shape
carat
color
clarity

Ada Diamonds experiences

Chucky Loz

Rough_Rock
I have been looking for a diamond and quite tired of Brillieant Earth. I was quite spooked at BE after reading some of the posts here re their practices + problems refunding orders.
I am considering going with Ada diamonds after seeing them a few times on reddit. Anyone here have experience with them? Is it a good move to go with them or is it another BE kind of place?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you check rare caret?

Chucky Loz

Rough_Rock
Did you check rare caret?

I did - but their setting selection is not as good. The benefit of Ada is that they can customize the setting. I also looked at JA, but their setting selection was underwhelming too.

m1918

Shiny_Rock
No personal experience but I follow them on IG and I like how they show the stones they keep for inventory and the ones they reject and why. They seem really transparent and if I were to buy a MMD I would want someone to look at the stone for me first.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I have not had the pleasure of working with Ada , but I highly doubt they are like BE in most regards - it can feel a bit like a trap to not be able to puruse their inventory freely (I dislike feeling as though I'm barred from doing my own research , but there are experts for a reason....)

When I needed help with lab diamonds for my earrings, I ended up enlisting the services of Jon at Distinctive Gems. He asked my preferences and budget, and very quickly had a perfect for me pair. (He does custom settings to, in case you want another option)

While I enjoy seeing a giant list of diamonds to choose from, the truth is the list I'd par it down to is probably 4-6, and outsourcing that step to others is going to be my go-to in the future!

Do let us know your experience if you go with them!

Chucky Loz

Rough_Rock
I have not had the pleasure of working with Ada , but I highly doubt they are like BE in most regards - it can feel a bit like a trap to not be able to puruse their inventory freely (I dislike feeling as though I'm barred from doing my own research , but there are experts for a reason....)

When I needed help with lab diamonds for my earrings, I ended up enlisting the services of Jon at Distinctive Gems. He asked my preferences and budget, and very quickly had a perfect for me pair. (He does custom settings to, in case you want another option)

While I enjoy seeing a giant list of diamonds to choose from, the truth is the list I'd par it down to is probably 4-6, and outsourcing that step to others is going to be my go-to in the future!

Do let us know your experience if you go with them!

This is the famous jon I have heard so much about - what was your experience with him? How long did the whole process take?

No personal experience but I follow them on IG and I like how they show the stones they keep for inventory and the ones they reject and why. They seem really transparent and if I were to buy a MMD I would want someone to look at the stone for me first.

Yeah I like that they seem to be very specific on the kind of diamonds they carry. Just unsure how their prices compare - If they are 10% more expensive, great! If they are 40% more expensive, then not sure.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't worked with ADA, but they sound like a great, ideal vendor for LGD if you're looking for the best of the best.

I would prioritize getting the best stone first, you can always have David Klass or someone else set it for you!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
This is the famous jon I have heard so much about - what was your experience with him? How long did the whole process take?
My experience was great- he found me the perfect diamonds in about a week, custom designed settings took 3ish weeks to make(this was last year though, lead times vary). Gave him my budget and what I wanted for specs and he delivered! I'll be going back to him again next year for my 10 year anniversary diamond.

Chucky Loz

Rough_Rock
I haven't worked with ADA, but they sound like a great, ideal vendor for LGD if you're looking for the best of the best.

I would prioritize getting the best stone first, you can always have David Klass or someone else set it for you!

What have you heard so far? I have looked at so many stones but I do think they would be great since I could outsource the small details of the stone on which I am not an expert (strain lines, etc)

My experience was great- he found me the perfect diamonds in about a week, custom designed settings took 3ish weeks to make(this was last year though, lead times vary). Gave him my budget and what I wanted for specs and he delivered! I'll be going back to him again next year for my 10 year anniversary diamond.

Wow, that sounds amazing. Do you mind sharing your diamond details + price. I am sure the cost fluctuates but would love to get an idea. My biggest fear going away from BE-esque stores is that the price may skyrocket. But not sure if that is a real concern in practice.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
What have you heard so far? I have looked at so many stones but I do think they would be great since I could outsource the small details of the stone on which I am not an expert (strain lines, etc)

Wow, that sounds amazing. Do you mind sharing your diamond details + price. I am sure the cost fluctuates but would love to get an idea. My biggest fear going away from BE-esque stores is that the price may skyrocket. But not sure if that is a real concern in practice.

One thing to consider is that PSers will help you find an amazing stone for free! Just create a post with what you're looking for and I'm sure others will chime in.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
The CEO of Ada Diamonds (I think his name is Jason? Sorry if not!) often participates here and has always been very helpful and informative about lab stones. I've tapped out from buying for a while, but I think he has great stones and is interested in helping. Reach out and see.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Happy to share! My diamonds are .91 and .93 F, VS1 and VVS2 , ideal cut, hearts and arrows , and he did ASET images as well as the Sarin scan on both. $2,200 each , and the custom settings were $950 (which another vendor quoted me as well) .

