shape
carat
color
clarity

about to buy, would love and appreciate your input!!

StoneSearching9

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody!!

After looking at dozens of stones I've narrowed it down to what I think is a good one in my budget. I have two questions.

1. Is an 'i' color too yellow, in any light, at any angle. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head about it, looking at the scale and where mine is (especially when i'm spending this kind of money). Will she ever hold it next to a D diamond? No. Will I cringe if I look at it and see yellow? YES. Which brings me to my next question, am I getting a fair price?

$7900, with a simple tiffany 4 prong white gold setting:

gia
round
1.42 carat
i color
si2
excellent excellent excellent
no fluorescence
(addtl clouds/pinpoints not shown)
medium-slightly thick faceted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'll answer your 2nd question first - I ran a PS search for 1.41-1.43ct I-SI2 diamonds with GIA XXX reports and the results returned had a price range of $7,600 to $10,164 - so yes, I think the $7900 price which includes a simple 14kt WG solitaire setting is well within the fair market range.

As to your 1st question, an I color diamond is in the Near Colorless range (G/H/I). While I do not believe an I-SI2 diamond will look yellow (unless you are in a yellow room or wearing yellow clothing), it will have a visible tint which will be more or less noticeable depending on the viewing angle, the environment, and lighting conditions.

Honestly, for me an I-color diamond at any carat weight has too much tint for my preference - but for many, many others, a well-cut I-color diamond would be their first choice.

Does your GF have any color preference? Does she prize size/carat weight over color?

Does the vendor have a solid "no questions asked" return policy, so that you can purchase the diamond in its setting, and then examine it yourself in different environments while within the return period?

[This diamond is an SI-2 - did you check with the vendor as to location of inclusions and whether it is eyeclean to your satisfaction and/or the inclusions are in prong-able locations?]

StoneSearching9

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the time. I did notice a slightly yellow tint, but I was comparing it next to an E on a white sheet of paper. My jewler assured me that would obviously never be the case, and that it would be very very very difficult to see any tint of yellow in any light.

He has no problem returning the stone.

here's the cert: http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=2136259720&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

ANY advice you could give me would be so greatly appreciated.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couple of things -

1) - scores well on the HCA - good thing

2) - clarity is an SI2, and the notes say additional clouds not shown. It looks like a pretty messy plot already, but the inclusions aren't all under the table, so you may get lucky and have it be eye clean. Maybe not. And I'd worry those additional clouds not shown may interfere with the light return of the stone. Is it eye clean to your standards?

3) - color: it depends. Seriously - it's a personal thing. I have a D, 2 G's, an I and a J - and I like them all. Even the J is very pretty, but I can see the tint, although I wouldn't call it yellow or bothersome at all. I had an L for a while, and it was too tinted for me, but with the J it just seems to give it some personality. It's not like you hit I color and suddenly it's yellow - it is a graduating scale. And it's not even that it is "yellow" - just more of a very slightly off-white. Like when you go into the paint section at Home Depot and you are shocked there are so many shades of "white"!

4) - How will it be set? If you have an open setting (like the 4-prong you are considering) where you can see the pavillion from the side a lot then if you are worried I'd go whiter if you think the tint will bother you. If it is a more closed setting, or even a bezel, you won't notice the color as much as you'll only see it face up.

Can you get an idealscope image?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results