shape
carat
color
clarity

Acinom-inspired blue aqua ring: Help with DK CADs?

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
With the gracious Acinom's blessing, I'm going to have David Klass make a beautiful engraved platinum ring for this lovely stone -- https://www.etsy.com/listing/232992074/545ct-precision-cut-deep-greenish-blue -- bought from the patient Elle of The Gemstone Project:

il_570xn_205.jpg

...in the style of Acinom's Paraiba Sea Resort ring (all the beautiful pictures: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/paraiba-sea-resort-ring-by-david-klass.214231/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/paraiba-sea-resort-ring-by-david-klass.214231/[/URL]).

_31484.jpg

Here are David's CADs: I'd asked him to follow the shape of the stone exactly (he doesn't have it in hand yet, just based it on photos -- I had a baby last week & that derailed my FedEx plans :D but it's headed to him tomorrow or Tuesday!) and to set it as low as possible.

I think I'd prefer double claw prongs since the corners of the stone are pointy (one on each side of the point to protect it), and don't want two-tone (it'll be all platinum), but otherwise, what suggestions does PS have? Do you like the gallery? Maybe a narrower split in the split shank?

35764.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have anything to add about the ring, but CONGRATULATIONS on the baby!! How exciting!! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats with the birth of your little baby!! How exciting for you.

You have such a beautiful aqua. What an amazing find. I am so honored that you are inspired by my ring. Double claws will look beautiful with your stone.
I am not a good CAD-reader. I always need help from my PS friend Arkieb. I would want to see as much of the stone as possible from the profile, so personally I would choose a more open profile. But I do like this profile as long as he uses thin metal to create an open look.

I would say it's a great first CAD. It will be a beautiful ring. Will it be engraved all over or partly?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Again, congratulations on the new addition to your family!

Also, I :appl: your stone - I remember admiring that listing - can't wait to seen the end result!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish the split shank was a bit more concave in the bottom left photo.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Mochiko, Acinom, Chroman -- thanks for your congratulations & your advice! :) And especially, Acinom, thanks for letting me borrow your design. :D I have been pining over this stone for, like, a year (it was posted on LoupeTroupe a looooong time ago, which is how I first met it!) and it's my husband's birthstone, so we're making this a special ring.

Acinom, I completely agree with you about the profile. I love being able to see - and clean - stones so I'll mention it to David so he knows the gallery should be as open as possible. I don't want plain 'ol struts, I know that, so maybe this is a happy medium & a lot of metal will come off in the polishing process?

The ring will be engraved almost all over -- I don't want it going around the bottom of the shank, so maybe 3/4 engraved around the shank, to allow for sizing and wear. 2/3-engraved? 3/4? What do people usually do?

Niel, I've mocked up a more concave shank and I like the way it looks generally but -- the stone is so wide that I think the concavity will make the engraving less featured (i.e., the cathedral has to be practically vertical). What do you think? You're one of my favorite CAD whisperers so appreciate your thoughts!

35764_0.jpg

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Bump! Any thoughts? Concave vs convex cathedral? :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is your concern that the engraving will not be visible from the top view of the ring?
If so i don't think that would be a problem. It's very tall so even if it's not visible from a direct birds eye, you're going to see a lot of the sides just by the nature of how high they go above your finger

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with your suggestions to David!

And 1 vote for the convex shank. I do not think you can go wrong though. What does your gut feeling say?

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the profile view with the concave sides, but the more I look at the inspiration ring & try to imagine it with concave sides, I feel like the engraving (while it will be visible from some angles) will get short shrift. My gut says go with convex, as the original CADs showed. Thanks, all. :) It's so helpful to hear your opinions!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you go wrong if you choose for concave sides. It will look very elegant with your stone. Either way it will be a beautiful stone. It could also be interesting to hear David's recommendation, but most important is how you feel about it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you been able to make a choice regarding the shank shape?

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sticking with the original plan. :) I also feel like since it's such a large stone (much larger than any other ring I have), and sits relatively high off the finger, the original curvature of the cathedral pieces would smooth out the transition between shank & stone & somehow protect the stone from blows. (I imagine this to be true. :) It makes me feel better to think about it that way, anyway!)

I think DK should have a "final" CAD soon -- we've made the gallery more delicate & I've asked for it to fit a bit more tightly to the pavilion of the stone -- and I'm just so excited to move forward. :D David has been just terrific to work with; very patient and happy to accommodate very picky detail-oriented requests. I'm having him set another stone, an emerald-cut diamond, and each time I ask for a change he happily and without issue incorporates it, doing a brilliant job of interpreting what I want on both of these rings!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to see the newest CAD!

How exciting for you that David is creating yet another beautiful ring for you. What design have you chosen for your emerald cut diamond?

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Here's the final CAD! After David made the gallery struts more delicate & brought in the "ballooniness" -- so it fits tighter to the pavilion of the stone, smaller donut than original CAD, etc -- I really felt like the convex shank looked best. My biggest concern was the visual space the convex shank would've taken up on such a large stone/ring already, but the delicacy of the gallery now balances it well, IMO.

(Note: it does still say 2-tone; it will be all platinum, but cast in 2 pieces & hand-assembled, hence the differentiation between the 2 parts on the CAD!)
35764.png

I love how the subtle angles of the stone's girdle (it's not a perfect rectangle) are mirrored by the metal "halo".

As with the Acinom inspiration ring (thanks again, Acinom!!! <3 ), it'll be hand-engraved & milgrained all over (well, 3/4 around the shank, which will keep me from neurotically not using my hand while wearing it...!).

Thanks for asking about the other ring -- I have a long thread on the search for the stone, but knew just what I wanted for the setting so that journey isn't on PS. The diamond I'm having him set is a 0.90 J/VS2 emerald cut as a sort of alternative engagement ring. (My work involves gloves on-and-off & sometimes removing all rings for sterility reasons, which increases risks of things getting lost... I've been frequently wearing a simple 4.5mm round bezeled simulant-which-shall-not-be-named for about a year, but have always wished it was a diamond! And in a prettier setting. :D )

Here are the final CADs for that ring! It will be milgrained delicately just at the inner bezel-stone junction. I'll be wearing it stacked with 1 or 2 2mm rose gold bands.
35763.png

What's funny is that it's almost the same concept (split shank, concave, bezel) as my engagement ring... so with two concave split shank rings, maybe it's good I'm sticking with convex split shank for the aquamarine, for variety, haha. I have a ring "type"! :lol:

Can't wait to have these finished! I'll definitely post a ton of pics on a SMTB thread & will link from this CS thread so those interested will see it pop up. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see both of these rings. What metal will the second one be?

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
18k rose gold. :) I'd wanted a faint brown diamond, but turns out specifying emerald, good light return, AND faint brown really puts you in the region of hen's teeth and unicorn tears. ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
evergreen|1479941783|4102028 said:
18k rose gold. :) I'd wanted a faint brown diamond, but turns out specifying emerald, good light return, AND faint brown really puts you in the region of hen's teeth and unicorn tears. ;-)

Been there! That'll be lovely I can't wait to see

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love both CAD's. What a luxurious feel to have two custom made rings created. I am looking forward to see the result.

Love the proportions on the aqua ring. Beautiful gallery.

And I love the simple chic elegance of the emerald cut diamond ring.

You have a beautiful ring style :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results