shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on a Pear

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lowry_11

Rough_Rock
I'm in the market for a nice Pear shaped Diamond. She wants a pear and while it wouldn't be my first choice I won't be the one wearing it. I have found that Brick and Morter shops either don't carry them or have a very limited selection. So I turned to the net and found there are some good options out there. A close friend of mine used this forum and got some great advice so I'm hoping to do the same.

Important Info

Budget for main Stone: $4,000 - $6,000
Shape: Pear only
Carat Weight: around 1 desired
Cut: Very Good or above (just guessing here)
Clarity: Best I can get for the money

Specs Diamonds I'm looking at

Retailer: Blue Nile
Certified by GIA
Price: $6,865
Carat Weight: 1.01
Cut: Very Good
Color: F
Clarity: IF
Depth %: 65.1
Table %: 57%
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thick to very Thick, Faceted
Cutlet: None
Length/Width Ratio: 1.41

Retailer: JamesAllen
Shape: Pear
Carat weight: 1.07
Cut: Premium
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 58.5%
Table: 58.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Girdle: thin to thick faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.55*5.93*3.47
Ratio: 1.44

Please be very critical and blunt as I really want to get the best value for the money.

lowry_11

Rough_Rock
I forgot to mention the price on the jamesallen stone

Price: $6,210

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know a whole lot about pears, but I have to ask, is there a reason why you are picking IF diamonds and not ideal cuts? For example you could lessen the color a little as well as the clarity and get an idea cut pear for less http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VVS1-Ideal-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1096781.asp

That one seems to have a similar shape to the 2nd pear you linked to.

For me, pears are very much about what the person likes with the shape. More so than almost any other shape out there. Some like the more "squat" pears (like myself) while others like the longer thinner ones more like this one.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1219719.asp

Again I don''t know much about pears. I don''t own one as a diamond but only gemstones. It really did stand out to me though that you were IF for clarity vs the cut being idea. The difference with a VVS to an IF with the naked eye is impossible to tell. Personally I prefer VS1 and above for main stones in rings, but I can''t bring myself to pay the premium for an IF.

lowry_11

Rough_Rock
I picked IF because I''m really not sure what to get and thought it was the best. Sounds like I need to get a good balance rather than having one spec really high?

She likes the squat pears more than the longer ones. I''m guessing the l/w ratio determines which one is which but does anyone have numbers I should stay between to get one that is more of a Squat?

Here are the Specs of the new pear I''m looking at
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1219719.asp
Price: $5,690
Carat weight: 1.02
Cut: Ideal
Color: E
Clarity: VVS2
Depth: 63.8%
Table: 59.0%
Girdle:
Fluorescence: Medium blue
Measurements: 9.00*5.44*3.47
Ratio: 1.65

Lowry Pear1.jpg

lowry_11

Rough_Rock

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I totally understand why you got IF. It is the best, but when you think about what inclusions are by definition and you should feel comfortable sticking in the VS range and above. Right now I have a gorgeous (uncertified) vintage transitional cut diamond that is in the VVS1-VS1 range. Honestly I can hardly see anything at all with a loupe. The person selling it said VS1 and my jeweler rates it closer to a VVS1. I also have some VS2 and SI1 earrings that are eye clean and honestly without a loupe I can't tell you which is which. I prefer staying VS and above just because not all SIs are eyeclean, especially from the side. In earrings I don't mind SI1-SI2 because I cannot see the stones from the side really hence no need for prefection as long as they are eye clean.

I hope that all makes sense, but I wouldn't worry so much about the inclusions if you stay in VS and above. Same goes for color. In general I would stay with a G-H and above. Again it is the balance of what you want with your money.

As for ratios, like your girlfriend my pears have all been a little squat. The length to width ratio I like is about 1.5 or lower. I think the one you posted isn't quite so squat but right in the middle to me. I definitely wouldn't get much higher than that. A ratio of 2:1 would be very skinny IMO.

But that is a total taste thing. So there is no one who can really give you a number. She probably could easier than any of us.

Now for the settings. I personally have tried on the center one with a square stone. And it is absolutely beautiful! Personally I love a pear in a halo so I would be more likely to pick the 2nd or the 3rd. Not much help but that would be my thought... go for the halo and decide for yourself if you like the extra work on the side or not. I didn't try on that 3rd setting but it is fabulous in person as well from the profile.

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/24/2009 11:39:47 AM
Author:lowry_11
I'm in the market for a nice Pear shaped Diamond. She wants a pear and while it wouldn't be my first choice I won't be the one wearing it. I have found that Brick and Morter shops either don't carry them or have a very limited selection. So I turned to the net and found there are some good options out there. A close friend of mine used this forum and got some great advice so I'm hoping to do the same.

