shape
carat
color
clarity

About to hand over the money today: plz help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mattm204

Rough_Rock
I am picking up an engagement ring I had made. I bought both the stone and the ring from the same place. The ring had to be made and I asked that he not set the stone until i had a chance to look at both the ring and the stone again before he set it. Well, he forgot and he set it anyway without me seeing the stone (by itself) again. It is a hearts and arrows stone (I saw when I visited the store last time). He says I can view the stone under a microscope while it is in the ring but I know it will be hard to judge the color against the platinum and I don''t believe I''ll be able to see the hearts and arrows (or will I?). It has both a GIA cert and a AGS cert. Should I be worried that he might have switched the stone before he set it or am i being paranoid? What do you guys think? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/20/2003 1:39:26 PM mattm204 wrote:

I am picking up an engagement ring I had made. I bought both the stone and the ring from the same place. The ring had to be made and I asked that he not set the stone until i had a chance to look at both the ring and the stone again before he set it. Well, he forgot and he set it anyway without me seeing the stone (by itself) again. It is a hearts and arrows stone (I saw when I visited the store last time). He says I can view the stone under a microscope while it is in the ring but I know it will be hard to judge the color against the platinum and I don't believe I'll be able to see the hearts and arrows (or will I?). It has both a GIA cert and a AGS cert. Should I be worried that he might have switched the stone before he set it or am i being paranoid? What do you guys think? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

----------------
Unless the stone is inscribed and that inscription can been viewed when mounted, I would ask him to remove the stone so I could view it. Where he had been instructed not to set it, it's his mistake and he should be gracious on this.

My personal feeling is, he should provide each piece separately anyway, because you'll likely want to take it to be appraised and would want it unset for that.

FYI, You'll be able to see the arrows when mounted, but not the hearts.

mattm204

Rough_Rock
hmmm. thanks for the input. Will unsetting/re-setting negatively affect the prongs or ring at all? I.e. will it weaken the prongs or make them look "worn" or even damage the diamond? Or is unsetting/resetting a common and easy thing to do with rings? (I'm a novice if you can't tell.)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
If the stone has an AGS cert & GIA cert, I would not be concerned. If you look at the plot, you should be able to determine if it's the original stone.

Unless, you wanted to have an independent appraisal prior to setting the stone. Proper grading should be done on an unset stone.

All boils down to how much trust you have in the jeweler.

As for unsetting the stone, it would depend upon the setting. Why don't you ask him how easy it is, if that would ease your mind?

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results