shape
carat
color
clarity

*advice appreciated!* Imperial Jade setting for Men’s Ring

Great Auk

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I’m a newbie here, but would very much appreciate any suggestions on how I should ask a jewelry designer to set this jade cabochon (see attached) into a men’s ring. The current setting the jade is in will be used for my lady and will have a black opal set into that one.

Have also attached the current thinking of a jeweler... a semi-bezel setting with a few diamonds.

What do you all think? Thanks very much for any advice. I am ok with modern or antique styles... all I can hope for is to have the setting display the jade to its fullest.

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect cab, bezel-set in a featureless high-kt yellow gold Gypsy-style ring. Or Pt, depending upon the tone. Maybe 1 - 2mm polished bezel and the rest of the ring matte-finished. Why detract from a great stone? If it's a mediocre stone, then distract away! I vote great stone + simple for a man's ring.

I'm US-based; YMMV.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out the Men's Bling thread in the Show Me The Bling section of the forum - there might be some good designs to inspire in there :)

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Perfect cab, bezel-set in a featureless high-kt yellow gold Gypsy-style ring. Or Pt, depending upon the tone. Maybe 1 - 2mm polished bezel and the rest of the ring matte-finished. Why detract from a great stone? If it's a mediocre stone, then distract away! I vote great stone + simple for a man's ring.

I'm US-based; YMMV.

I like this alot!
in fact, i have my dads jade ring in this exact style of setting. Its all highly polished 22kYG. It isnt the imperial jade that you have.....
I have made a thread about it. i will try and link it.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...5-yrs-without-seeing-the-light-of-day.215564/

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
15A2DDBA-525B-491F-9EE1-BA9C537B1B5A.jpeg 788DA476-0E38-46D0-A66C-786CA240E229.jpeg

Imperial jade should look good in most settings. Google ‘men jadeite ring’ and see which pics catches your eye. Current sketch has an 80’s (?) vibe with the scatter strip of diamonds and half bezel to me. Was that intentional?

And maybe don’t go for full bezel setting unless you are really sure you won’t change the settings again. I’ve heard before that you either destroy the stone or the bezel if you want to remove a stone from a bezel setting.

Attached two pics just for ideas.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Why fiddle with perfection? www - all about the stone, plus a couple of ho-hum choices for metal colour (the stone looks great in white!) & finish.

Side-stones? www

Last edited:

Great Auk

Rough_Rock

I'm US-based; YMMV.

Thanks very much LilAlex. Keep the lines clean =)2

Great Auk

Rough_Rock
Check out the Men's Bling thread in the Show Me The Bling section of the forum - there might be some good designs to inspire in there :)

Thanks OoohShiny. Shall take a look!

Great Auk

Rough_Rock
I like this alot!
in fact, i have my dads jade ring in this exact style of setting. Its all highly polished 22kYG. It isnt the imperial jade that you have.....
I have made a thread about it. i will try and link it.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...5-yrs-without-seeing-the-light-of-day.215564/

Great story Greg... I totally understand. Have been going through my grandfather's and uncle's heirloom jade and jewelry pieces (both have passed on) and have started to wear them all. It is very nostalgic and brings up fabulous memories! Enjoyed reading through your thread.

Great Auk

Rough_Rock
15A2DDBA-525B-491F-9EE1-BA9C537B1B5A.jpeg 788DA476-0E38-46D0-A66C-786CA240E229.jpeg

Imperial jade should look good in most settings. Google ‘men jadeite ring’ and see which pics catches your eye. Current sketch has an 80’s (?) vibe with the scatter strip of diamonds and half bezel to me. Was that intentional?

And maybe don’t go for full bezel setting unless you are really sure you won’t change the settings again. I’ve heard before that you either destroy the stone or the bezel if you want to remove a stone from a bezel setting.

Attached two pics just for ideas.

Wow, Icy_jade. Great pics and thanks. The current sketch was done by a designer who probably has been locked into the 70s to 80s look. He is a family friend and is trying to help.

Yes, completely understand about the full bezel setting. Perhaps semi-bezel then as he suggested. I Looks more contemporary perhaps. IMG_9009.JPG

I looked around and found the attached picture of a neat and clean design.

The jades and rings you have shown me are amazing. Wish my jade was that large! ;)2

Great Auk

Rough_Rock
Why fiddle with perfection? www - all about the stone, plus a couple of ho-hum choices for metal colour (the stone looks great in white!) & finish.

Side-stones? www

Got it. Yep, that's a nice and clean look too!

Reactions: AV_

Great Auk

Rough_Rock
Hi Miss Marple...:dance:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, Icy_jade. Great pics and thanks. The current sketch was done by a designer who probably has been locked into the 70s to 80s look. He is a family friend and is trying to help.

Yes, completely understand about the full bezel setting. Perhaps semi-bezel then as he suggested. I Looks more contemporary perhaps. IMG_9009.JPG

I looked around and found the attached picture of a neat and clean design.

The jades and rings you have shown me are amazing. Wish my jade was that large! ;)2
i love this
id wear it

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Great Auk — I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one who likes a gypsy setting.

By all means!

I could put up with the half bezel mentioned here ... keeping the opinion that there is no better way to peg a stone to a finger than a gypsy ring, certainly time tested.

Setting the stone E-W already makes it interesting enough methinks - whether half bezel or full gypsy; this is also an EW oval & I love the metal finish: WWW (you'd have to ask a caster to do their worst - if only onthe outer layer of the mould...)

These people make 'gypsy' rings with the body also carved out of something - I am not finding now one they have done in dark jade with a gold inlay for the 'stone'... this is another example WWW

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
East-West bezel set with a diamond halo.

Lovely stone by the way, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results