Important Info

Budget for main Stone: $4,000 - $6,000
Shape: Pear only
Carat Weight: around 1 desired
Cut: Very Good or above (just guessing here)
Clarity: Best I can get for the money

Specs Diamonds I'm looking at

Retailer: Blue Nile
Certified by GIA
Price: $6,865
Carat Weight: 1.01
Depth %: 65.1
Table %: 57%
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thick to very Thick, Faceted
Cutlet: None
Length/Width Ratio: 1.41

Please be very critical and blunt as I really want to get the best value for the money.
My comments might sound nasty, but they are not intended that way - merely to try to guide you in what I think would be the right direction.
1.gif

Number 1 is probably too deep and although it might have decent amounts of fire, it may have less-than-dazzling brightness. But the thick/very thick girdle might be causing an extra couple of % on the depth, in which case it could be very good.
Number 2 is probably too shallow and might suffer from a severe bowtie effect/obstruction, plus dullness. I wouldn't touch that one.

Have a look at the cut-grade-estimator from AGA. It also gives guidelines for the perfect pears.
http://gemappraisers.com/oldcutgrade.asp
Personally, I prefer pears with depths of 61% or more, since they seem to have less bowtie effect (to my eyes).

For stones around 1.5 length:width, I would suggest shortlisting stones with the following:

All pears:

Girdle: avoid extremely thin or extremely thick. When described as very thin, it can still be at risk of chipping.

Go for polish at least very good. It shows at least some pride in their work.

Go for symmetry at least good, but preferably very good. It gives a rough idea that the stone is reasonable symmetrical. Would you want a warped-looking pear?

Avoid being very close to a carat boundary (e.g. 1.00 or 1.01ct). I have three very nice pears (one fiery, one ideal and one brilliant). They vary from 1.13 to 1.16ct. It's a no-man's-land of carat weight, where there is no pressure on the cutter to attain the magic 1.00ct or the next magic weight of 1.25ct. Therefore, the cutter may concentrate more on beauty because he knows that he has plenty of weight to play with and most people won't be seeking an unusual weight, so the stone must be better-than-average in order to sell.

Fiery ideal pear:
Table 53-56%
Depth: 63-64.5%
Crown height: 15-16%

Tolkowsky-ideal-equivalent pear:
Table: 55-57%
Depth: 62-63.5%
Crown height: 13-15%

Brilliant ideal pear:
Table: 56-59%
Depth: 61-62.5%
Crown height: 12-13%

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
And moving onto colour/clarity....

F colour is a very good choice for a stone that will look completely colourless when mounted.

Flawless or VVS clarity guarantees eye clean, but is arguably "too good", since a VS clarity stone will cost much less, but should still have nothing visible to the eye.

Although VS2 is the "safe" point at which you're almost 100% guaranteed not to have any inclusions visible, there are many SI stones that are eye clean, or only visible at six inches, depending on the size, type, number, colour and location of the inclusions. But some of the worst SI2 stones have very obvious black spots visible as far as 18 inches.
14.gif

Pear shapes seem to be very good at hiding inclusions (but can show a little more colour than round diamonds). The three pears that I mentioned above are VS1, SI1 and SI2. Amazingly, all are eye clean and if I laid them out in front of you, you would not notice anything without a magnifying glass. But not all SI1 (and especially not all SI2 stones) are this good. Most online jewellers encourage you to ask them if a SI1 or lower stone is eye clean.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2009 1:59:28 PM
Author: FB.

My comments might sound nasty, but they are not intended that way - merely to try to guide you in what I think would be the right direction.
1.gif
LOL! I like this caveat!

NY Princess

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I can''t give you advice on your diamond selections but I will say that I have a F color, si2, 1.23 pear in a veraggio setting and it''s beautiful. You''ve got great taste and I''m sure your gf will be very pleased when it is all said and done.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This pear has potential but it is more on the longer thinner side if your GF prefers the chubbier shaped pear.

lowry_11

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I''m trying to take all your suggestions into account and find my pear (actually her pear).

Here are the items I tried to take into account.

1. Less than 1.5 l/w
2. Not in extreemly close to 1
3. Good balance of everything.

http://www.bluenile.com/pear-shaped-diamond-1-carat-or-less-very-good-cut-f-color-vvs1-clarity_LD01342956

Stock number: LD01342956
Price: $5,318
Carat weight: 0.92
Clarity: VVS1
Depth %: 60.8%
Table %: 56%
Girdle: Thin to Thick, Faceted
Measurements: 7.83 x 5.59 x 3.40 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.4

Feel free to send URL''s to better ones!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lowri, BN won't provide images for their diamonds and I wouldn't advise buying a pear without them as it is too much of a gamble. No way to judge the cut quality without a clear close up photo, and an ASET image. Also unless you particularly want high colour and clarity, you could lower both to G or H colour even and VS clarity, but this is down to personal preference.

