shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed - sapphire for Princess Di style ring

TorxT10

Rough_Rock
Hi folks!

A big thank you to all the knowledgeable people posting in this forum - being new to gemstones, I feel I've already learned a lot reading the valuable advice given here. But, seeing as how hard it is to find high quality gemstones I'm still confused and would appreciate some help.

The goal is a Princess Di style engagement ring.
Center sapphire:
Oval, approx. 7x9 mm
royal blue
Prefer unheated, but heated is ok too
If possible: a stone from Sri Lanka
Budget $7000 (plus $2000 or so for the setting)

So, the first and basic question is: Buy the gemstone separately from a gem cutter and have it set by a jeweler, or buy the complete ring?
I have been looking at the offerings from local jewelers (Cleveland area) and online (James Allen, Blue Nile, etc). The brick-and-mortar jewelry stores have been very disappointing, all the sapphires looked like poor quality to me (and in some cases, the settings too).

Buying the gem first seems like the best way to ensure to get a high quality sapphire... For someone who really knows what they are doing. Alas I'm far from that and am unsure if that's is the right thing to do.
It seems to be a more safe option to buy from an online retailer due to their return policy. Of the ones I looked at I like James Allen best because you can get a pretty good look at the sapphire - while many seem to be poor quality there seem to be some nice ones.

What's the thing to do? Keep looking and buy from a jeweler, buy online, or go the hard way and buy the gemstone separately?

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your search. I looked at so many different avenues when looking for mine but ended up with an eBay ring I fell in love with. I tried a few ordering online stones but the color was always different when I got it and ended up shipping them back. I didn’t have a lot of luck with local Jewelers and I don’t care for big box stores. Many PS’rs can help you find what you’re looking for!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There will be plenty of options in a 9 x 7 oval sapphire, it’s a nice “regular” size and usually equates to between 2.2 and 2.5 carats.
Royal Blue, especially vivid, is probably the most expensive blue colour to buy, but most Sri Laken sapphires are more a cornflower blue.
Most sapphires are heated, unheated is more expensive and in less supply so I would concentrate on the colour you love whether it’s heated or unheated.
You want a well cut sapphire, many will have a “window”, with a deeper colour gem this is less relevant but if the tone is light a “window” usually means you can see through it ie to the skin on your hand. Some people don’t mind this, others can’t stand it.
With the ring setting, 9 x 7 is also a regular size and you can find many online with a diamond halo (like Princess Di) however you might find that with better sized diamonds and better quality diamonds the price might be $3,000 plus. Certainly having a designer jeweller make you a ring will cost upwards of $3,000 for hand cast.
The other option to consider is “pre loved”. The oval blue sapphire set in a diamond halo is a classic and timeless style so you can find (eBay for eg) a nice selection of rings. Of course you want to be buying such a ring with appropriate documentation / lab reports - many jewellers, Gem traders who have bricks and mortar stores yet use eBay to show their wares to a worldwide buying audience. It’s perfectly safe to buy on eBay from a reputable business seller. Private sellers are more tricky because they might not D41D8500-4DEA-4124-839A-3C740D603A29.jpeg CCB8EADA-4241-4B37-8F4A-31E3AFDBB9A3.jpeg have the right documents or be sure what they are selling. Synthetic sapphires are everywhere and most ordinary folk wouldn’t even know it’s not natural.
Here’s two off ebay, one is $6,500 US, the other $8,100 or offer.
The more expensive one is a different style and round shape but that’s a GIA certified unheated Burmese sapphire in Platinium - so quality plus. It’s also a true royal blue. Nice.

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
Hi there

Is there a special occasion or some reason that you are looking for this ring? I think that your motivation will determine the route you take. Personally, I feel that there are many pros on this forum that would be able to help you find a loose stone and get it set. This would be a very special (but probably more expensive) custom piece. You'd have complete control over the stone and setting/vendor etc. Finding the exact piece and having the setting fabricated takes time so this route isn't great if you are in a rush. In my own experience, it took us 5 months to find the right sapphire and we haven't yet had it set - although it will probably take another 4 weeks once we do. There are many people on this forum that would be able to make great suggestions of vendors. We had a great experience with Jeff White. I would recommend this route if you have a clear vision in your mind of what you want, are a perfectionist type person and are also patient :)

If you want better value, as others have suggested preloved or already made could be better. I would always make sure you get the right documents and the vendor has a good return policy.

Either way there are many great folks here on PS that would love to help you. And subsequently swoon over whatever you pick!

vik84

Rough_Rock
Contact Gary at FineWaterGems, he can usually find a Sri Lankan stone you'll like. Especially if you're ok with a heated stone.

TorxT10

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone! Some really good advice there - From what I gather it would probably be best to go with a custom piece, either looking for a loose stone first (with the help of you great people here), or find a reputable jeweler who will find one and set it for me - will possibly take a little longer and cost a bit more, but I'd rather spend some extra time and money than end up with a 'meh' quality ring in the end.

The 'vision' is quite clear as to what the finished ring should be (not least since the indended receiver of the ring has some pretty clear ideas of what it should be, which I'm really glad for! =)2).

This picture is pretty close:
Screenshot 2018-12-13 at 8.06.08 PM.png
(from https://www.mooresjewellers.com/products/moores-jewellers-lady-di-style-sapphire-diamond-ring)

To be honest I would have thought it would be easier to find something in this style which, as someone has pointed out, is a very classic design - but surprisingly it's not that easy to find! In the few cases where I've seen a similar design I've beem disappointed with the quality, esp. of the sapphire. That's why I ended up here, after all. :)

torontocatlady, that's an amazing story - wishing you all the best for finishing your ring!

lovedogs - that one piece you linked for 22k is truly amazing! Enormous, but stunning all the same.

