carat
color
clarity

Advice on buying diamond ASET attached

aneesh120

Rough_Rock
Hi!
So i am out there looking for a diamond for the first time in my life

based on all the information i have gathered on this forum this is what i have found

Carat Weight: 0.90 carat
Color Grade: K
Clarity Grade: SI1
Its a GIA XXX
PROPORTIONS

Depth: 61.0 %
Table: 57 %
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.6°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted, 3.0%
Culet: None

Also here are the aset images:

IMG-20190206-WA0003.jpg IMG-20190206-WA0002.jpg

What do you think about this diamond..?

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
Neither the best, nor the worst ASET I’ve seen on PS. Still, I’ll try to dissect the various elements I’m familiar with, though the more veteran experts may correct me.

7EB5E79B-8C99-4F94-A215-535CFE4FD0D0.jpeg

Slight light leakage indicated with blue circles. The reason I’m saying slight is because these areas under the table are a light pink compared to adjacent areas of darker red shade. Yet, they’re not white, which would indicate major light leakage. Per the reference chart below, the diamond in question is definitely above average, but not quite excellent.
B8FC1C96-0F39-48EC-BF72-F4CD07F6D95C.jpeg

Slight brillianteering/digging indicated with yellow circle. More detailed info here:
https://www.pricescope.com/articles/visible_effects_painting_digging_superideal_diamonds

Potentially visible inclusions circled in green. Please confirm with vendor if the SI1 is eye clean and at what viewing distance (6, 8, 10 inches?). If it is not eye-clean, I’d pass.

Are you ok with a “warmer”, K-colored stone? It will present a definite hint of body-color, typically yellow. If you’re looking for a “white” stone, stick with I or better, especially if not seeking a true super-ideal. Super-ideals tend to face up whiter due to edge-edge brightness, as well as balanced cut proportions of the table, pavilion, and crown. If you’re interested in a super-ideal, the fine folks here can recommend some wonderful vendors. That’s not to say that you can’t find a GIAXXX unicorn.

Per the HCA, this diamond may still be a great performer (specs within PS recommended ranges, at least on paper). Can the vendor provide video under different lighting sources for visual confirmation?
BDA45D54-C846-4F2F-9616-F2A5B981E781.jpeg

To determine if it’s a winner though, we’ll probably need to know you’re budget to see if there are better diamonds out there. Also, your preferred size range. Won’t hurt to enlist the help of others to sift through various inventories while you’re considering this stone. Good to have options.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
32B26F8A-C7BC-48E3-BF37-D7D4A58FB3E1.jpeg Now I’ll try to dissect the H&A image. Similar to the ASET, neither best nor worst. Depending on what you are looking for though, may be room for improvement.

Black circles indicate lower girdle half lengths that vary and may be slightly greater than 80%. GIA rounds and averages, which means you may have some lower girdle halves cut anywhere between 77% and 82%.

Many of the Vs are not symmetrical in size and appear to tilt/cant away from center at the very tips.

Two half-hearts are smaller and not aligned, indicative of potential azimuth shift.

With a quick search, I think you’ll find ample discussions on hearts and arrows on PS, as well as multiple diamond education sites online. I’d recommend reading so you can determine for yourself what is passable. Again, this ultimately depends on if you’re seeking perfection, or close enough.

In the end, will this affect the diamond’s performance? Depends who you speak to as there are several schools of thought. If you are seeking an ideal H&A, try Brian Gavin, Crafted by Infinity, Whiteflash, Victor Canera, amongst a few other vendors this community can sift through for you.

Attachments

• F6E9092F-CC9E-4FA7-839B-4EE140956672.jpeg
    F6E9092F-CC9E-4FA7-839B-4EE140956672.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 5BF3FD28-9ED1-437C-8979-148A21DEE305.jpeg
    5BF3FD28-9ED1-437C-8979-148A21DEE305.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 7

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the cost on this stone? It would be a no go for me unless I was really trying to maximize a tight budget.

aneesh120

Rough_Rock
Athena10X Thank you for the in depth analysis of the stone.
1)I am not looking for a true H&A it was just provided by the vendor.
2)I am actually going to use this diamond for a single stud earring for myself and not a ring.
3) The vendor did state that it was an eye clean diamond but i don''t think that would matter much for a stud..? because the viewing distance is a bit far off.
i have asked them for video of the stone though.
4) The reason i went with a K color stone is because i have a tight budget and i think maybe color wont be that noticable for a stud.
do you think the K color would really make that much of a difference.

tyty333
The stone costs about 2500 USD.
would that be a good price..?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neither the best, nor the worst ASET I’ve seen on PS. Still, I’ll try to dissect the various elements I’m familiar with, though the more veteran experts may correct me.

7EB5E79B-8C99-4F94-A215-535CFE4FD0D0.jpeg

Slight light leakage indicated with blue circles. The reason I’m saying slight is because these areas under the table are a light pink compared to adjacent areas of darker red shade. Yet, they’re not white, which would indicate major light leakage. Per the reference chart below, the diamond in question is definitely above average, but not quite excellent.
B8FC1C96-0F39-48EC-BF72-F4CD07F6D95C.jpeg
Over bright back light and some tilt.
The ASET is better than it looks.
Your right about some painting digging

The under the table area of the above average and excellent ASETs on that chart is differences in back lighting and image editing as well as one has the blue cap removed.

The ASET gets a passing grade for a non-super-ideal.

