shape
carat
color
clarity

Acquiring large synthetic ruby

combatvolcano

Rough_Rock
I need a very large single synthetic ruby. At least fist sized or larger. Anywhere I can source this? Uncut.

Thanks all. Much love.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Synthethic corundum, flame fusion, is grown as boules. These are like sausage shaped columns that are usually split down the centre to release the crystalline tension. A company called Gravescompany.com sells them in sizes up to 250 carats. D0D705E1-DE51-4992-B77E-31F94112B440.jpeg

combatvolcano

Rough_Rock
Synthethic corundum, flame fusion, is grown as boules. These are like sausage shaped columns that are usually split down the centre to release the crystalline tension. A company called Gravescompany.com sells them in sizes up to 250 carats.

Thanks you're the best!

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
The challenge you may find is that while synthetic sapphire rough can come in big sizes, it mostly comes in long tubes (boules) or sheets.

Would glass suffice? That you might be able to find fist-sized.

combatvolcano

Rough_Rock
The challenge you may find is that while synthetic sapphire rough can come in big sizes, it mostly comes in long tubes (boules) or sheets.

Would glass suffice? That you might be able to find fist-sized.

Unfortunately what I need really is a 12 cm + surface of relatively pure aluminum oxide crystal backed by enough additional material to act as a heat sink. I calculate 12 centimeters cylindrical and deep would work. This is for a possible science application. I think (as many fools have before) that I have an idea that could work that nobody may have thought of.

The first step was to find out the price of such a material. Thank you for your advice. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately what I need really is a 12 cm + surface of relatively pure aluminum oxide crystal backed by enough additional material to act as a heat sink. I calculate 12 centimeters cylindrical and deep would work. This is for a possible science application. I think (as many fools have before) that I have an idea that could work that nobody may have thought of.

The first step was to find out the price of such a material. Thank you for your advice. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Oooh, love experiments! Good luck to you, @combatvolcano

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock

You may want to reach out to places like rusgems, tairus, or other synthetic rough makers. They may be able to give you a better sense of price/feasibility. Good luck to you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results