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 2:55:30 AM
Author: lowry_11
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm trying to take all your suggestions into account and find my pear (actually her pear).

Here are the items I tried to take into account.

1. Less than 1.5 l/w
2. Not in extreemly close to 1
3. Good balance of everything.

http://www.bluenile.com/pear-shaped-diamond-1-carat-or-less-very-good-cut-f-color-vvs1-clarity_LD01342956

Stock number: LD01342956
Price: $5,318
Carat weight: 0.92
Clarity: VVS1
Depth %: 60.8%
Table %: 56%
Girdle: Thin to Thick, Faceted
Measurements: 7.83 x 5.59 x 3.40 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.4

Feel free to send URL's to better ones!!
The shallow depth has potential risks; a large bowtie, obstruction and reduced light return. While there is a chance of it beaing beautiful, the odds are not in your favour for it being one of the better pears. The small table may worsen the effect, since it imples a shallower crown angle than if the table was 58-59%.
The clarity of VVS1 also seems extravagant. Down to and including VS1 you won't see any inclusions. The vast majority of VS2 are also "eye clean".

vetrogrl

Rough_Rock
Hi! I just got engaged and have a pear shaped diamond. My best advice is for you to see the pears in person. Many reasons why: 1. Each pear is shaped differently- especially if your soon to be fiance has a pear shape preference( either short and squatty or long and skinny). 2. The bowtie effect...if the diamond is cut very well you will barely see it...so do not cut on the Cut of the pear...either "Excellent"- "very good" cut

My fiance and I looked for a few months for the right pear for me and what pleased my eyes. When we finally chose our jeweler, he didn''t have a big selection of pears, and he tried calling around to the other vendors in the Chicago area and they had a handful of pears-which were not very good. So he had to order in pears from New York...luckily we found "the one" pear that I loove :) Also- I was the very first person he had sold a pear to he said within the whole year! So defintely do your research but do not just go off the stats on paper...go look at the pears in person I cannot stress that enough.

Good Luck!

Heres a link to where i posted a couple pics of my new ring
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-take-me-off-the-list.131801/page-2

vetrogrl

Rough_Rock
One more thing...I would go with white gold...thought I wanted platinum as well, but my band is almost completely covered with diamonds...so theres no metal showing...except for a small part under my finger...white gold does not lose its shine...but you will have to get it touched up every once in a while with "Rhodium" or something in those terms because the metal will turn a slight yellowish color i was told-but its normal and can be fixed,...every metal has its pro''s and cons...as for Platinum...it dulls and its shine cannot be restored and it scratches easily...its personal preference..but I think that the white gold is a better fit especailly if you go with a setting that there is no metal that is visible...and alot less expensive...

lowry_11

Rough_Rock
Your ring is beautiful. I hope I can find a good one. I have had the same problem as you with the Pear in that I have checked LA, Las Vegas and Tampa and haven''t found much of a selection except for online. I''m still hopeing that someone will send a link to the perfect stone because I can''t seem to find one that is good.

lowry_11

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I''m feeling overwhelmed tonight. I have spent a lot of time on this and don''t have one picked out yet.

If you had $5000 to spend on a squat pear from a trusted online source which one would you buy?

lowry_11

Rough_Rock
I think I am going to buy this on tomorrow. Quick Question are the dark spots in the diamond photo inclusions or are they probably just caused by the light? Does anyone see any issues with this stone?

Pear Suggestion.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
A VS1 should have inclusions that cannot be seen without 10x and even then are very hard to find, so I am quite confident that the darkness in the photo is contrast not inclusions.

That pear looks really nice to me. Have you called and talked to JA about it? They will take more photos for you and also an ASET and give their in person opinion of it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask JA if they can provide an ASET image for this pear.

lowry_11

Rough_Rock
I Requested an ASET for this stone. What is an ASET?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It shows the quality of light return. I'm not really feeling this one, it seems leaky to me. The 1.02 E seems like a better stone to me, though it is not squatty.

lowry_11

Rough_Rock
Here is the ASET Image for this Pear. I have no idea if this is good or bad. What am I looking for in the photo? All Comments (about the diamond) are appriceated.

ASET_1195132.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know what a good ASET for a pear looks like, but there is a lot of green in that particular one, which I would associate with poor light return. I hope an expert will chime in, I would like to learn about this too.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bumping this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results