? I'm her Instagram fangirl and were I in Sydney I would have approached her. She sources and happily uses lab stones. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm not 100% set on Cerrone as long as I can beautiful stone and a quality setting.
I think I'll contact Bert, thanks!

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Ouch. Yes, there's a bit of a mark-up there but you do have the assurance of seeing the stone in person and minus the stress of bringing it in to the country.

The price of the setting is fair though. James Allen has a basic Tiffany style 6-prong at 1500 AUD and that's less their current discount and it would be cast.

Oh wow! I just stalked Berts page, and her stuff Is phenomenal! Great tip :)

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow! I just stalked Berts page, and her stuff Is phenomenal! Great tip :)

Thank you! I've my eye on her stuff for ages but I was lucky to find a great Perth jeweller in the end. She's getting a name for herself so I reckon it'll get harder to book her for a job soon :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results