Last edited:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Athena10X Thank you for the in depth analysis of the stone.
1)I am not looking for a true H&A it was just provided by the vendor.
2)I am actually going to use this diamond for a single stud earring for myself and not a ring.
3) The vendor did state that it was an eye clean diamond but i don''t think that would matter much for a stud..? because the viewing distance is a bit far off.
i have asked them for video of the stone though.
4) The reason i went with a K color stone is because i have a tight budget and i think maybe color wont be that noticable for a stud.
do you think the K color would really make that much of a difference.

tyty333
The stone costs about 2500 USD.
would that be a good price..?

The price is fair for the quality. I checked and there aren't other decent options around that price level. Based on the ASET I see, it'll be a decent performer.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
32B26F8A-C7BC-48E3-BF37-D7D4A58FB3E1.jpeg Now I’ll try to dissect the H&A image. Similar to the ASET, neither best nor worst. Depending on what you are looking for though, may be room for improvement.

Black circles indicate lower girdle half lengths that vary and may be slightly greater than 80%. GIA rounds and averages, which means you may have some lower girdle halves cut anywhere between 77% and 82%.

Many of the Vs are not symmetrical in size and appear to tilt/cant away from center at the very tips.

Two half-hearts are smaller and not aligned, indicative of potential azimuth shift.

With a quick search, I think you’ll find ample discussions on hearts and arrows on PS, as well as multiple diamond education sites online. I’d recommend reading so you can determine for yourself what is passable. Again, this ultimately depends on if you’re seeking perfection, or close enough.

In the end, will this affect the diamond’s performance? Depends who you speak to as there are several schools of thought. If you are seeking an ideal H&A, try Brian Gavin, Crafted by Infinity, Whiteflash, Victor Canera, amongst a few other vendors this community can sift through for you.
Some variation in the lower length is correct.
However the diamond scope and camera are not correctly aligned so a azimuth shift call can not be called.

Your conclusion of not the best nor worst is correct. Telling exactly where it falls is impossible from the information provided.

aneesh120

Rough_Rock
Just out of curiosity how do you know there is slight tilt in the ASET images..?
i looked at it closely and don't see anything.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just out of curiosity how do you know there is slight tilt in the ASET images..?
i looked at it closely and don't see anything.
Look at the arrow shafts under the table, the longer shaft points in the direction of tilt.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
Some variation in the lower length is correct.
However the diamond scope and camera are not correctly aligned so a azimuth shift call can not be called.

Your conclusion of not the best nor worst is correct. Telling exactly where it falls is impossible from the information provided.

@Karl_K , thank you for pointing out the errors in my assessment. Are there references of more reliable ASET images? Or even examples with strong backlighting, proper backlighting, black background, with/without the blue cap, etc.? It seems the ones I found online are themselves flawed.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K , thank you for pointing out the errors in my assessment. Are there references of more reliable ASET images? Or even examples with strong backlighting, proper backlighting, black background, with/without the blue cap, etc.? It seems the ones I found online are themselves flawed.
I find the same thing, serious flaws in the charts.
The big problem is many of them are put out by affiliate sites by people that do not understand the technology but borrow images from other sites and are incapable of telling image errors from diamond cut defects.

Covering every image error combination in a chart is impossible. the only sure way is to actually read the images.

Back lighting is both easy and hard, with an MRB anything the same brightness as the lightest area in the center circle of the stone is not meaningful leakage 1%-2%.
Both of these virtual diamonds are super ideal proportions with no lighting other than back lighting.
The exact pattern varies depending on the diamonds proportions.
When the center of the ASET is red its easy, when it is green its harder.
_38946.jpg backlightdcdefaultideal.jpg

The scopes are not expensive with a couple cz stones see all the set up issues in person.

aneesh120

Rough_Rock
UPDATE: just got videos and images from the vendor of the diamond.
IMG-20190206-WA0001.jpg

What do you guys think..?
what i am trying to accomplish here is to get the best sparkle,fire and size ratio for my budget
do you think this would be a decent choice.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
do you think this would be a decent choice.
Yes. Like I said, have someone else try finding you a better stone at the price.

However, you must be comfortable with the K color and the clarity (was stated to be eye clean).
Depending on why you're buying the diamond, I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of purchasing a Man Made Diamond for better color and clarity. If it's for fashion wear as in a single stud, then I'd consider the lab created diamond such as offered by Lightbox and reset it. Just throwing options here.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
Tough call. This particular diamond passed the ASET test per the experts, which implies better than decent light performance. So, it ultimately comes down to color and clarity. I’ll tackle the later first. Personally, I’m not a fan of the types of inclusions (especially black crystals), their quantity and placement. Yet, the vendor indicated “eye-clean”. You have to ask yourself is this “mind-clean” for the purposes of setting as a stud.

Now, color...have you seen a K-colored diamond in person? Will it be set in white or yellow prongs, which can potentially affect the face-up color of the stone? Are you color-sensitive? Regardless of your budget, do not try to convince yourself to settle for less. You will regret it later and it will be difficult to recoup the monies spent.

Realizing that you’re reaching out to the PS community to reaffirm your final decision, please also recognize we can only provide different perspectives. In the end, you need to be ok with your purchase. In your heart of hearts, if you’re not 100% in love with this diamond, don’t rush, keep looking.

Further, those whom differentiate a stud as fashion vs. an e-ring, may be less critical of some of the Cs, particularly color and clarity, while others will assess all diamonds, regardless of how worn, with equal criticism. In the end, it comes down to your budget and personal preference. Btw, if you are open to MMD, there is another PS forum that can provide ample advice and options.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
This particular diamond passed the ASET test per the experts, which implies better than decent light performance.

ASET is a rejection tool, not a selection tool. It can't guarantee performance, but based on the angles and decent, not excellent, symmetry and cut (has inconsistent heart clefts, not simply due to tilt), the diamond is a decent buy for the price, especially compared to other available stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results