shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Choosing MMD

Orion26

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First time posting, but been lurking for awhile.

I'm looking at purchasing a MMD (1.19 - 1.5, F-D color, VS1 - VVVS1, ideal/excellent cut) for an engagement ring. I have a bit of a flexible budget. How concerned should I be that MMDs are graded only by IGI? How much higher should I shoot for color, clarity, etc. to ensure that I get a good quality diamond?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated (or links to potential diamonds you think meet my criteria).

Thanks!

matchalatte

Rough_Rock
If you’re worried about the IGI cert, I suggest you work with Jonathan from August Vintage Inc. If you ask, he’s happy to vet the stone you purchase before sending it out - he made an awesome video on mine and I found his expertise far more reliable and reassuring than the cert itself. :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems that some MMDs have a slight brown tint/'undertone' to them, so (IMHO) aiming for colourless (D-F) is a good way to minimise any chance of this.

My understanding is that IGI is also a little 'softer' on colour grading, so even if you get an F from IGI, it shouldn't be lower than a G or H from AGS/GIA at worst, so should therefore look white to most people :)

Clarity grading may also be a little softer at IGI, so IMO aiming for VS1 and above should help ensure a stone that is definitely eye-clean. If you use a vendor with good pictures / videos / clarity plots (if possible) it will help identify good potential options for consideration.

AVInc / Rhino is focused on excellent cut quality and customer service so I would recommend seeing what he has in stock. If nothing suits, drop him a line as he can source other inventory if needed :)

I don't have time today but if you are able to let us know your budget and what your priorities are (e.g. size over clarity / colour over size / etc.) we may be able to identify options!

Orion26

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses.

That's helpful, so I should assume one or maybe two color grade difference is possible with IGI? If purchasing a mined diamond, I was hoping to get a F-D, so I should probably play it safe and go with a D or E for MMD, as well as VVS.

Priorities, in order, would be:
1) Ideal cut (
2) color (D or E)
3) VVS
4) Size (1.2 - 1.5, as long as it meets the minimum I'm good--though ideally it'd be about 1.33).
5) hoping to stay under $10k, though could go higher for the right diamond.

Is this reasonable?

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
Go have a look at August vintage inc. you can have a stone custom cut to your exact specs for far less than you might think. For instance, I am gearing up to commission a six stone 3ctw ring for my mother. The stones themselves will only be $1800. There are Pictures of gorgeous pieces others have had made in these threads as well. Many have worked directly with AV’s bench and others with PS favorites such as David Klass with high end settings for their AV moissy. Really fine work, IMO. And without having to take a home equity loan to pay for a earth mined diamond is another added bonus!

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the responses.

That's helpful, so I should assume one or maybe two color grade difference is possible with IGI? If purchasing a mined diamond, I was hoping to get a F-D, so I should probably play it safe and go with a D or E for MMD, as well as VVS.

Priorities, in order, would be:
1) Ideal cut (
2) color (D or E)
3) VVS
4) Size (1.2 - 1.5, as long as it meets the minimum I'm good--though ideally it'd be about 1.33).
5) hoping to stay under $10k, though could go higher for the right diamond.

Is this reasonable?

First, look for type IIA mmd which are made through the CVD method. Second.. do contact Rhino at August Vintage and use his services. He won't steer you wrong. You're in the ballpark budgetwise.

Orion26

Rough_Rock
I see August Vintage and Rhino pop up a lot...any reason why he is the best? Is he affiliated with this site or anything?

Very good advice on the CVD method (just looked it up). Anything else I should be wary of or need to know before moving forward with a MMD?

Thanks for all your help so far!

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Rhino - has always had a very strong social media presence.. and is a trusted vendor here. Go look up his "Good Old Gold" and "August Vintage" youtube videos.

IolantheJane

Rough_Rock
I’m getting one from Brilliant Earth that is GCAL certified. It seems to be perhaps a little bit more thorough than the IGI certs, and on BE, you can filter your results for stones only graded by GCAL.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
First, look for type IIA mmd which are made through the CVD method.

Currently, most MMD are made via HPHT and can also be type IIa. Restricting to one technology limits access to potentially well-cut MMD, as well as vendors that strictly source from CVD manufacturers. From my own online searches and personal inquiries, many vendors source from multiple manufacturers (both CVD and HPHT).

According to this GIA report,
https://www.gia.edu/identifying-lab-grown-diamonds, “Synthetic diamonds correspond to types Ib, IIa, and IIb, all rare categories among natural diamonds.” Curious to understand preference for CVD IIa since most gem-quality lab-created diamonds are typeIIa (both via CVD and HPHT) and high-clarity (VVS-F) CVDs may be further HPHT color-treated to remove brown tint (not reported in grading certificates). https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/a2c3/f7e8cd950ece34a3017880e88936d0e9515f.pdf.

Also don’t recommend limiting search to strictly GCAL reports. I’ve come across many graded as “ideal” that are well outside PS-recommended parameters and whose “ASET-like” images clearly presented light leakage.

Personally, I’d work with a vendor that offers additional images (video, ideal-scope, ASET) with either the option to see in person before committing or a good return policy (30 days). Some MMD vendors even offer trade-in/upgrade and I’ve come across one that buys-back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results