shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on looking for a purple sapphire..

purplelover31

Rough_Rock
I've been looking for a round bluish purple sapphire with a diameter of ~7mm for a few months now, but it seems like there aren't many out there. Are there any specific vendor's websites I should check often that might have such a stone? Also, I was hoping to spend about $1k on such a stone. Is this feasible or should I readjust my expectations? Any advice would be appreciated, I've never purchased a gemstone before.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, your search might take a while. Apart from purple sapphires being less common, they seem to mostly cut them as ovals or cushion shapes. So round can be tricky to find.
Are you set on round?
And the shade of blue /purple comes in countless variations.
Personally I would seek out the color I love rather than the shape.
On Etsy there is a seller called SapphirePalAustralia that has some lovely sapphires, including blue and purple in a round shape that seem well priced.
Hope you find your perfect sapphire soon.

purplelover31

Rough_Rock
I am set on the round shape because I already have a setting in mind that only works with round, but I don't mind waiting a few months. The color is probably going to be the other difficulty as I don't want it to be too light or too dark, but I've read that sometimes they end up being darker than you think in person . Thanks for the tip on etsy, I will check them out! :)

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade
DSCN7952.JPG

love purple sapphires

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been looking for a round bluish purple sapphire with a diameter of ~7mm for a few months now, but it seems like there aren't many out there. Are there any specific vendor's websites I should check often that might have such a stone? Also, I was hoping to spend about $1k on such a stone. Is this feasible or should I readjust my expectations? Any advice would be appreciated, I've never purchased a gemstone before.

Abraham of Exotic_gemstones has some purple rough available for a good deal. He does most of my gems and he’s excellent especially at round cuts. You may want to ask him if you’d like one, if you’re not too much in a hurry because he has a lot of orders right now. You can find him on insta @exotic_gemstones or Facebook as Abraham Gomez . Best of luck in your search!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gemobsessed, I got curious and checked out Abraham's Etsy and Facebook pages. Man, does he do nice work! I know that it wasn't for me, but thanks for sharing this resource :)

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gemobsessed, I got curious and checked out Abraham's Etsy and Facebook pages. Man, does he do nice work! I know that it wasn't for me, but thanks for sharing this resource :)

He’s great! You should reach out :)

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:D

Any luck?

purplelover31

Rough_Rock
What about this one

https://m.facebook.com/RiouxRocks/p...682141895156901/?type=3&source=48&__tn__=EH-R

It is technically a spinel (not a sapphire, which is probably helping drop the price). But I think it is lovely.

You could also contact Jeff Davies. This sounds like the kind of thing he could source.
It's not purple enough for me, but thanks for looking for me! I keep hearing about spinel but I don't know anyone with it. I want this stone for an engagement ring so I nerd something sturdy. Does spinel scratch?

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

voce

Ideal_Rock

purplelover31

Rough_Rock
@purplelover31 I know you wanted a purple sapphire...those are difficult to find in good shades. Have you ever thought about a purple garnet?

I saw this deep purple garnet that's 10.28ct with an AGL report and thought you might treat yourself to this while you search for your sapphire. At $1800 and certified I'd say it's a steal!

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...28-carat-purple-rhodolite-tanzania-agl-report

That is super gorgeous, but probably too big for my finger. I'm mostly set on a sapphire due to the hardness because I want this for a e-ring, but thanks for option!

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would pass on the gemsny sapphire. Do you see the flat round area in the center(the table), how dull it looks. I suspect this stone has a large window. If you saw this stone in your hand you would probably be able to see through it instead of light reflecting back at you. The stone once set would sparkle around the outside edges and be dull and lifeless in the center. Could you post a picture of a sapphire with the color that you are looking for. I can't decide if you want a violet sapphire or a violettish-blue sapphire. I am going to link a gorgeous blue purple spinel. Is this the kind of color that you are looking for or for a blue stone with a touch of purple?
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...carat-violet-spinel-recut-and-polished-by-dan...
Spinel is just below sapphire in hardness. It is suitable for an everyday ring, especially if you plan on haloing the stone. Could you post a picture of the setting that you are looking at? Depending on your setting you may be able to use a sapphire that is from 6.5 to 7.3mm in diameter. Also, keep in mind that colored stones are often cut deeper than diamonds. So be sure to ask for the depth of your potential sapphire when you find one that you are interested in.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 52

purplelover31

Rough_Rock
I would pass on the gemsny sapphire. Do you see the flat round area in the center(the table), how dull it looks. I suspect this stone has a large window. If you saw this stone in your hand you would probably be able to see through it instead of light reflecting back at you. The stone once set would sparkle around the outside edges and be dull and lifeless in the center. Could you post a picture of a sapphire with the color that you are looking for. I can't decide if you want a violet sapphire or a violettish-blue sapphire. I am going to link a gorgeous blue purple spinel. Is this the kind of color that you are looking for or for a blue stone with a touch of purple?
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...carat-violet-spinel-recut-and-polished-by-dan...
Spinel is just below sapphire in hardness. It is suitable for an everyday ring, especially if you plan on haloing the stone. Could you post a picture of the setting that you are looking at? Depending on your setting you may be able to use a sapphire that is from 6.5 to 7.3mm in diameter. Also, keep in mind that colored stones are often cut deeper than diamonds. So be sure to ask for the depth of your potential sapphire when you find one that you are interested in.

Thanks for your opinion, I did think it looked a bit off. I wasn't sure what the term was, but dull sounds right.

This is the setting I want: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...ench-cut-six-prong-engagement-ring-item-49518

As for the color I want more of a bluish violet kind of life this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/544866116/40-off-sale-with-free-limited-resizing?show_sold_out_detail=1

Although I'm sure of would be hard to get one with that exact intensity.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think that stone is windowed. It also looks a bit greyish to me ie. not as saturated in colour as some of the other sapphires already posted here.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very dark, visible inclusions, not dazzling.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results