shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for big fingers needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hazel29

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies!

I''m new to the boards, but I''ve been lurking a while. I am so impressed with all your extensive expertise!

I had a question for you (I posted something similar on LIW but would love your perspective as well) - I am starting the ring shopping process with my boyfriend soon, but I''m totally stumped about what kind of ring I want! I have giant fingers - like, size 9. I make jokes about my man hands all the time, but honestly I really hate them and I''m nervous about how any ring will look on them.

So, I was curious if you have any advice for styles that are more flattering on larger fingers. Here is what I know I like and don''t like: My style is generally classic - I am drawn to solitaires, or three-stone rings, possibly with sapphires as side stones. I''m inclined towards a basic round-brilliant or a princess cut, though I''d be open to other things. I don''t particularly like fancy shapes (pear, marquise) or halo settings (though I know they are very popular around here, and I''ve actually seen some on here that I like much more than I would have expected).

I think he''s willing to spend what sounds to me like a lot of money - around $25K, maybe? So I think that gives us a little flexibility to work with.

Anyway, I''d love to hear your suggestions! Or even see pictures of other big-hands-rings. Thanks for all the great advice!

Hazel

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something like 1.75-2 cts in whatever setting you want will be fine. I, personally, don''t think super-thin bands on large fingers is a good look.

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
Have you tried on an oval? If it''s not to fancy of a cut, it could elongate your finger.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 11:38:31 AM
Author: JoangA
Have you tried on an oval? If it's not to fancy of a cut, it could elongate your finger.
Oval is a good idea, round diamonds are a classic - or a nice emerald cut or radiant can look very elegant. I would see about trying on some different shapes in person, sometimes you can end up choosing a shape you wouldn't have even thought would be an option!

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
A halo is really in style now and can give you some great finger coverage if you''re worried about a diamond looking small, however with your budget, I think you''ll be able to get something substantial that will look beautiful!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
A classic three stone would be gorgeous! Imagine a diamond center with sapphire sides. Lots of finger coverage while still maintaining the classic look. I don't know SanDiegoLady's size, but I'm imagining her ring!
December%202008%20004.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 12:35:27 PM
Author: Upgradable
A classic three stone would be gorgeous! Imagine a diamond center with sapphire sides. Lots of finger coverage while still maintaining the classic look. I don''t know SanDiegoLady''s size, but I''m imagining her ring!
Good suggestion Ups!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hi Hazel

as someone with chubby fingers, I needed substantial finger coverage. I liked the solitare IF it was BIG...My center stone is 1.77 and I needed to halo it (2 reasons..I love vintage look and my fat fingers). I think if your fingers are big, a HUGE stone alone will be great BUT if not so huge then a nice size stone with side stones DEFINITELY! I love the look of center round diamond with sapphire stones on the sides. GL with your search. It''s a lot of fun!
35.gif

hazel29

Rough_Rock
Aaaah! I LOVE that ring that you posted a picture of!!! Do you know where I can get more info on it?

And thank you for all your other helpful suggestions - I''m so grateful!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
For 25k I think you could get a substanial size without worrying about halos. Like Julie, I''m not a fan of thin bands on bigger fingers. A thicker band with a 2.00ct stone would like great.

Or, Upgradables suggestion of a 3 stone would also give you lots of finger coverage
9.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:35:27 PM
Author: Upgradable
A classic three stone would be gorgeous! Imagine a diamond center with sapphire sides. Lots of finger coverage while still maintaining the classic look. I don''t know SanDiegoLady''s size, but I''m imagining her ring!

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
A 3 stone certainly would give you some finger coverage. This is one of my favorites with side pears. It makes a large ring look delicate.

LM3sttone.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I think a three-stone with round brilliants would look great! Lots of finger coverage, and you could do side sapphires as well, like SDL''s gorgeous ring:)

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I think a 3-stone ring with an oval centerstone would be perfect. You could either do pear sidestones or two more ovals.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have large hands (size 8). I never really noticed it until I started trying on rings...it was really hard to even get an idea of what I liked on my hand because none of the rings would FIT on my hand.

I''m a simple, active woman and always thought I''d get a solitaire, but found that rings with side stones seemed to work better on my hand---if you have the real estate to show multiple diamonds, you may as well, right? I don''t have a three-stone, but have very small 20 point pears on either side of my center stone and I like the extra sparkle it provides.

What was tough for me was finding band that wasn''t too thick or too thin. Too thick made my fingers look even bigger, for some reason. Too thin had the same effect...it seemed to emphasis the size of my fingers.

I have no doubt you will find something very adequate and beautiful with you budget!! Enjoy it!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results