shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on pearl pendant purchase

Techno

Rough_Rock
Hi Fellow Pearl Fans,

I recently lost my beloved pearl pendant and looking for a replacement. I'm looking at various options but there is one on ebay for white south sea pearl with rose overtone measured: 15.8 x 14.9mm supposely AA+ to AAA (very high luster, semibaroque/drop shape) with 14k gold enhancer bail that looks very interesting but listing for almost $1000.

1. Does the price seem egregious to you as well? I see online other pearls listing for much lower albeit most have obvious dent flaws. This one has no super obvious dent flaws but some superficial surface flaws mostly in the back. What is a reasonable price range? I am also nervous about spending this much on a pearl from Ebay.

2. It comes with enhancer bail. I am looking to mostly wear this as pendant but thought the option of being able to clip on to a chain of pearls in the future may be nice. Will enhancer mechanism interfere with everyday wear? If I do get a white round pearl necklace in the future, will the rose overtone not fit/contrast with the rest of the pearl (if it doesn't have rose overtone)?

3. If enhancer is not ideal, about how much is it to change to a bail setting?

4. size vs luster. Most places I've read online recommend to go for size, yet many pearl within my budget may have the size 14-15mm but usually not the supreme luster or vice versa, any recommendations on the best balance between the two?

Thank you all in advance!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Fellow Pearl Fans,

I recently lost my beloved pearl pendant and looking for a replacement. I'm looking at various options but there is one on ebay for white south sea pearl with rose overtone measured: 15.8 x 14.9mm supposely AA+ to AAA (very high luster, semibaroque/drop shape) with 14k gold enhancer bail that looks very interesting but listing for almost $1000.

1. Does the price seem egregious to you as well? I see online other pearls listing for much lower albeit most have obvious dent flaws. This one has no super obvious dent flaws but some superficial surface flaws mostly in the back. What is a reasonable price range? I am also nervous about spending this much on a pearl from Ebay.

2. It comes with enhancer bail. I am looking to mostly wear this as pendant but thought the option of being able to clip on to a chain of pearls in the future may be nice. Will enhancer mechanism interfere with everyday wear? If I do get a white round pearl necklace in the future, will the rose overtone not fit/contrast with the rest of the pearl (if it doesn't have rose overtone)?

3. If enhancer is not ideal, about how much is it to change to a bail setting?

4. size vs luster. Most places I've read online recommend to go for size, yet many pearl within my budget may have the size 14-15mm but usually not the supreme luster or vice versa, any recommendations on the best balance between the two?

Thank you all in advance!

It would help if you posted the listing. eBay is terrible if you don’t know what you are buying, as there are many items falsely advertised, and it will be impossible to advise you without knowing exactly what you are looking at.

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It would be helpful if you would post more information on the specific listing. I've not bought pearls off of ebay. Can it be returned if you are unhappy?

Regarding your bullet #4, I think luster is very important and I would rather have a smaller pearl with great luster.

Techno

Rough_Rock
Good points,

Here's the link, I like the bail alot.

I am also considering
This, bigger round pearl, which I understand is more valuable but not sure about luster and like the bail less.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've had alot of success with "pearl society". The descriptions are accurate and the prices are appropriate.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The pearl looks good , the bail is 18k or 14kt depending on the title or the description- the price is 448.00USD . The diamonds are going to be teeny as the TCW is .08 . That is the size that I have in my various earring findings but as a single stone..and it's small. That said ,if it's exactly as described, the price isn't outrageous as it's a large clean WSS with good lustre and a gold bail.

I seem to recall that several regulars here and on other forums have bought successfully from them.

Personally I avoid eBay for pearls/gems etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results