shape
carat
color
clarity

About to pull the trigger - 3.01 round / excellent / H /VS1

newdiamond321

Rough_Rock
Hello!

New poster here but really appreciate all the advice everyone has given!

I am nearing the end of my diamond hunting process and a private jeweler showed the me the following diamond. He's given me a GIA, Gemex, and HCA. It has the hearts and arrows and 90%+ light return (the red light test). I've uploaded the GIA report.

Price wise, I'd rather not anchor you. What would you guess something like this would go for?

GIA Report.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am nearing the end of my diamond hunting process and a private jeweler showed the me the following diamond. He's given me a GIA, Gemex, and HCA. It has the hearts and arrows and 90%+ light return (the red light test). I've uploaded the GIA report.

Price wise, I'd rather not anchor you. What would you guess something like this would go for?

GIA Report.png
Any pics? what do you mean by "a private jeweler"?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The isn't an ideal cut diamond, and I have no clue what he / she means by "red light test". Does that mean IS/ASET images? What does it score on the HCA? For a 60/60 this will likely perform well, but it's not a traditionally ideal cut stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps. HCA is under 2 which is good.

Here are similar in-house stones that are super ideals. As you can tell they very in price. In the 34-39k range seems common.

Screenshot_20190831-132235_Chrome.jpg

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as price- Blue Nile has a very similar stone for $47k

newdiamond321

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick responses!

By private jeweler, I meant not big retail (Tiffanys) or blue nile/james allen.

Here's the HCA and gemex reports I have.
HCA Report.png Gemex Report.png

On the red light, yes I meant the ASET, sorry didn't know the name. It comes back as 90%+ red light with the hearts and arrows showing clearly.

Can you elaborate on the not ideal cut part? I'm happy to go back to the dealer and ask all the questions so keep them coming!

My jeweler is coming out in mid $40k so definitely more than the $32-39k and I'm wondering if this is actually any better?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can find some I color stones with preferable specs in the 34-36k range, and H color (vs2/vs1) with preferable specs in the 40-48k range. Likely you could find an H/SI1 that's eye clean for under 40k

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the quick responses!

By private jeweler, I meant not big retail (Tiffanys) or blue nile/james allen.

Here's the HCA and gemex reports I have.
HCA Report.png Gemex Report.png

On the red light, yes I meant the ASET, sorry didn't know the name. It comes back as 90%+ red light with the hearts and arrows showing clearly.

Can you elaborate on the not ideal cut part? I'm happy to go back to the dealer and ask all the questions so keep them coming!

My jeweler is coming out in mid $40k so definitely more than the $32-39k and I'm wondering if this is actually any better?
Here are the ranges we recommend:
Table: 54-57, sometimes 58
Depth: 60-62.4
Crown : 34-35
Pavillion: 40.6-40.8

Can you show us the ASET?

newdiamond321

Rough_Rock
I don't have it but will ask the dealer to get it, is there anything else I should ask for that you would like to see?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have it but will ask the dealer to get it, is there anything else I should ask for that you would like to see?
No,that's it. Just don't know what "90% light return" is. There isn't a chart or numbers with an ASET. it's all just looking at it and judging it by eye, so I'm curious what it looks like.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this stone from WF it is a super ideal cut I color stone for 33K

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4045357.htm

and the setting in platinum was modified for changes that I wanted.

ring3.jpg

You will pay more for being over 3 carats and your color is a step higher which also raises the price, but mid 40s? not sure seems a bit over what you could get from WF.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup that is why I tried to get below the 3 carat mark but it has the dimensions of a 3 carat stone and the I color, I would have rather had a G because well its a G! but I don't see any color on my stone. And Weechew he's paying for a VS1! crazy, VS2 is the sweet spot but I knew I would never get a 3 carat stone in a G color VS2, that is close to if not 50K :)

The three carat mark, plus the color upgrade, is a killer.
72C0598F-9F41-4B04-A067-AD5A166C43F2.png

newdiamond321

Rough_Rock
Hi thanks for all the responses!

Here's the ASET. Hearts and arrows, plus lightscope pictures are taken real time. I'm being told this diamond has top light return you can get, so I'm trying to figure out how to sense check that claim and whether I'm getting a fair price or getting scammed off here for a high quality/high price diamond.
ASET.jpg HA picture.jpg Lightscope.jpg Arrows.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is nowhere near super ideal cut nor H&A.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is nowhere close to top cut. Not even close. The jeweler is either ignorant (which is bad) or outwardly lying (even worse)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the ranges we recommend:
Table: 54-57, sometimes 58
Depth: 60-62.4
Crown : 34-35
Pavillion: 40.6-40.8

Can you show us the ASET?

@lovedogs - I suspect it's an idealscope, not an ASET. Idealscopes are ok. ASETs are much better. (ETA OP now has both, so there's that.)

Firstly, I'm not a fan of those very low rise, flat-ish sorts of stones. I think they lack aesthetic beauty, as well as it compromising light return.

And no. The cut is definitely not an H&A. You can do way better, OP.

L

lydial

Here's the ASET. Hearts and arrows, plus lightscope pictures are taken real time. I'm being told this diamond has top light return you can get, so I'm trying to figure out how to sense check that claim and whether I'm getting a fair price or getting scammed off here for a high quality/high price diamond.

Sorry but the hearts aren’t supposed to look like that. Not a great cut. Definitely not ideal.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That’s not the worst ASET I’ve seen, but that certainly is not “top light return” :eek2:

Please keep looking.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is not a super ideal stone with "top light return". But for a non-super ideal, this is a decent stone with decent light return. Mid 40k is not an steal for a stone this quality, but an average price. But seeing that you are asking on PS, the folks here aren't gonna be happy with this stone no matter what price. But outside of PS, this stone probably beats 95% of what non-PSers own. As another poster already pointed out, a super ideal of this carat weight, color, similar clarity would go for about 50k. Only you can decide if the extra 5K is worth it. Or maybe you decide you are totally fine with an super ideal I color for less?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not a super ideal stone with "top light return". But for a non-super ideal, this is a decent stone with decent light return. Mid 40k is not an steal for a stone this quality, but an average price. But seeing that you are asking on PS, the folks here aren't gonna be happy with this stone no matter what price. But outside of PS, this stone probably beats 95% of what non-PSers own. As another poster already pointed out, a super ideal of this carat weight, color, similar clarity would go for about 50k. Only you can decide if the extra 5K is worth it. Or maybe you decide you are totally fine with an super ideal I color for less?
I think it's overpriced given that it's not actually the size of a 3ct stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results