shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for a Gift of Pearl Earrings

EchoEcho

Rough_Rock
My mom commonly wears white pearl stud earrings, but the pearls she wears are old, poor-quality, freshwater pearls. Although she recently bought nice sized and quality diamond studs for herself, she knows almost nothing about pearls and doesn't seem to understand that they don't have to look like white clay beads.

So I would like to purchase a nice quality pair of pearl earrings for her. I am trying to choose between 7.0-7.5 mm white hanadama studs and 8.0-9.0 white AAA South Sea studs. I realize there is a difference in luster, but which pair - in size and luster - would you consider more classic? These will likely be everyday earrings for her.

I would like to keep the price under $300, and I have been shopping on PP because I trust their CS and quality. But other suggestions would be welcome, too. Thank you!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Just to give you an alternative, here's the selection of plain studs from Jose;

http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/akoya-pearl-earrings/akoya-pearl-earrings-post-aepo.htm

use the pull down menu to pick your preference for size and quality. If you tell him you're from Pricescope, I think he pays extra careful attention in picking out your pearls.

I got some fabulous AAA golden pearl earrings from him and the pearl quality is amazing. The depth of the nacre and the luster are really beautiful. My DH ordered regular goldens for Xmas, but Jose remembered I had a deep golden strand, and sent the deep ones to match. He has a bunch of white south seas as well, but they may be over budget. Here's the golden I got http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/golden-south-sea-pearl-earrings/golden_south_sea_pearl_leverbacks_earrings_gelr.htm

I wear them with my golden strand (also from Jose), just about everywhere, even to the grocery store :bigsmile: He's also got some new sale items (which stinks, because I just blew my budget on a tourmaline! Pix coming soon to colored stones, if I decide to keep it) http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/discount-tahitian-pearls.htm

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
7.0-7.5 mm white hanadama studs

As someone said in another thread, there isn't anything more classic then a white Akoya pearl. Plus you'll be getting the best possible Akoya pearls on the planet versus good South Seas, you'll both appreciate the extra luster from the Hanadama more then the extra size with the South Sea's.

Also I don't know how old your mom is but lets face it as we get older our ears aren't as elastic and many women don't like the extra weight that comes with larger pearls.

alvina

Rough_Rock
i think pearls make a perfect gift at every age. i too gifted my mother one pearl string on her birthday. it makes her look more charming.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
SanDiegoLady|1302934471|2897586 said:
I was given a gift of the freshadama pearls from PP at Christmas.. They're gorgeous. Mine are 8.9-9mm & hingeback in white gold. I absolutely love them.

I want a link and some photos! I want the same but in yellow. I'd love to see how they look!

JacquiT

Rough_Rock
Trade
They are both great options! I would say to consider the size that would fit her nicely... and if you want to get her any matching pieces in the future you can think about which type of pearl may work best for her too.

mortiz888

Rough_Rock
Ohhh I love hanadama. South Sea are nice too, but can be so big. I guess it is about her prefernce though. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results