shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice from princess cut experts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ava15

Rough_Rock
Finally got the full report on my B & M diamond. Princess cut experts, comments?

Here are the stats:

Measurement: 4.72 x 4.64 x 3.69 mm

Weight: .70 ct
Depth: 79.7%
Table: 81%
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick polished
Culet: None
Finish
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good

Clarity: VS 2

Color: H

It has two extra facets on the top and bottom of the stone. And a few featherrs here and there.
Flourescence: Moderate, Blue

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/16/2008 9:40:27 PM
Author:Ava15

Finally got the full report on my B & M diamond. Princess cut experts, comments?

Here are the stats:

Measurement: 4.72 x 4.64 x 3.69 mm

Weight: .70 ct

Depth: 79.7%
Table: 81%
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick polished
Culet: None
Finish
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good

Clarity: VS 2

Color: H

It has two extra facets on the top and bottom of the stone. And a few featherrs here and there.
Flourescence: Moderate, Blue
Are you considering changing the diamond Ava? Ok I just read back, how do you feel about this diamond, do you love it?

Ava15

Rough_Rock
Hi Lorelei,

Well, I like my diamond but I am coming up on the last 30 days before I can no longer return it.

I have looked at the charts and I do wish it was an ideal cut rather than an "average cut," (yes pricescopers, I know cut is everything) but since coming to pricescope, I have learned that I1 stones aren''t the greatest (I traded in my peppered stone for this eye clean vs2) and that I can get away with a near colorless stone especially if it is less than a carat and has some blue flourescence! (See how far I''ve come?)
emteeth.gif

This diamond mining can be exhausting, especially when you want a princess cut.

I guess I just wanted to share my latest stats on my diamond (no sarins report, etc.) in case anyone wanted to let me know I was out of my mind for choosing this one!
emotion-40.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m not an expert, so the true experts can correct me if I''m wrong. AND of course with fancy cuts, pictures are worth 1000+ words! See if your jeweler has an idealscope and ask for a picture through that. Anyway, here''s what strikes me, in order of what I think is important...

1) The table is on the large side. Usually this means a stone will have less fire (reflection of colored light) than one with a smaller table.
2) The depth is also larger than some princesses I''ve seen, meaning it will face up on the small side. This is a concern to me because princesses usually face up smaller than rounds anyway.
3) I''d rather have a stone with VG or Ex polish and symmetry.
4) Fluorescence is kinda cool, but a better-cut H princess will look white without it.
5) I don''t know what effect the extra facets would have, if any.
6) Feathers can be a durability issue if they''re on the girdle, especially near the corners, which are already fragile in a princess. You can minimize corner breakage by setting it in V-prongs or a bezel though.

For comparison''s sake, here is an ideal-cut stone of the same carat weight, color, and clarity as yours. The price is pretty nice too.

Bottom line: if you love it, keep it...who cares what the numbers are? But I personally wouldn''t be satisfied with this one. I''d return it and look into the ACA.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2008 9:27:41 AM
Author: Ava15
Hi Lorelei,

Well, I like my diamond but I am coming up on the last 30 days before I can no longer return it.

I have looked at the charts and I do wish it was an ideal cut rather than an ''average cut,'' (yes pricescopers, I know cut is everything) but since coming to pricescope, I have learned that I1 stones aren''t the greatest (I traded in my peppered stone for this eye clean vs2) and that I can get away with a near colorless stone especially if it is less than a carat and has some blue flourescence! (See how far I''ve come?)
emteeth.gif

This diamond mining can be exhausting, especially when you want a princess cut.

I guess I just wanted to share my latest stats on my diamond (no sarins report, etc.) in case anyone wanted to let me know I was out of my mind for choosing this one!
emotion-40.gif
I understand. Is it possible your jeweller could get in some AGS0 cut grade Princess for you to view? These should have top cut and light performance, so you can compare the one you have to one of known cut quality.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Ava,

I think we're discussing the same diamond in this other thread, no?
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-this-princess-depth-outrageous.86120/

Date: 6/17/2008 10:41:20 AM
Author: jstarfireb
I'm not an expert, so the true experts can correct me if I'm wrong. AND of course with fancy cuts, pictures are worth 1000+ words! See if your jeweler has an idealscope and ask for a picture through that. Anyway, here's what strikes me, in order of what I think is important...

1) The table is on the large side. Usually this means a stone will have less fire (reflection of colored light) than one with a smaller table.
2) The depth is also larger than some princesses I've seen, meaning it will face up on the small side. This is a concern to me because princesses usually face up smaller than rounds anyway.
3) I'd rather have a stone with VG or Ex polish and symmetry.
4) Fluorescence is kinda cool, but a better-cut H princess will look white without it.
5) I don't know what effect the extra facets would have, if any.
6) Feathers can be a durability issue if they're on the girdle, especially near the corners, which are already fragile in a princess. You can minimize corner breakage by setting it in V-prongs or a bezel though.
Excellent input above.

We'd need to see placement of the extra facets to know significance. In many cases they're near the girdle where a bit of extra polish was needed (to remove a natural for example) but not always. They're not a clarity issue unless visible in the face-up view, and are typically considered in the symmetry grade - it would be helpful to know what lab graded the diamond.

I would make one slight correction to #2: It's not depth% but the distribution of weight that causes this diamond to face up with less spread (in this case the diamond is pavilion-heavy). There are plenty of princess cuts in the high 70s with shaping that allows them to face-up with a better weight to spread ratio. We get brainwashed (by rounds) into always associating depth with spread, but fancy cuts are variable. Let's not blame that poor, much-maligned depth% each time.
2.gif

We were discussing a related topic not too long ago: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-spread-discussion.87604/

Ava15

Rough_Rock
A.I.G. graded this diamond. They are based out of California.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results