Now, this was last year (pandemic times!!)- I'd expect to pay more like $1,800 to $2000 for these diamonds now, but he found a perfect matched pair with the size I wanted and came in under the budget I gave him for the project. He also verified that the stria (stain / growth lines) that can be seen on the gigantic videos don't impact visual performance (not all stria does, and he has a half hour ish video on YouTube showing how he evaluates each diamond individually for this).

BE has a .9, F VVS2 "super ideal" cut for sale for $2020- the .94 with the same specs is $2150

For me, I'm happy to pay a little extra for some peace of mind that a professional was able to offer, including all the images and custom videos of my diamonds he did for me.

That said, if you care to share your desired specs and budget, many of us would be happy to help you diamond hunt.

TinsieCat

Rough_Rock
I’ve tried both! Ada is NOTHiNG like BE. In fact BEs service was probably the worst out of over 10+ Jewelers I visited. I live in the Bay Area. I did end up going with ADA. They’re pricier than most, but for what I wanted, I realized I really needed an expert to help me source a high quality stone. Still saved 50% compared to mined though! I’m waiting for my setting to be completed now.

Chucky Loz

Rough_Rock
I’ve tried both! Ada is NOTHiNG like BE. In fact BEs service was probably the worst out of over 10+ Jewelers I visited. I live in the Bay Area. I did end up going with ADA. They’re pricier than most, but for what I wanted, I realized I really needed an expert to help me source a high quality stone. Still saved 50% compared to mined though! I’m waiting for my setting to be completed now.

Wow - do you mind sharing your timeline + costs? I was hoping to get something in the near 2ct range and have about 2 months left. Not sure if it is too ambitious or rushed.

Happy to share! My diamonds are .91 and .93 F, VS1 and VVS2 , ideal cut, hearts and arrows , and he did ASET images as well as the Sarin scan on both. $2,200 each , and the custom settings were $950 (which another vendor quoted me as well) .

Wow - that sounds like an amazing stone. I usually have to wait 2 weeks for BE to respond to any of my requests about extra images

For me, I'm happy to pay a little extra for some peace of mind that a professional was able to offer, including all the images and custom videos of my diamonds he did for me.

I think I am leaning towards this as well - I have done a ton of research but always feel like there is more to learn that I do not know.
The CEO of Ada Diamonds (I think his name is Jason? Sorry if not!) often participates here and has always been very helpful and informative about lab stones. I've tapped out from buying for a while, but I think he has great stones and is interested in helping. Reach out and see.

Do you mean contact the CEO of Ada? Woah! I would love to get his take but not sure If he would be bothered with my non-gigantic budget.

One thing to consider is that PSers will help you find an amazing stone for free! Just create a post with what you're looking for and I'm sure others will chime in.

That is a great idea! though the biggest limitation has been finding a setting that my partner loves.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I was hoping to get something in the near 2ct range and have about 2 months left. Not sure if it is too ambitious

Near 2 carat , alright , what else?
Give us desired shape, color range, clarity range, and your budget and let's see what we can dig up for you!

I would still reach out to Ada or Jon to see what they can find (they have access to a much larger pool to select from than we consumers).

And yes, give us some inspiration pictures of settings your partner likes and we can help with that too!

Chucky Loz

Rough_Rock
thank you all so much!!
Goal - 1.8 - 2.2 ct, excellent cut, G color or better (but H may be OK too), VS2 or better (as long as eye-clear), $7500 with setting - would be willing to go slightly above if the combo is a great value.

This is the setting my partner just found and really likes.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
This is the only ideal spec diamond (without blue nuance) that I could find in BE's inventory, but it is quite above your stated budget...the package comes out to $8910. I did not look at H color grade diamonds.

I will look at some other places later on and see what I can find.

While you are working with Ada, also contact Jon (Rhino) over at Distinctive Gems and see if he can make that setting and find you a diamond in your budget.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Found some other possibilities at BE:

Chucky Loz

Rough_Rock
This is the only ideal spec diamond (without blue nuance) that I could find in BE's inventory, but it is quite above your stated budget...the package comes out to $8910. I did not look at H color grade diamonds.

I will look at some other places later on and see what I can find.

While you are working with Ada, also contact Jon (Rhino) over at Distinctive Gems and see if he can make that setting and find you a diamond in your budget.

wow that one is incredibly sparkly! amazing stone! Thank you so much for taking the time!

The other two are also incredibly nice!

I think it is a great idea to reach out to Jon at Distinctive Gems!

m1918

Shiny_Rock
Just throwing out another idea—I’ve seen one or two people on this sub who have reached out to Victor Canera to source an MMD. If you went this route you’d have someone, who is highly recommended on this forum, with eyes on the stone. I wonder if your SO would like this setting which is somewhat similar to the BE one you posted:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results