shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed for engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mezza

Rough_Rock
Hiya,

Been lurking around, and noted that most of the threads discuss diamond sizes of at least 1ct. Is that the "norm" for an engagement ring?

I have only worked for about year since college, and thinking of getting a diamond of approx 0.7ct within these few months to surprise my GF. While i am sure that she will not "look down" on a 0.7ct, just want to make sure that the size of the diamond is within the "norm". I mean, i only get to propose once in my lifetime (hopefully... definitely), so don''t really want to mess things up.

The alternative is to wait a year more till my finances stabilize and obtain a more sizable diamond. But it seems to me that i''ll "lose the moment" if i wait that long.

Would appreciate some advice here...

Cheers!

vslover

Shiny_Rock
.7 is a great size! There lots of wonderful less-than-one carat diamonds on this site and they are beautiful!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

The average size for an engagement ring in the US is 0.30ct (read it somewhere, maybe it has changed recently)... so 0.70ct is great!!

Some people like the magic numberof 1 ct. because that is the size where in many social circles, a diamonds starts to look/sound "big". But you should buy what you can afford, your gf will love it, I'm sure. Have you talked about it with her? Do you know if she has a preference for a particular size? And don't forget, an ideal cut will knock most stones out of the water for sparkle and brilliance, so it will look bigger.

If you would like to have a larger stone for your lady one day, you can always buy from a place with an upgrade policy.

I attached a pic of my .80ct diamond on my size 6 hand so you can see how big it looks. A .70 ct will look about the same. I get compliments a lot from my social circle that it looks "big" and "sparkly", I think the ideal specs have a lot to do with these perceptions because the light it flashes really catches attention.

dreamerpicYY.JPG

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Definitely don''t ''lose the moment''!
Buy from the place like WF and GOG, that have an upgrade policy, (WF gives you the full cost of the original diamond towards the next one! not sure about GOG, becos I''m new) and promise her an upgrade for her fifth wedding anniversary!
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Pricescope can give a false idea of whats normal. The ladies who post here love their diamonds and will spend a lot of money on them... but I don't think its the norm.

.70ct is a great size. Its not small by any means. I say buy the size you can afford and don't lose the moment!!!!

Click here and look at my thread to see what a .70 looks like on a size 7 hand. Definitely not tiny.
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be great! As we were poor when we got engaged, I started with a diamond chip. It is needed the true meaning (intent to marry) behind the engagement that counts the most. If you are open to upgrades down the road, I'd purchase from someone who has very good upgrade policies like a full value of the stone upon trade-in and none of that 2x purchase value.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
A 0.7ct is a perfectly wonderful size diamond and there are many diamond cuts/shapes to choose from and many ways you can set it to capitalize on the size, if you wish.

Let it be known - the average diamond size here on PS is NOT necessarily the average diamond size that's out there, in your state/town/circle of friends.

Heh. Should be a disclaimer written atop the STMR thread.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/7/2008 9:01:29 AM
Author: tberube
A 0.7ct is a perfectly wonderful size diamond and there are many diamond cuts/shapes to choose from and many ways you can set it to capitalize on the size, if you wish.

Let it be known - the average diamond size here on PS is NOT necessarily the average diamond size that''s out there.

I have to thritto, quaditto this for sure!!! .70 is a lovely size, I would have been in HEAVEN if I could have got a diamond that size when I was first engaged!!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 9:03:44 AM
Author: Lorelei

Let it be known - the average diamond size here on PS is NOT necessarily the average diamond size that''s out there.

I have to thritto, quaditto this for sure!!! .70 is a lovely size, I would have been in HEAVEN if I could have got a diamond that size when I was first engaged!!

haha, lorelei, you quoted me while i was going back into my post and editing. I''ve been caught re-editing!! I swear I edit every post I leave. Haha...

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
You love her, she loves you....trust me she''d rather be engaged now than wait for a larger stone (that''s what anniversary''s are for
9.gif
)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/7/2008 9:05:28 AM

Date: 5/7/2008 9:03:44 AM
Author: Lorelei

Let it be known - the average diamond size here on PS is NOT necessarily the average diamond size that's out there.

haha, lorelei, you quoted me while i was going back into my post and editing. I've been caught re-editing!! I swear I edit every post I leave. Haha...
LOL!!!
face20.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Definitely stay ''in the moment'' and get the 0.7! A year is a long time to wait, and a 0.7 is a fabulous size! Let us know if you want help shopping!
36.gif

mezza

Rough_Rock
Hi all, thanks for all your very encouraging comments! If all goes well, i should be able to pop the question very soon. One additional question regarding ring-settings - i am considering a 6-prong ring ala "Tiffany-setting". Would that be too much for a 0.7ct?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 12:15:39 PM
Author: mezza
Hi all, thanks for all your very encouraging comments! If all goes well, i should be able to pop the question very soon. One additional question regarding ring-settings - i am considering a 6-prong ring ala ''Tiffany-setting''. Would that be too much for a 0.7ct?
Nope, sounds like a classic beauty to me! Do you already have the stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results