shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on 2.0ct diamond purchase

RX1990

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Long time lurker and first time poster here. First of all, I'd like to thank everyone in this community for their contributions and insightful discussions. I've spent countless hours reading through threads here the past few months as I prepare to make an engagement ring purchase of my own. All of this prep has made my browsing experience far more comfortable by having the confidence of having at least a good idea of what I am talking about with jewelers.

So here's the situation. I've been looking for a good 2.0 ct solitaire ring and keeping the budget sub $19K all in. I've been targeting the VS2 and G-H color as a sweet-spot to find some candidates. Also, I'm working with a diamond wholesaler (stellar reviews) to save on price by paying in cash.

I think I've honed in on one particular diamond after visiting him last weekend. Stats are below along with GIA report attached:
2.0 ct
H color
VS2 clarity
X / X / VG cut / polish / symmetry
No fluorescence
58% table. 60.9% depth. 33.5 crown angle. 40.8 pavilion angle -> HCA rating is 1

With the solitaire ring included, all-in price for me is just under $18k. I feel like this is a good deal given I am not purchasing online and have had the chance to actually examine the diamond, compare it to others, and get to work with the jeweler on the exact solitaire setting I want.

So what's the catch? Well - there is a small crystal in the heart of the diamond (see attached report). I noticed it while examining it with the loop...after that I couldn't seem to take my eye off it, even when looking at it under more natural light settings. I will say I have very good vision (was even told by other jewelers I visited that I have a "good eye" for minor imperfections). I've attached some pictures of the setting it's currently been placed on (not final).

My question here -- are small crystals in the table common for VS2 grade? Or, am I just getting a "lemon" when it comes to comparable diamonds with the VS2 rating? People talk about the myth of VS2 not always being "eye clean" and I am wondering if this is an example of that or just me freaking out psychologically because I can't take my eye off the crystal now. Based on your personal experience, would you say this is a decent/good/great deal, or should I continue searching? Do I need to move up to VS1 stones to be truly "satisfied"?

Thank you for your time and any insight you can provide!

View media item 122483View media item 122485View media item 122484View media item 122486

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi rx1990,

You have come to the right place for more help. PSers are usually more knowledgeable than the jewelers I've met in person.

Though i can't comment on the angles of your diamond in terms of light return...im still learning myself.....it does sound like you have a diamond that is bordering on a 60/60. Means more white light and less fire.

With regards to the crystal, it might be the grade making inclusion for this stone. It may be a case of once you see it, you can't unsee it. I would say the one thing that would bother me is that its right in the center of the table, where you can't conver it with a prong or something else. But ultimately its up to you how you feel about the stone and if you are happy with it.

RX1990

Rough_Rock
Thanks, metall. Appreciate your reply. I'll certainly look more into the light return performance of the diamond based on what you said. This is also an area for me where I am still learning a lot.

Regarding the crystal, I am going to go and look at the diamond again this weekend. I'm going to try and keep an open mind before taking a look at it to really see how noticeable the crystal really is. I agree regarding the location. Will also use the trip as an opportunity to see what else is currently available in the jeweler's inventory for similar size/quality diamonds.

Certainly would appreciate additional thoughts from others on this!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results