Thanks all for your time! I will continue the search...

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff Davies does nice settings for reasonable prices, so if you like that stone of his, it’s worth reaching out to get a quote on the whole ring as you’d want it, and see how far it goes over the total budget.

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
I bought my sapphire separately and had it set by a jeweler here in the Seattle area. It's 3.9 ct and approximately 10x8mm. The diamonds are 0.1 ct each. I found that I was happier controlling each of the variables compared to what I was seeing "on the shelf".

HTH!

_38751.jpg
IMG_2155.jpg

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats! Did you get a cert with the stone? It's beautiful on your hand!

-C4C

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
No cert on my Princess Di sapphire (the other two in the "family" photo are certed). I bought the oval from a family friend who owns sapphire mines in Thailand and didn't bother with the certing process.

Congrats! Did you get a cert with the stone? It's beautiful on your hand!

-C4C

TorxT10

Rough_Rock
I bought my sapphire separately and had it set by a jeweler here in the Seattle area. It's 3.9 ct and approximately 10x8mm. The diamonds are 0.1 ct each. I found that I was happier controlling each of the variables compared to what I was seeing "on the shelf".

Beautiful!

@TorxT10 - https://www.leibish.com/rings-jewelry/royal-vivid-blue-sapphire-diamond-diana-ring-27636

These look like CADs, but maybe they can send you photos/video of the stone so you can look for zoning and windows.

That one looks interesting too - yes those are renderings so maybe they don't have the complete ring yet and are making it to order? Anyway, I'll ask them for more details. Thx for the link!

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/109ct-blue-oval-sapphire-ring-r8264

This was posted in the other thread. It’s smaller but beautiful and well priced!

Beautiful also! A tiny bit smaller than what I am looking for, otherwise I'd get that one in no time.

Ok, I looked around some more and I think the way to go is to buy the sapphire separately and then have it set.
What are the opinions on these two sapphires that were posted earlier?

https://jefferydavies.com/gemstones/sapphire/mj11409-sapphire-3-68ct-lotus/
Stunning to look at - the cut seems to be asymmetrical though. Is that an issue? The effect is great to be sure...

https://rogerdery.com/gems/?page=/product/1801040
A very different cut than the 1st one, and the color does not look as lively - or is that just the lighting?

Thanks again for all the help - you are all great!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my humble opinion the colour of the Jeff Davies one is much nicer than the Roger Dery one, but neither are “royal blue”.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Jeff Davies sapphire has been on my radar for a while now. It's larger than I want, too far above my budget and not the shape I want (I prefer round in a blue sapphire). But that color is to die for, in my opinion. :love:

Reactions: AV_

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with Bron that the JD stone looks a tad bit purple in that pic, and Roger’s looks more pale.

There have been some threads a while back where people got blue sapphire’s from Roger and the pics they posted looked much more saturated than his. I’ve long wondered how his blues look IRL. Given that it’s listed as Sri Lankan as origin and they’re not known as the most saturated, well, who knows...

But, you’re in the cleveland area, and he’s over in royal oak MI, maybe a road trip is in order? ;-)

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on deciding the custom route!!! So fun! I agree with those above that have preferred the Jeff Davies one but it’s quite big and a chunky halo like the styles you have shown will increase the size even further. To some it may be too large for everyday wear so I would ask if you have tried on rings yet to get a feel for size?

Do you like this colour? The inspiration above was more of a royal blue than a cornflower like this one.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just noticed on his social media that Roger Dery is off to Sri Lanka next week for sourcing - if you’re still looking, maybe reach out before he goes?

TorxT10

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the long delay - it took some time to complete, but the result was well worth it!
It ended up being the Jeff Davies sapphire posted earlier (https://jefferydavies.com/gemstones/sapphire/mj11409-sapphire-3-68ct-lotus/), when I saw that stone first I just knew it was the one. Dealing with Jeff was absolutely great in every way, he also helped me design and make the setting. Couldn't be happier! As is the recipient of the ring. :)
Thanks to everyone here for the help and advice!! I would never have dared go the custom route, but now I'm so happy I did.

(apologies for the potato quality photos)
20190330_191413~2.jpg
20190331_160421~2.jpg
20190331_161247~2.jpg

Attachments

• 20190331_160429~2.jpg
    20190331_160429~2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20190331_160452~2.jpg
    20190331_160452~2.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess Diana’s/Kate’s ring is a very dark sapphire. I would be careful not to confuse tone with saturation. Just because a stone is dark in tone, does not mean it’s very saturated. I have to admit that while I like the style of that ring, I don’t care for the sapphire. Every single photo I’ve ever seen if it shows a dark, almost blackish stone, with little vivid blue color, The educated pricescopers on this board, I dare say, have much nicer sapphires and know their color. so I would look to them to identify some beautiful specimens. Just make sure it comes with a highly reputable lab report that rules out chemical color enhancement like diffusion.

ETA: I see you did end up with a sapphire! Well it’s much nicer than Diana’s!! Great job!! Beautiful!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the long delay - it took some time to complete, but the result was well worth it!
It ended up being the Jeff Davies sapphire posted earlier (https://jefferydavies.com/gemstones/sapphire/mj11409-sapphire-3-68ct-lotus/), when I saw that stone first I just knew it was the one. Dealing with Jeff was absolutely great in every way, he also helped me design and make the setting. Couldn't be happier! As is the recipient of the ring. :)
Thanks to everyone here for the help and advice!! I would never have dared go the custom route, but now I'm so happy I did.

(apologies for the potato quality photos)
20190331_160429~2.jpg 20190331_160452~2.jpg
20190331_161247~2.jpg

I think it’s actually better than the Duchess’s ring. :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results