shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on emerald ring

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
Seeing everyone’s beautiful emeralds got me wanting one myself, especially since emerald is my birthstone. TL’s posts have definitely been helpful in guiding my search for a starter emerald. I came across this emerald ring and wanted to get feedback, opinions, advice on it. It doesn’t have any AGL, GIA, etc certification but the vendor is one from the list of reference vendors. I know it looks really included and what has got me thinking about it is the glow in some of those hand photos. Thanks! :)

11954CCA-10AE-49BA-A7CB-A4EF849F4715.jpeg 1AB2E1FB-3D93-4486-B6A3-AB746DDEE891.jpeg 1E4E7D44-A544-4A25-A4B2-5BE72D260FCF.jpeg 4258D1C7-BFD1-42B2-BCA1-C1422AE2F518.jpeg 8F48BC05-B56F-4FC6-88A5-C00E579CB40E.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE that ring, and have been looking at it for a while. I much prefer the color on the IRL pics vs the ones on the vendor website. I trust that vendor and haven't heard anything bad about them, so I would strongly consider it if the price was right.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the kind words on the emerald posts. The thing is this, with any emerald you’re considering, it should be evaluated in natural diffused light. That is probably the type of lighting they’re most “boring” in. If the stone is beautiful or even pleasant in natural diffused lighting, then it will look a million times better in artificial lighting. You don’t want an emerald that is blah in one light source. It seems like some of the glowier photos have a strong light source on the stone.

It’s also extremely included, and while inclusions are generally accepted in emerald, you don’t want so many that the stone appears translucent instead of transparent or even semi-transparent. That means a stone with probably lots of filler, and it’s also probably more brittle. It could end up looking a whole lot worse over time.

Now I’m not sure if the price is very inexpensive, but even if it is, I rather save that money and get a better quality gem, even if it’s smaller.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
A while back, another member here has mentioned that the largest emerald currently being offered by the same vendor doesn't look as good to her IRL as those of the vendor glam. shoots.

If the seller has decent return policy and you get to see it before deciding it, it might work?

Have you seen many emeralds yourself and do you know what your like?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks very hazy in the pictures you posted.

1. Any chance of seeing it in person?
2. Make the sale absolutely dependent on a lab report confirming the treatment and level of treatment. It's impossible to figure out a fair pricing without knowing anything about the emerald.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks very hazy in the pictures you posted.

1. Any chance of seeing it in person?
2. Make the sale absolutely dependent on a lab report confirming the treatment and level of treatment. It's impossible to figure out a fair pricing without knowing anything about the emerald.
The lab report for that stone would be really expensive I think to determine treatment type and amount, as well as origin ( they’re saying it’s Columbian). Is a GIA full report much cheaper than AGL??

I figured out the vendor based on some comments above. The whole ring is very inexpensive for what it is. I think, based on the price, it’s probably a lower quality gem. I don’t know if it would be worth it to get the lab report in this case, especially if the OP had to eat the cost of it, if she didn’t like the outcome and/or if she doesn’t like the stone?

I personally would deal with a stone that already had a report.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see. I’m not sure who the vendor is. GIA might be cheaper than AGL for the full report. Personally, I’d keep looking. Too many unknowns and not worth the money to find out.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
thanks everyone for the advice! the emerald definitely is on the lower end of price. i do appreciate everyone’s thoughts that it might be better to hold out till the right one comes along. onto the next one! :razz:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm I think those glam shots look a little exaggerated... :think: Would be better to see a video IRL

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@fantapanda, are the last 2 shots yours or taken at the vendor's office?

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
@fantapanda, are the last 2 shots yours or taken at the vendor's office?

those are at the vendor’s office. i asked for more pictures from the vendor and they sent me those last 2 shots. no video sadly (though i asked for it).

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
those are at the vendor’s office. i asked for more pictures from the vendor and they sent me those last 2 shots. no video sadly (though i asked for it).

The emerald looked more blue from those shots to me. Do you like it enough to order it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results