shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on diamond studs

mojoriley

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. I've so enjoyed the insights, education and lovely pictures over the years!

After finally realizing that husband is not going to do it, I have decided to start a "big girl" jewelry collection. First on my list is a pair of diamond studs (And a watch. Oh, and possibly a tennis bracelet. Lol.) but I need some guidance if you guys will indulge me :)

I see on BN that a pair of 1.5 ctw studs would run me about $4k (give or take). If I wanted to ensure better specs, then a pair of slightly bigger matched diamonds would be upwards of $6k for 1.8 ctw in ideal cut. But as I search for single diamonds at that same grade I see that I can get them for starting at around $2500 per stone, which is obviously more cost effective and might let me get more bang for the buck.

I do realize that it's not that easy finding a good match for earrings, but I wonder what my best bet is here? Do I buy the diamonds separately and then have them set, or do I just suck it up and buy a prematched pair? Or does it make sense to just buy the premade pairs for the cheapest price?

I am thinking I might go to a J for color and Si1 for clarity, but shoot for ideal cut. Does this make sense, or should I aim for a higher color grade and go for excellent or VG cuts?

Any insight or advice would be truly appreciated!

Britta

Rough_Rock
I also recently bought myself studs to start my ‘big girl’ jewelry collection. I bought mine from Whiteflash. You can actually search for matched pairs on their site. At the time I was looking they did not have any in the size I wanted but you can put in a request for what you’re looking for. Within a day or two, Brittany had emailed me with possible options and I ended up purchasing them. They are so gorgeous. I opted for eye clean SI1 and I color. I definitely think you could go lower in color and it would be fine because mine look very white.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those stones you are seeing at $2500 are probably not well cut. I did a quick look and it looks like well cut stones in the .9 range are $2800+...mostly+.

You might want to work with a company that has easy upgrades. That way you can upgrade size/color as you wish. Whiteflash has the one of the
easiest upgrade policies. Plus these are ideal cut stones. Looks like you could get a pair of 1.5 ctw Ks for about $4215 + settings (starting at $195).
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3994056.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4062223.htm

Js
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4089765.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4089766.htm

mojoriley

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

I'm not sure what the rule is for mentioning competitors, but on BN, when I narrow down to .83-.98 ideal cut with excellent polish and symmetry in a J and above and Si1 and above, I'm getting prices starting at $2300. Is it that these stones have other issues? Can they be "ideal" cut but have other problems with the stones that I'm not seeing?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies!

I'm not sure what the rule is for mentioning competitors, but on BN, when I narrow down to .83-.98 ideal cut with excellent polish and symmetry in a J and above and Si1 and above, I'm getting prices starting at $2300. Is it that these stones have other issues? Can they be "ideal" cut but have other problems with the stones that I'm not seeing?

Do the stones actually have AGS grading reports that say they are ideal cut or is that just what BN is calling them? Some stones are better than others within the ideal range, believe it or not! And some are not ideal at all and just a label a vendor applies. I'd never buy a preset pair of studs. You'll get better quality and often a better match choosing the loose stones.

Mine are from Whiteflash and they have the best upgrade policy. However, if you want to buy from BN, here are the measurements to be safely within the ideal range in GIA Excellent cut stones. I'd keep diameter to very close to overlapping. Weight is not as important to match as diameter is. So it's okay to look at .74-.76 ct, for example, while matching diameters (and within the other measurements below).

Table: 54-57
Depth: 60-62.3
Crown angle: 34-35.0
Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @diamondseeker2006 stated, "Ideal" range is not good enough. You have to dig deeper into angle combos, depth, and table size.

mojoriley

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, this is all super helpful!

Should I really be aiming for ideal or would excellent be good enough for earrings?

Does anyone want to weigh in on what they think a reasonable or more accurate budget would be for the specs I mentioned? Am I looking at $6K or so?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
I apologize for others who have read my posts on this topic......
Call Lesley at BGD for matched pairs.
Done, done.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results