shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice: D VVS or F FL

grapefruit771

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on whether to purchase higher colour (D) with lower clarity (VVS) OR lower colour grade (F) with higher clarity (IF), all other factors being equal.

The diamond (for an e-ring) will ideally be:
- shape: round
- cut: ideal
- fluoressence: none
- symmetry: excellent
- size: 1.4 to 1.5 carat
- culet: none
- girdle: thin to medium
- depth: 59 - 61 % (of width)

Your advice on this is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely go with D and lower clarity. Some people can tell the difference between D and F colors (I can), yet both clarities you are considering are so high that both will be completely eye clean.

present4me

Rough_Rock
This is really a matter of personal preference. I went with the F FL as I wanted my stone to be 'mind clean', not just eye clean, and I found the difference between D and F to be minimal. Have you seen any stones side by side yet to see if you can tell the difference in color?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd prefer the D VVS- the inclusions are not visible and I prefer icy icy white

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

D color.

cheers--Sharon

grapefruit771

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

I have not seen any stones in person (sadly, these colour grades have not been available where I am) and so I plan to purchase on line.

Which leads to my next question, is it standard practice to have a stone that is purchased on line appraised (independently) once it is received?

Thanks again to all who reply.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
F VS1. Or if you must D VS1. I would not pay for more than VS1 clarity in a round brilliant.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
If I have to pick between the two I would choose D color. I can see a slight difference between D and F but I DEFINITELY won't be able to tell the difference between IF and VVS2 (unless I have an undiscovered super vision).

I would go D VS1 or even VS2 and buy a bigger stone. I think with the money you can most likely go over 1.7 ct if you down the clarity. With your naked eyes the 1.4 D VVS and 1.7 ct D VS2 should look exactly the same (given equal cut) except BIGGER!!! I'm all for paying for things I can see :bigsmile:

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
F VS2. I would never pay for higher clarity grades, and F is plenty colorless for me.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
D VVS if you must get clarity that high - and I can't tell the difference between D and F (just your average e-ring shopper, not a PS professional =) ), but I think there's something to be said for at least SOME inclusions so that you can identify it as your stone. Personally, even if price wasn't a factor (and DEFINITELY with the way prices really are, meaning I could get a bigger stone!), my sweet spot is SI1 -- so if a jeweler takes my ring back for cleaning or something, I can stare at it really closely afterwards and prove to myself the stone as mine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You generally can't see a thing in a VS1 diamond with a 10x loupe so anything above VS1 is really for mental reasons as the stones will not appear cleaner. D-F are beautifully colorless, so I would be happy with either color (what about E? I wouldn't eliminate that!) and I'd go with VS1 clarity or VVS if you must have it. What is your budget? The 1.4 range is sparse, so you may have to go into the 1.3 range.

jess719

Shiny_Rock
evergreen|1327290869|3109309 said:
D VVS if you must get clarity that high - and I can't tell the difference between D and F (just your average e-ring shopper, not a PS professional =) ), but I think there's something to be said for at least SOME inclusions so that you can identify it as your stone. Personally, even if price wasn't a factor (and DEFINITELY with the way prices really are, meaning I could get a bigger stone!), my sweet spot is SI1 -- so if a jeweler takes my ring back for cleaning or something, I can stare at it really closely afterwards and prove to myself the stone as mine.

I thought I was the only one who did this!! I probably look like a nut staring at it in the sunlight three inches from my face while I sit in the car! :D

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
jess719|1327295922|3109359 said:
evergreen|1327290869|3109309 said:

I thought I was the only one who did this!! I probably look like a nut staring at it in the sunlight three inches from my face while I sit in the car! :D

I do exacty the same thing. I have an SI1. When we were shopping for my e-ring I refused to look for anything in higher clarity because I know an eye-clean SI1 is more than good enough for me. When I got my stone from Brian Gavin I requested loose so we could all inspect it. My mom and my fiance couldn't see a darn thing. I put it really close to my face and could see one slight clear crystal from a certain angle due to the light reflection. I use that all the time after cleaning from the jeweler (like evergreen) to make sure that's my stone. Other than that it looks super clean to every human being. Even the appraiser said it looks like a VS2 under the microscope :))

I understand a lot of ppl want "mind-clean" so VS2 or VS1 (for larger stones that are easier to locate inclusions) are good choices. But VVS is definitely an overkill ;-)

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I have an F and it is very colorless (like an ice cube) but I think you should get the D because if these things are important to you, D is the perfect diamond, not F. You won't see anything even through loupe, probably with VVS so that's safe.
But you know, you should look first and see what is out there. The US is not a big market for stones of this quality, as people prefer size here, so I wouldn't theoretically decided on anything but look to see what is available. Just decide on a cut off point (say, F VVS) and look at what is available in that quality or above, that has other qualities that you want (like excellent or very good cut--don't get a poorly cut stone that is high color or high quality, especially one you can't see first, over the internet).

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree with Black Jade on this one. The criteria you are considering seem - arbitrary. Did your significant other say, she HAD to have a diamond that was either "flawless" or "colorless"? Beause really at those levels, its really more about bragging rights than a perceptiable visual difference.
As already stated I and the vast majority of people will not see imperfections VS range on up. D is more colorless than F, but you will pay dearly for that difference, when other parameters (size, affordability, availability) will more likely come into play.

Make a minimum level specs for yourself (someone said F, VS2) and see what is available in the size and price you are considering.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
F VS1. Then it's definitely mind AND eye clean but not overspent.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a D VS1 will look D IF to me.

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
I think the voting here is unanimous or nearly so, but FWIW I totally agree on higher color lower clarity. I have an E SI1 emerald cut and love it, no regrets whatsoever.

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the D VVS, but that's just my opinion.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, I wouldn't put any specific criteria on the stone. I've seen an H SI2 that had much better light performance than an F VVS and therefore was a much more beautiful stone.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I could ever think an IF was a good value. I like clarity... a lot... but after you get to VVS2, you will notice no difference. Why pay for one.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Didn't I read somewhere that the moment you set a FL stone it is minimally reduced to an IF, or more commonly a VVS1? I couldn't remember why, since the diamond shouldn't scratch but I SEEM to remember reading it.

But for what its worth, I would choose D VVS, as D and F can be determined by eye, but VVS and FL are indistinguishable.

bagelboy

Shiny_Rock
I think alot of guys first start out thinking they should buy high color/ high clarity diamond. After all, we found the perfect woman, so we should find a diamond that is perfect too. Until you look at diamonds in real life with your two eyes, start looking at the price changes for the various grades and colors. Then you notice what? That these color grades are so small, that those imperfections are very minute until you get down to the SI-1 clarity grade. My advice is to keep an open mind. The changes that are easiest to see is the size change and the change from badly cut to really well cut. A diamond that is very lively no matter what color or clarity is always more attractive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results